SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-10, 08:08 AM   #1
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Former SH3er Looking To Get Back In

I haven't play SH3 in many years. Once SH4 came out I got into that for a bit over the past 2 years but really haven't played SH3 in probably over 3 years. Reading all the news about SHV has gotten my interest back up in revisiting this old gem of a sim.

I was hoping to hear your opinions of what might be the most enjoyable mod to start playing with again. I had played with the RFB and one of the early versions of GWX but have been clueless as to what the latest and greatest of mods might be now. So please post your suggestions. To help you out with that I'll give you an idea of my play style. I'm not a die-hard type that has to do it all by myself. I have done the manual TDC route before but right now I just don't have the time (real life stuff) to relearn it all right now. I also keep the externals on as things just look too good not to watch the explosions and sinkings. Other than that I will keep all the other realism settings on. Thanks for your time and help!
Old 03-15-10, 11:26 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Any of the big 4 (GWX, LSH3, NYGM or WAC) should treat you to a lot of good stuff. There have been several new add-on mods that really change the feel of the game, such as Diving Duck's new Open Hatch mod and the one by Anvart that makes the antennae and flags go up and down, or the Kiel Canal locks mods.

Don't forget SH3 Commander, which gives you a realistic career. It works outside the game, so is compatible with any of the supermods.
Old 03-15-10, 12:57 PM   #3
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Thanks for the reply Sailor Steve! Since I've used GWX in the past and really liked it I guess I will go with that. I'll also look into the SH Commander mod you've mentioned as it sounds good! Do you happen to know if the SH Res fix mod is compatible with these? I run in 1920x1080 and would really like to use that if possible. Thanks.
Old 03-15-10, 01:13 PM   #4
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by 609_Avatar View Post
Thanks for the reply Sailor Steve! Since I've used GWX in the past and really liked it I guess I will go with that. I'll also look into the SH Commander mod you've mentioned as it sounds good! Do you happen to know if the SH Res fix mod is compatible with these? I run in 1920x1080 and would really like to use that if possible. Thanks.
SH3Commander is not a mod. It is a stand alone program. It is used more for in port stuff(managing crew and medals) and options such as gun reloading times, crew fatigue options(), starting out of port, etc. Well worth it. It really adds to the game quite a bit.

I'd bet you will be quite suprised about how far GWX has come since you played last.

Sorry-I can't help you on your resolution question.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 02:08 PM   #5
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
SH3Commander is not a mod. It is a stand alone program. It is used more for in port stuff(managing crew and medals) and options such as gun reloading times, crew fatigue options(), starting out of port, etc. Well worth it. It really adds to the game quite a bit.
Thanks for the correction and reply! Sounds like a handy piece of software to have.

Quote:
I'd bet you will be quite suprised about how far GWX has come since you played last.
I'm betting you're right! Can't wait to get home and load it all up once I've finished downloading it (hopefully the download is still going well when I left this morning...).

Quote:
Sorry-I can't help you on your resolution question.
No worries, hopefully someother kind soul will come along and enlighten me about it. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-10, 02:51 PM   #6
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

@609_Avatar

Using the res fix mod here alongside GWX 3 Gold and it works like a charm. Glad to have you back on board, and good luck.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 04:08 PM   #7
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
Using the res fix mod here alongside GWX 3 Gold and it works like a charm. Glad to have you back on board, and good luck.
Fubar2Niner (love that name!), thanks for the reply and the good news about it being able to be used together with GWX Gold! Hopefully I'll be able to get everything downloaded and installed over the next day or so, uTorrent is going pretty slow the last time I checked... Looking at some of the screenies posted here and there I'm amazed at how far along SH3 has come. I don't think I'll be regretting my decision to give SHV a pass this time around, or at least until the OSP thing is history for it and then I'll buy it just to support the genre if nothing else. Playing with SHIV, and soon III, will be giving me my fix in spades! Thanks again mate.
Old 03-16-10, 07:12 AM   #8
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Looks like it's going to take a bit longer to get this file than I thought. After 24 hours hours I've only managed to get 54% of it. Not many people are seeding the torrent it seems. Right now no one is. If anyone has it (GWX3_FullSingleInstall.exe) and would be will to seed it I'd be most appreciative!
Old 03-16-10, 07:45 AM   #9
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

If jimbuna or one of the other GWX gurus don't show up in this thread soon, drop jimbuna a PM. He might be able to hook you up or point you in the right direction.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 08:28 AM   #10
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Quote:
If jimbuna or one of the other GWX gurus don't show up in this thread soon, drop jimbuna a PM. He might be able to hook you up or point you in the right direction.

Thanks. I saw, before leaving for work, that a couple of people are now seeding/downloading so hopefully when I return tonight I'll be much closer to finishing.
Old 03-16-10, 08:42 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:

As far as I'm aware there are only a couple of seeders of the full exe......I'll open my port when I get home this evening unless you post to say you have completed the download.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 08:47 AM   #12
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

I've opened my torrent port as well and will keep it up for about 8 hours. Hopefully that'll help you out.

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 09:00 AM   #13
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Thanks guys, much appreciated!!
Old 03-16-10, 04:32 PM   #14
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Wreford-Brown, thanks much mate! I've got the file (called the wife and she told me it was done and the program shut down the computer) Jimbun, no need for you help now, thanks again for the offer and I"m psyched to give it a shot tonight! Thanks again guys.
Old 03-16-10, 05:00 PM   #15
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 609_Avatar View Post
Wreford-Brown, thanks much mate! I've got the file (called the wife and she told me it was done and the program shut down the computer) Jimbun, no need for you help now, thanks again for the offer and I"m psyched to give it a shot tonight! Thanks again guys.
No problem, pleased your sorted but as you can see I put it up anyway

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote