SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-20, 05:56 AM   #1
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 222
Uploads: 0
Default Playable Ships

A while ago I downloaded some playable ships, (Not Human Playable), I tried to do a simple mission earlier but the mission crashed on startup.

I put them in the ship folder and they didn't show in the list using the editor, then I put them in the submarine folder and same result.

I made the mission using the ships I had in the list then changed them manually in notepad but that is when I got the ctd.

Any ideas please?

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 08:18 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

A ship in the game must be defined in the following files and folders:

Data\Sea with correct name folder; most important ship definition files, all these files (sim, dat, cfg, dsd, sns, dds, val, zon, eqp) must be present and edited correcly for the ship to appear in the game (or CTD!); from what I could see, depending on what you introduce or change, only some files need to be created or changed for a ship, the game will then use the other default files, you may have to copy and rename those files and put them in the ship folder;
Data\Roster\names.cfg where your ship must be with the exact name and unit type; important for single missions and campaigns as well;
Data\Roster\American (or other countries)\Sea to tell the game which textures to load with the ship (dds files located in the Sea folder files) and which are the appearance dates;
Data\UPCData\... for the submarine (aka playable human ship) presence and behavior in campaign
Then, your ship can be used in a mission file *.mis located in the campaign folder, or in single mission folder or in the single patrol section.

This list is not complete, I'm not a ship builder
Also the list doesn't include all the files and folders for all what comes with the ship which is: the pictures and picture category for the maps and recognition book, environment effects (motion, sinking, trails, etc.), the crew, the weapons that your ship will use and the ship's damage model. Most of this is defined in the Sea folder , but also elsewhere.

I hope this helps, good luck and good work to build your ship!
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-05-20 at 09:15 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-20, 05:53 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I forgot to mention:

If you are using the Mission Editor, then you must put all mission files directly into [game install folder]\Data\... , for example in Data\SingleMissions. The Data folder is the default location where the ME is looking for files and those files it needs to run the program. Alternatively you can create a new project in ME, create a template mission and save it, this will also make ME 'remember' the path and so you can put *.mis files in that path to open afterwards with ME.
Opening *.mis files from other locations will start ME but crash it when you try to open a mission.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote