SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-16, 09:14 AM   #1606
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Chiliean battleship Almirante Latorre (Formerly the HMS Canada)

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 06:29 AM   #1607
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

A very unique photo: the bow of Russian submarine K-84 Yekaterinburg (Delta IV SSBN) stripped bare after the fire in 2011
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 10:36 AM   #1608
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-14-16, 02:59 PM   #1609
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-15-16, 03:55 PM   #1610
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default CURRENTLY AMONG THE LAST DOZEN: SUISUN RESERVE FLEET

SS CAPE BLANCO SS Cape Blanco (AK-5060)
SS Cape Fear (T-AK-5061)

SS Cape Bover (AK-5057)
SS Cape Girardeau (T-AK-2039)
SS Cape Jacob (T-AK-5029)
SS Green Mountain State (T-ACS-9)
USNS Triumph (T-AGOS-4)
SS FB-62 (APL-24)
SS Cape Borda (AK-5058)
SS Cape Breton (AK-5056)
USCGC Iris (WLB 395)
USCGC Planetree (WLB 307) <current inventory SS GREEN MOUNTAIN
USNS TRUIUMPH T-AGOS-4 cold war underwater acoustic surveillance vessel Down considerably from two years ago(<enlarges) (note USS Iowa prior to her museum transfer to San Pedro Harbor: second row from bottom-outside right)

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-16, 04:12 PM   #1611
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-15-16, 04:56 PM   #1612
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

USS Langley, entering Ulithi Lagoon, 12 December 1944.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-16, 10:50 AM   #1613
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-17-16, 12:24 PM   #1614
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default POLITICS BY OTHER MEANS: THE GREAT WHITE FLEET!

USS KANSAS BB21 USS VERMONT BB20 USS MINNESTOTA BB22<U.S. Atlantic Fleet Battleships, steaming out of Hampton Roads, VA. , in December 1907, to begin their cruise around the World. Leading two ships are: Kansas (BB-21) and Vermont (BB-22).
Quote:
Roosevelt didn't want a break with Japan, as the United States was ill-prepared for war. Most of our battle fleet was concentrated in the Atlantic, and there were only a handful of armored cruisers on duty in the Pacific. In the event of war with Japan, this small contingent that made up the Asiatic Battle Fleet would have to abandon the Philippines for West Coast ports until the United States had strength enough to go on the offensive. Thus, to impress upon Japan that the US Navy could shift from the Atlantic to the Pacific, Roosevelt ordered the Great White Fleet to sail around the world. The President also wanted to find out what condition the fleet would be in after such a transit. As he stated before the fleet's departure, "I want all failures, blunders and shortcomings to be made apparent in time of peace and not in time of war." But, more importantly, Roosevelt felt that a successful cruise of this magnitude would provide the American people with an example of US naval prepardness, strength and range.
I guess when dealing with the 'Yellow Peril' in 1907 ?!! it helps to dub fleet the Great White Fleet...move over RIMPAC-
The apogee of 'gunboat diplomacy'! http://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/c/cruise-great-white-fleet-mckinley.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-18-16, 07:26 AM   #1615
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

USS Brooklyn

Old 03-18-16, 09:43 AM   #1616
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

USS CONNECTICUT BB 18 (CONNECTICUT CLASS)in Booklyn navy yard after world GWF cruise

Old 03-19-16, 11:18 AM   #1617
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-19-16, 11:49 AM   #1618
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

USS Iowa at Manus Island, Bismarck Archipelago, December 28th 1944.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 12:05 PM   #1619
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-20-16, 01:31 PM   #1620
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon8 Tactics; misdesign; strategy and dirty work!

^LOOKING good on the outside; Dirty work down below! Triple expansion STEAM ENGINE; sistership USS OREGON BB-3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana-class_battleship Seriously over-gunned and under-designed-The USS Oregon served in the Spanish American War, Philippine-American War, Boxer Rebellion, Siberian Intervention, and both World Wars (as ammo barge-hull IX-22 at Battle of Guam then scrapped-a pity as she had been a nice museum ship since 1925 in Portland, Oregon) Aptly named the "Bulldog of the Navy'. At the Battle of Santiago USS was very actively involved. OREGON was the only vessel in the American Squadron that was able to obtain and exceed her rated speed, as a result of a combination of factors, reflecting her captain's preparedness. The vessel had kept all of her engines engaged rather than disconnecting some as some vessel commanders had ordered to save coal. In addition, her captain had preserved his best coal for use in an engagement. It was the guns of the OREGON, which bracketed the CRISTOBAL COLON, the swiftest vessel on either side, that caused the COLON's commander to decide to beach the vessel, ending the battle. USS Oregon's arrival at the battle was noteworthy: The 14,700 mile cruise, under the command of Capt. Charles Clark, was done with the utmost speed, but still took sixty-seven days. The ship did not even put into port when a coal bunker was discovered to be on fire adjacent to a magazine. (similar to what had destroyed the USS Maine-causing the war to begin with??!!) The race of the USS OREGON around South America and through the stormy Strait of Magellan to join the Atlantic Fleet was closely followed by the American public. The voyage was of the factors that drove home the need for a canal linking the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean. In short: the tactical gunboat diplomacy of rounding the 'Horn' opened the way for the strategic gunboat diplomacy of separating Panama politically(1903) from Columbia in order to build the Canal...

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-20-16 at 01:42 PM.