SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-23, 04:33 AM   #1
D-Jones
Gunner

Downloads: 149
Uploads: 0
Default Where are the VIPs?

Playing FotRS. I've been given the mission to pick up VIPs on Corregidor. I see their little raft, but they turn around and run away. How do I get them on the boat?? MacArthur's giving me hell. So is his wife.

Thanks
D-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 03:54 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post
Playing FotRS. I've been given the mission to pick up VIPs on Corregidor. I see their little raft, but they turn around and run away. How do I get them on the boat?? MacArthur's giving me hell. So is his wife.

Thanks
that's the paradigm. chase them down and pick them up.

it's not Dugout Doug. He exited via PT boat and met up with a transport a/c on mindinao.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 09:23 PM   #3
D-Jones
Gunner

Downloads: 149
Uploads: 0

I have to chase down who I'm trying to save? Let the Japs have them. Let them eat rice.

Yup. MacArthur, his wife and 4 y/o son escaped by PT boat after being ORDERED off repeatedly by Roosevelt. MacArthur compared it to being in a cement mixer for days. The only one who didn't get sick as a dog was his wife Jean, who was an amazing woman. I saw her in a picture with Mick Jagger!

It's one of the true ironies of the war that MacArthur, a man who was almost pathologically brave, got the moniker of "Dugout Doug." Here's a man who, as a 20 something Lieutenant in the Philippines, shot down two armed Filippino bandits who ambushed him, 5 Mexican bandits single handed in Veracruz--The Wild Bunch style--a man who, as a Brigadier general in WW1, led trench raids with nothing but his "scrambled eggs" hat, raccoon coat and a riding crop, was given a watch by his men with the inscription "Bravest of the Brave", was the most decorated American soldier of WW1, was nominated for 2 Congressional Medals of Honor that were turned down by Pershing because he didn't want to show nepotism having served under MacArthur's father, and was known throughout the AEF as "the Fighting Dude." Patton, no slouch himself, wrote home to his wife that MacArthur was the bravest man he ever met.

Churchill always referred to him as "that Magnificent General", Lidell Hart said that he was the greatest general of WW2 (and he was), the Japanese said that they didn't know how to stop him and feared him the most--the most territory captured at the least cost in lives. His axiom was "Hit em where they ain't", as King's Pacific strategy was to throw Marines into the teeth of prepared positions. Halsey idolized him, Kenney almost worshipped him, and Nimitz believed that MacArthur's South Pacific drive should have been the main drive. Roosvelt and King favored a "Naval Revenge for Pearl Harbor" strategy though, no matter what the cost in lives.

The only thing MacArthur feared was loss of honor. When Roosevelt and Marshall lied to him that "relief was on its way" and he told that to his men, that was, in his mind, a loss of honor. He couldn't face them. His fighting retreat to Bataan, that actually destroyed the first invading Japanese army, was a classic though and is still studied at West Point. The only bad thing MacArthur had was 60 years of bad post-war press, because he was a staunch anti-communist and stood up to Roosevelt and Truman. There are MacArthur Parks and MacArthur Blvds across America though. Not so much Truman. He was America's hero in the 40s and 50s. He was Elvis's hero! Incidentally, MacArthur's older brother Arthur, who died young, was one of the founders of the "Silent Service." True!

Just sayin.

Thanks.
D-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 10:00 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post

Thanks
Since you have the mod (assuming FotRSU with the mis file), look in the Game \Support \Extra_Info folder for "SS05 InsertionRescueTraining.pdf", which is the 'documentation' for a Sub School mission, but can be used in your situation, beginning about page 6. The important thing to remember is to be on the full Bridge menu, so that you have the "lifesaver ring" visible on the menu buttons.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote