SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-20, 05:17 PM   #1
Jonny-Dog
Sailor man

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default Who do you think you are fooling?

You have taken our money.

If you work in stead of driving your $$$ car being rich playboy.

We have given you our money, you are now millionaires. Start working!!!!!!

Last edited by Jonny-Dog; 11-24-20 at 05:50 PM. Reason: So... From Sweden... What more to expect?
Jonny-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 05:53 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Hey, when did you start working for the NSA, Jonny-Dog?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 05:59 PM   #3
Jonny-Dog
Sailor man

Downloads: 142

Edit:
I have removed my post as I see it was inappropriate.

Jonny-Dog

Last edited by Jonny-Dog; 11-26-20 at 04:24 AM.
Jonny-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 06:37 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Jonny,

I can understand your frustration but I don't think it's appropriate or professional to slur the devs. Not only are you a well-known streamer, you have a good reputation here. Please keep in mind, this is the Subsim forum, and we like to keep a civil tone in our discussions. Criticism is welcome if accompanied with tact.

Getting this simulation to completion was always going to be an uphill battle because it's hard as hell to do with one programmer and one artist. We originally thought the schedule to early access would be a year, it turned out to be nearly three. But, let me stress two things: the work got done -- no one threw up their hands and quit; and it was pretty darn good work.

As for the $$, the devs have not invited me to any of their parties on the French Riviera, maybe cause I'm not cool enough, but probably because they are not goofing off, it's just hard work, building a really good sim on your first project as a developer.

Now we're working toward the full release, it may take another year, or three, we'll see. You should consider this, they have hired an additional 3D modeler (Koji) full time and they are planning to add another programmer in Jan, full time. This should help the pace.

Have a good Thanksgiving, Jonny.
Neal
Old 11-26-20, 06:09 AM   #5
wangtze
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Can somebody explain why the dev's stoped working on the Scapa Flow mission (where they worked on for more than 6 month) to work now on a new water asset?
Old 11-26-20, 12:06 PM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yes, the work on Scapa Flow (and the campaign) depends on the map coordinate system and height map system and enemy AI. To get the game in playable shape, time spent on the AI was limited to making it work well in mid-ocean environments. The game AI doesn't know about land yet.

To make land-based missions, work on the map system was begun but the devs discovered the game would need the newest version of Unity to work or they would have to do the work twice.

Also, to speed up the development process to get the game to early access and therefore financially self-sufficient, we bought an off-the-shelf water asset. This asset was good enough for the game to work properly but it had been deprecated so eventually, to keep the Unity game engine current, we had to make our own water element. As you can imagine, the water element is pretty crucial in a submarine game. Every object has to be accounted for on the z-axis, so changing the water element is a major chunk of work. So, create and tune the water asset had to get done first.

Last year about this time, we went through the same process on the network code. The initial version worked, but Oscar learned ways to make it better, more responsive and less prone to drops (a bad thing in MP games). So, even though it's the least glamorous part of the game, the network code upgrade costs a couple of months time.

So, the roadmap was restructured earlier this year to get the core components of the game sorted.
Old 12-09-20, 03:55 AM   #7
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

It takes time to facet a diamond .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 01:47 PM   #8
stellaferox
Soundman

Downloads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
It takes time to facet a diamond .
At the moment it looks more like the time it takes to create diamond
stellaferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 06:53 AM   #9
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaferox View Post
At the moment it looks more like the time it takes to create diamond
LOL
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 04:23 PM   #10
kozel1
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb531 View Post
I just saw this thread and I was thinking....
At what point is it legitimate to start worrying and asking questions?
Good question! Star Citizen has been in development for 10 years. Do you think that's long? Short? Acceptable?

I also thought you were done with the questioning after opening numerous Steam discussion threads and the ones here.

Your expectations might differ from others.

Devs just put out a new update last week or a week before, with a roadmap.
They have no obligation to report to you nor anybody else in the public about the financial situation. The fact that they put out a fantastic water update makes me thing that they are fine.

I will let them work. And enjoy the game in a meantime. I spend $60 when I go out to a dinner with the spouse. $35 won't break the bank. But again, that's me.
Old 04-16-21, 07:28 AM   #11
Xaron
Ensign

Downloads: 0

Quote:
By their own words, the work has slowed because the virus means they cannot visit museums to study subs and other ships
Did they really say that? I mean having kids at home for home schooling for instance is quite some distracting stuff. So that covid lockdown can have quite some negative impact on plans.

Plus I know that things take a while to develop. Half a year passes by so quickly and looking back it might look like there is no progress. Even though it might look like that from an external point of view, quite a lot of internal stuff might have been cleared.

Quote:
Why are they hiring student programmers out of college if they have the money to hire a real full-time programmer?
Well it's quite tricky to hire a seasoned programmer full time currently. Especially with some time limited contract. And students could be even more enthusiastic. Maybe that's just the point here.
Xaron is offline   Reply With Quote