Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-20, 09:03 PM   #16
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The ideological balance of the nine-member court is crucial to its rulings on the most important issues in US law.
In 2016, Senate Republicans blocked Democratic President Barack Obama's pick for the US top court. At the time, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell justified the move on grounds that it was an election year.
But on Friday Senator McConnell said he intended to act on any nomination Mr Trump made.
Politics is about power and the wise and judicious use of that power. When Obama nominated Merrick Garland in March 2016 the Senate was controlled by the GOP 54 to 44 seats. There was almost no chance that Garland would be confirmed. Obama would have known that. Right now the President is a Republican and the GOP controls the Senate. Failure to use that power would be a political mistake.

One of Obama's more ironic statements ... "Elections have consequences".

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 07:10 AM   #17
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

US President Donald Trump has said he will next week nominate a woman to replace the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, escalating a political row over her successor.

"I will be putting forth a nominee next week. It will be a woman," Mr Trump said at a campaign rally in Fayetteville, North Carolina on Saturday. "I think it should be a woman because I actually like women much more than men."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54216710

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 08:46 AM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Yeah, one term, long enough of not needing to collect favours, but then automatic end of term after a time frame as you mentioned, eight years, ten, I would be fine with that.

Else it ends like with judges at the European court who serve short terms and miust please the heads of governments to get called in for another term. It has been designed this way so that the EU court has little interest to piss the EU memberstate'S giovenrment too often.
Exactly, one long-ish term and that's it. Because the person who is chosen to serve is not the same person 25 years later.
Old 09-20-20, 09:13 AM   #19
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Basically it's so they do not have to curry favor to get re-elected. I think a single ten year term would be better.

Now we get to witness some hypocrisy topped with a Clintonesque does of hair-splitting by the Republicans as they rush to nominate and confirm one more SCJ.
Ten year term is a colossally bad idea, because the Justices have no "term limit", there is a very robust vetting process, and because of that, of the 112 Justices that have served on the court, only one has ever been fired (he resigned before the end of impeachment proceedings) that was Abe Fortas in 1969.

What I find appalling, is the level of violence being threatened by liberals if Trump nominates a successor.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 11:58 AM   #20
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
..., only one has ever been fired (he resigned before the end of impeachment proceedings) that was Abe Fortas in 1969.
Indeed, Fortas' "Jewish seat" on the Supreme Court remained vacant for a year until it was filled by Jewish "the Notorious RBG!"(Justice Ginzburg)...for a well-rounded demographic representation on the highest court.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 12:32 PM   #21
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Don't forget the democrats want to appoint twenty new supreme court judges ... Not just one
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 12:57 PM   #22
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Indeed, Fortas' "Jewish seat" on the Supreme Court remained vacant for a year until it was filled by Jewish "the Notorious RBG!"(Justice Ginzburg)...for a well-rounded demographic representation on the highest court.
That's not right, Harry Blackmun succeeded Fortas in 70', Justice Ginsburg didn't join the Court until 93'.
Old 09-20-20, 01:22 PM   #23
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
That's not right, Harry Blackmun succeeded Fortas in 70', Justice Ginsburg didn't join the Court until 93'.
Quote:
Fortas's seat on the Supreme Court was vacant for nearly the court's entire 1969–70 term. President Nixon eventually appointed Harry Blackmun as Fortas's replacement after the nominations of Clement Haynsworth and G. Harrold Carswell had failed.
After Fortas's resignation, no one held the "Jewish seat" on the Supreme Court until Ruth Bader Ginsburg was appointed in 1993. Stephen Breyer, who is also Jewish, was confirmed to succeed Blackmun in 1994. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Blackmun
Quote:
Frankfurter was followed by Arthur Goldberg and Abe Fortas, each of whom filled what became known as the "Jewish Seat". After Fortas resigned in 1969, he was replaced by Protestant Harry Blackmun. No Jewish justices were nominated thereafter until Ronald Reagan nominated Douglas H. Ginsburg in 1987, to fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Lewis F. Powell; however, this nomination was withdrawn, and the Court remained without any Jewish justices until 1993, when Ruth Bader Ginsburg (unrelated to Douglas Ginsburg) was appointed to replace Byron White. Ginsburg was followed in relatively quick succession by the appointment of Stephen Breyer, also Jewish, in 1994 to replace Harry Blackmun. In 2010, the confirmation of President Barack Obama's nomination of Elena Kagan to the Court ensured that three Jewish justices would serve simultaneously. Prior to this confirmation, conservativepolitical commentatorPat Buchanan stated that, "If Kagan is confirmed, Jews, who represent less than 2 percent of the U.S. population, will have 33 percent of the Supreme Court seats". At the time of his remarks, 6.4 percent of justices had been Jewish in the history of the court.
Whoops! yer right!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 02:20 PM   #24
u crank

In 2008 when Barack Obama became President, Ruth Bader Ginsburg was 75 years old and had been on the Supreme Court for 15 years. For the next 6 years Democrats controlled the Senate. During that time Ginsburg turned 80 years old. It would seem that the prudent thing for her to do would have been to retire and let President Obama and Harry Reid pick and confirm her successor. In hindsight this now seems like a error in judgement.

It is possible that her replacement could be Amy Coney Barrett, a pro life, Catholic originalist. Not much of a 'notorious' legacy.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 09-20-20, 02:32 PM   #25
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Ten year term is a colossally bad idea, because the Justices have no "term limit", there is a very robust vetting process, and because of that, of the 112 Justices that have served on the court, only one has ever been fired (he resigned before the end of impeachment proceedings) that was Abe Fortas in 1969.

What I find appalling, is the level of violence being threatened by liberals if Trump nominates a successor.

You spend way too much time listening to *ucker Carlson, lol Violence, my butt, just keep pushing more division, works great for the country. Besides, what side of the political system are the White Nationalists and Boogaloo boys on any way, sure as heck isn't the democratic side. What BS!

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 02:54 PM   #26
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
You spend way too much time listening to *ucker Carlson, lol Violence, my butt, just keep pushing more division, works great for the country. Besides, what side of the political system are the White Nationalists and Boogaloo boys on any way, sure as heck isn't the democratic side. What BS!
Explain the following:

"If they even TRY to replace RBG we burn the entire f-----g thing down," author Reza Aslan tweeted

The liberals in this country have gone off the deep end period. I'm not the one in the streets protesting and looting, I'm not on the streets counter protesting either. I've never felt the need to carry a gun except when I was hunting or in bear/mountain lion country, but because of these protests/counter protests, I now carry a gun in public. I should not have to do that.
Old 09-23-20, 07:49 AM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

What its about.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...-pick-n1240655

Power. Just this.
Old 09-23-20, 08:53 AM   #28
u crank

Quote:
From the article.

Quote:
McConnell is exercising raw political power for the purpose of acquiring and maintaining more power. Other explanations are quickly stripped away when matched against facts.
Well what are the facts? How about the fact that President Trump will be President until at least Jan. 20, 2021. McConnell's Senate majority will exist until Jan. 3, 2021. Why this advantage that the American voters decided is considered 'raw political power' is a mystery to me.

Somehow Trump naming a replacement and the Senate confirming it is an affront to the legacy of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Or something like that. But what if Trump waited? And what if he was re-elected in Nov. And what if the GOP held on to their majority in the Senate? What would be the argument then and why would it be different from now?

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 09-23-20, 09:23 AM   #29
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Besides, what side of the political system are the White Nationalists and Boogaloo boys on any way, sure as heck isn't the democratic side. What BS!

I'm gonna have to ask, exactly how many of these types of people are there in the US? It seems like the left types are foaming at the mouth with Nazi-fever. Nazis here, Nazis there, Nazis everywhere! Reminds me of the Committee of Public Safety in the French Revolution.

How many White Nationalists and Boogaloo boys are there? Estimates? I've never met one.

And: if you support President TRUMPS, does that automatically make one suspect? Does that automatically make one a White Nationalists, Boogaloo boy, Patriot Pride, etc?

I get the feeling these days that if you are not a Democrat then you're termed a far-right, racist Nazi.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-20, 09:37 AM   #30
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote