SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-20, 01:15 AM   #1
holohw
Watch

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0
Default Silent hunter 4 historical battles?

Im running TMO wtw with RSRDC and im tryin to find some historical battles. I have researches battles in the Pacific and i was in Badung strait on the 19-20 of february 1942 when it was supposed to have happened yet all i found was a convoy but no battle? Are there only certain battles included or does anybody habe any tips to finding them?
holohw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 08:53 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

In SH5 (WoS mod) and with some mods in SH3 (WAC campaign in particular) you will undoubtly find historical battles if you are at the right place at the right time. Instead in SH4...I would say no, because of the way the campaign is done to spawn ship units which only have a certain probability to materialize in your game session. This increases re-playability but doesn't allow to meet historical battles except some great ones like Midway or Coral Sea, and to a much less extend compared to what you can see in SH3 or SH5.
The campaign system in SH4 is highly similar to what you can see when playing SH1, convoy or task forces will randomly appear as icons on the map with some limited data available to you, ships will head towards ports and 'disappear', additionally in SH4 there are some port battles you can see or increased traffic during 'dynamic missions' were your mission orders may differ from the usual riff-raff, the only positive difference compared to SH1.

To be sure, you can open the *.mis files located in Data\Campaigns\Campaign folder and see for yourself at which date intervall the different groups will spawn in the game, you will notice that the probability in RSRDC is rather low otherwise you would find ships everywhere all the time.

I know what I'm talking about because I have made a mod to increase the campaign traffic in the FOTRSU mod which has very low default traffic to be found without excessive searching. The TMO and RSRDC mod have also greatly reduced campaign traffic and extensively changed the campaign files, introducing historical routes , but the chance that you will just see the battle you want is very low also because: there are only few friendly units in these modded campaigns to make up for big battles. In other terms: These mods were not made for Hollywood-style battles to watch.

Cheers,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-03-20 at 09:31 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 01:34 PM   #3
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by holohw View Post
Im running TMO wtw with RSRDC and im tryin to find some historical battles. I have researches battles in the Pacific and i was in Badung strait on the 19-20 of february 1942 when it was supposed to have happened yet all i found was a convoy but no battle? Are there only certain battles included or does anybody habe any tips to finding them?

My experience engaging in historical battles in the Stock SH4 was less than stellar, but a listing of significant WWII Pacific battles can be found at
http://www.combinedfleet.com/battles/
Unsure if/how many of those may be included in SH4 or any mods
Good hunting!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote