SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-22, 05:24 PM   #1
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0
Icon9 No Sh4...

Can't load SH4 on my new PC! And don't understand why, because yesterday I installed the game for the first time on my new PC and manage to load it.

After installation of the game and the update to 1.5, it loaded fine. Changes the graphics and other options, did a war patrol to see if the mission would run fine.

Enable trigger maru overhauled and other mods, also fine. I load a saved patrol and all good.

Today I come to play and black screen when loading and noting. After rebooting the computer and disabling the mods, the intro clips do appear but no loading screen.

Decided to re-install and same thing now.

Bummer and I thought that SH3 would give me problems. It is running fine.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-22, 10:13 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post

Can't load SH4 on my new PC! And don't understand why, because yesterday I installed the game for the first time on my new PC and manage to load it.

After installation of the game and the update to 1.5, it loaded fine. Changes the graphics and other options, did a war patrol to see if the mission would run fine.

Enable trigger maru overhauled and other mods, also fine. I load a saved patrol and all good.

Today I come to play and black screen when loading and noting. After rebooting the computer and disabling the mods, the intro clips do appear but no loading screen.

Decided to re-install and same thing now.

Bummer and I thought that SH3 would give me problems. It is running fine.
Where is the location for the SH4 install.. for 1...

2ndly, assume that you did go into the SH4.exe's properties file & set it from 'read only', Yes..???

That's to start with.

M. M.
Old 03-24-22, 10:23 PM   #3
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Don't know if it would cause that, but did you run Large Address Aware on sh4.exe?
Old 03-25-22, 03:40 AM   #4
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Where is the location for the SH4 install.. for 1...

2ndly, assume that you did go into the SH4.exe's properties file & set it from 'read only', Yes..???

That's to start with.

M. M.
Location is a folder Jogos (games) in the root of C.
Yes,I did that. The box was checked for read only. But only did it after the game began to not load. The first time, which went fine, I did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Don't know if it would cause that, but did you run Large Address Aware on sh4.exe?
No, only read it about it when I began to search for solutions. I noticed something in the link: the installation guide for SH4, the windows media 9 codecs are checked. I unchecked those during my installation. Can that be the problem? I think not,but...
Will try to run the Laa to the game.
Old 03-25-22, 05:00 PM   #5
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

No do!

I already tried also to do a clean install twice and the same problem happens.
I have the felling the problem was cause by me:
As I said, I installed the game, updated to 1.5 and run the first time and went well. Enable the mods I used and run the game again, all fine.

I did run CCleaner before i shutdown the PC for the day; I know that the program do detect some SH3 files when running the registry cleaner and I put them on the ignore list. Normally sh4 files are not pickup by it (at least on my old pc). It could erase something.

Why I bring this, because after my two installations after the issue appeared, there is no SH4 icon on my desktop.

The game just begin and them does not load the main loading screen. My desktop resolution goes to the default game one,but noting appears, just a black game window.

Edit: Resolved! After researching about the problem, I found about the "evil black screen". Just edited the main.cfg and changed synchronised to yes and presto!

Last edited by Rhodes; 03-26-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-27-22, 11:21 AM   #6
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Default Helllpppp

I do not understand. Yesterday,has I wrote in the edit above,I manage to get the game running. Today,went to play and got the same problem.
No loading,just a black screen. I already did 2 clean installations and changed the synchronized to yes in the main.cfg in the sh4 folder of my documents,but now,that does not resolve the problem.
I need help!
It appears windows 11 is always reverting something or if Install anything new,she goes beserk.
Just installed steam and U-boat,since I have the game.
Old 03-27-22, 01:44 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
I do not understand. Yesterday,has I wrote in the edit above,I manage to get the game running. Today,went to play and got the same problem.
No loading,just a black screen. I already did 2 clean installations and changed the synchronized to yes in the main.cfg in the sh4 folder of my documents,but now,that does not resolve the problem.
I need help!
It appears windows 11 is always reverting something or if Install anything new,she goes beserk.
Just installed steam and U-boat,since I have the game.
Believe therein lies the cause of your... angst...

Windows 11...

Do know there were... concerns if it would mess up or interfere with running older games, & knew that eventually... there would be a brick wall ran into, that would stymie older games from being able to be ran, at all.

It seems that such a wall, has been found... Now, the question is... will Microsoft give enough of a rat's backside on making it where older games can be played... or not.

My edu-Me-cated guess is... in all likelihood... NOT.... but... that's just a WAG, at best.... take it, with a C2 cargo ship load of... sea salt.

M. M.
Old 03-27-22, 01:52 PM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

1 possible solution... if you have the space & resources for doing so... would be to set up in your Win 11 tower, a setup of HD's that can be then used to house either Win 10, 7 or even back it down to XP... if there are still valid resources around to take it back, even that far... that are safe to insource from.
Either that, or if your primary HD is big enough... have it house 11 & 1 of those other pre-11 op sys's on it... use the older op sys to run the older games on & thereby utilizing the Win 11, for more... modern stuff... & or games.

That, or just find a tower that already has Win 10 or older op sys already installed & shift your older games over to that...

Hope this helps...

M. M.
Old 03-27-22, 01:54 PM   #9
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Icon9

I understand about the issue with a new and different OS,what I can not get my mind to understand is why the first time runs and then not. Then I found one solution and it works. And in the next day the problem returns. And now,the first solution does not work.
Every time I get the black screen I have to terminate my user session or reboot the pc,because I can't do anything.
If it worked one time,why it does not work again?
Old 03-27-22, 02:07 PM   #10
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

No bloody idea... Suffice it to say, that has even Me... scratching My head & going 'huh???' on it... & I've been working on, using computers, since the crack of dawn for them when they 1st released them... many, many moons back, Mi amigo.

Nowadays, seems everything is geared to pushing something new out the door, before the ink even dries good on the blueprints, schematics... *just shakes My head at the stupidity of that notion*

Used to be, there was pride in workmanship, longevity of things manufactured.

NOT any more...

nowadays, is a Bum rush to shove things out the door, that don't last 5 sec's... & more disposable than 'Huggie's' (insert, whatever brand that you're familiar with of disposable diapers here... ) diapers.

M. M.
Old 03-27-22, 02:45 PM   #11
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Not a bad ideia,I may used my old SSD that have windows 7 64 bit. I have a sad and HDD, 1 tera each on the new PC. I even installed she o. HDD just to have something there,besides backups that I am going to begin to place there.
Other question,if I may. And steam versions of the game? Could that suffer the same problem?
Old 03-27-22, 04:50 PM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

• Whether Steam or Disk, install outside of Program Files folders - check
  • The Steam version installs DirectX and the Codecs for you - check
  • With the Disk version, you have to make those menu choices - ??
  • Once installed, you need the FileManager.dll write-enabled for MultiSH4, and SH4.exe write-enabled for the 4Gig Patch or LAA - mostly like a 'check'
  • If using an old Save folder, it MUST be emptied, else you mix games and mods - check??
  • Your monitor has a "native" resolution, which Windows calls "recommended" in its Display Settings "Display resolution" dialog. You should match those. In the SH4 game itself for Options, Graphic Settings, you should also match that there.
  • Refer to a post I made in Silent Hunter 4 & Windows 10 and remember that no two computers are alike, to the point that some folks don't need to change a thing, others need to burn chicken bones and do incantations... sigh
- none of my computers are set the same, but of course, none of them have the same display, much less the same video card... I even had to use the top checkmark box on that 2nd dialog for "Program DPI" and tell Windows to quit "scaling" the display for me...

Good Luck, skipper!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-22, 05:11 AM   #13
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
  • Whether Steam or Disk, install outside of Program Files folders - check
  • The Steam version installs DirectX and the Codecs for you - check
  • With the Disk version, you have to make those menu choices - ??
  • Once installed, you need the FileManager.dll write-enabled for MultiSH4, and SH4.exe write-enabled for the 4Gig Patch or LAA - mostly like a 'check'
  • If using an old Save folder, it MUST be emptied, else you mix games and mods - check??
  • Your monitor has a "native" resolution, which Windows calls "recommended" in its Display Settings "Display resolution" dialog. You should match those. In the SH4 game itself for Options, Graphic Settings, you should also match that there.
  • Refer to a post I made in Silent Hunter 4 & Windows 10 and remember that no two computers are alike, to the point that some folks don't need to change a thing, others need to burn chicken bones and do incantations... sigh
- none of my computers are set the same, but of course, none of them have the same display, much less the same video card... I even had to use the top checkmark box on that 2nd dialog for "Program DPI" and tell Windows to quit "scaling" the display for me...

Good Luck, skipper!

Yes, check until the 4 point. I am now installing to my hdd drive, it is the only thing there.

I did use the 4gb patch one time, before the changing of the main file, but no good.

Old save games did load fine but I now decided if I manage to get the game running again, no old saves or campaigns.

Yes, my monitor is 1920x1080 60htz. I did put this on the main.cfg file, but no go (after the last black screen, after the game had run fine in the previous day, etc).

I also ask for help form THEBERBSTER, he already did some guidelines for me to do.

I am simple tired of unstalling and re installing the game... I think my PC is also getting annoyed...
Old 03-28-22, 09:43 AM   #14
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Not a bad ideia,I may used my old SSD that have windows 7 64 bit. I have a sad and HDD, 1 tera each on the new PC. I even installed she o. HDD just to have something there,besides backups that I am going to begin to place there.
Other question,if I may. And steam versions of the game? Could that suffer the same problem?
On My computer, I now have, I have 2 HDD's in it & 1 ext. HD ... 1 labeled A:\ the 2nd, labeled C:\ & the ext. labeled D:\ (which is where I house My \Games libraries)

A drive is where I house My mods repository which I unip drop into the game/s they are needed for & some notes that I've had to rebuild back up on since the drive I did all that on crashed & caused the loss of everything I had up til then... That, included & not limited to the following stuff...

mods for SH3, 4 & 5... (dumpster fire that it was in stock... better with TWoS mod set & a few add inz), subsequent compilations, gathered info & such all related to sub warfare, up to & including notes on types, range info, weapons available in real time (not on the drawing board, thank you...) and other misc. info pertaining to the war.... which, suffice it to say... the loss... stung.

C, of course the Op sys (which is & will be unless I win the lottery, Win 10 21H2... the last supported Win 10 version, since the advent of 11, has killed 10) I don't have ol' King Sol's resources flowing like milk & honey, out My aft tube... soooo.... yeah, am stuck with 10.

With 11, am not sure if I want to go to it, seeing as how they're (Microsoft) showing no love for old game appreciators...

Now... on to Steam... I have... & use Steam & have worked out a means to install SH4 unmooded in the \common folder... ran that just once (to finalize set up) & then... left it alone.

That install, is NOW... My go to, 'Gold' standard, virgin copy... to copy the guts from & drop them into newly created folders I do, in the following manner... created a new folder there in \common & named it \SHMegaMods

In that folder I then created 3 folders, 1 for each of the SH games...

So, after all is said & done the folder pathway, looks:

\common
\SHMegaMods
\SH3
\SH4
\SH5

In those folders, named \SH3, \SH4 & finally \SH5... I then do what I need to, to make copies accordingly... in this instance, 4...

I then, make sure that each new copy of 4, has in there: JSGME, MultiSH4. (which I simplified the process by dropping the initial item in that virgin copy, unused... of course... it's just there so as to ensure that when I make a copy I don't have to hunt down where I have them at... the ol' rusty, dusty, beat up HD of Mine, aka brain... ain't getting any younger... )

I then follow the standard protocols for modding the newly minted copy... according to the mod set that I am running with.

To date... I have... 11, modded copies of SH4...

1 Brit career, 2 Uboat ones (KSD II: Ace & OM: DW's v6), 1 Russian, & the rest are FotRS & TMOverhauled v2.5 BH v1 set ups... & they all work. 1 of the 11, is a testing of the update for TMOverhauled v2.5 BH... but... am not at liberty to disclose info... I could tell ya, but... then I'd have to silence ya...

Hope this helps & I haven't left ya & scratching your head... going ,

M. M.
Old 03-28-22, 10:55 AM   #15
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

1 Brit career, 2 Uboat ones (KSD II: Ace & OM: DW's v6), 1 Russian, & the rest are FotRS & TMOverhauled v2.5 BH v1 set ups... & they all work. 1 of the 11, is a testing of the update for TMOverhauled v2.5 BH... but... am not at liberty to disclose info... I could tell ya, but... then I'd have to silence ya...

Hope this helps & I haven't left ya & scratching your head... going ,

M. M.

A drive A: in a modern PC .

Which update for TMOverhauled v2.5 BH? The one that BH ask me for help testing too?

Never used multi on SH4, been always a TMO user and was waiting for the WW1 mod to go there.

Going to do the N clean instalation again

Edit: oki. My new PC is trolling me. I did a clean install and the game loaded fine. Vanilla stock 1.0 Vs. Already in 1920x1080p etc.
I must have forgotten to erase the sh4 folder from my documents. But the game loaded fine. I installed the U-boat add on and also fine.
Now mods. But will do the Laa before.
And I do have pictures to prove it!

And its back. Spoke to soon:
I reboot the computer after installing the frameware software so LAA could run. I did the "patching" and went to see if the game run and black screen.

Before that I just installed jgme and copy mods to the mods folder, didn't not enable them.
It's a windows 11 thing, with my scanner is the same. I have an old epson v4990 photo and after installing the drivers, the scanning software runs. If I reboot or shutdown the PC and next day come back the scanner is not recognised by windows. I have to install the drivers again. I look up and more people reported this problem.

But i found out that if I switch on the scanner before my PC, the problem does not occur.

Last edited by Rhodes; 03-28-22 at 11:31 AM.