SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-07, 10:57 AM   #31
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
A q: do you have your app set as 'Make single instance application' on the Project Designer Application page?

If so, that will be why. The first instance works through a local network port with subsequent instances passing parameters to the first instance via this port (before exiting again). In this case McAfee is blocking teh access. BTW McAfee and .NET don't play well together.
It's nice to have a pro around! Yes, I do have it set up as a single instance (only because I didn't think it would be a good idea to be trying to change the same files with 2 different instances). The only thing I'm wondering about in that regard, though, is why it would trigger McAfee on panthercules machine and not trigger ZoneAlarm pro on mine? Of course, the answer to that may fall into the "Twilight Zone" category

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 11:04 AM   #32
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
It's nice to have a pro around! Yes, I do have it set up as a single instance (only because I didn't think it would be a good idea to be trying to change the same files with 2 different instances). The only thing I'm wondering about in that regard, though, is why it would trigger McAfee on panthercules machine and not trigger ZoneAlarm pro on mine? Of course, the answer to that may fall into the "Twilight Zone" category
It's simply down to McAfee and .NET not playing well together "out of the box".

The key connection was the P9 description and panthercules (fortunately) mentioning McAfee. I remember a user having a similar problem over a year ago (seems things haven't changed since then )! Unfortunately, short of disabling the firewall, I can't remember what changes the client can make in their firewall to get the two playing again (I use ZA as well).

McAfee Firewall is just more sensitive I guess. Much like Avasti! virus scanner is more sensitive than pretty much any other too.

Last edited by JScones; 08-18-07 at 11:18 AM.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 11:52 AM   #33
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

@ JScones In thinking about it, it may be that ZA either recognizes the attempt for what it is or that it doesn't trigger an alarm until there is an actual communication attempt from outside the system. Or I may be giving it more credit for "intelligence" than it deserves :rotfl:

I may just see how hard it would be for the app to check to make sure that it is the only instance running and terminate if it is not.

@panthercules I sent ya 2 PMs both with links to slightly different modifications of the app. The first one is with no digital signature and the second is with no single instance specification. Based JScones experience, I would say that the second has a better chance of working.

Old 08-18-07, 12:06 PM   #34
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
@panthercules I sent ya 2 PMs both with links to slightly different modifications of the app. The first one is with no digital signature and the second is with no single instance specification. Based JScones experience, I would say that the second has a better chance of working.
You may want to also get him, for the purpose of testing, to turn off his firewall and see what happens. Just to rule out any other external problems that have yet to surface (for example, running under a limited account).
Old 08-18-07, 12:16 PM   #35
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default I believe MacAfee has in the personal firewall

a setting to scan for programs that use the internet. Have him or anyone with that do a scan then give the programs a general use check mark that alwows internet use and it will not happen again until he installs something else.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 12:21 PM   #36
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by leovampire
a setting to scan for programs that use the internet. Have him or anyone with that do a scan then give the programs a general use check mark that alwows internet use and it will not happen again until he installs something else.
Cool. Sounds like all he needs to do is add the app to his trusted zone and he'll be away again. If so, not too dissimilar to ZA.
Old 08-18-07, 12:38 PM   #37
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Default Thanks

@leovampire and JScones

Thanks for the help, y'all. Whatever the resolution ends up being, I guess I need to add something to the install instructions in the readme (if it ever gets read:p ) to cover the situation.

@The rest of the world

If you had any difficulties installing/using the app and had to use some kind of workaround, please let me know what the difficulty was and the workaround for it so I can try to address the problems in the documentation to help folks in the future.

Old 08-18-07, 01:13 PM   #38
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Thanks for the help guys - I saw the PM from D_T before checking this thread - the second one (with JScones' suggestion) seems to have worked just fine (opened up the program without any error messages or McAfee alerts), so I didn't try the first one.
Old 08-18-07, 01:14 PM   #39
chopped50ford
Weps

Downloads: 22

Any idea on why a sound file would be playing at 2x its speed? I got NBC station sounding like Chipmonks...and I didnt do any changes.

http://ths-i.com/
chopped50ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 02:11 PM   #40
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Default That sounds familiar

chopped50ford, that's one problem I don't think anyone has an answer to yet, unfortunately. I haven't experienced it yet, but many have and noone seems to be able to decipher where the problem is coming from. It's one of those things that there may never be an explanation for.

Old 08-18-07, 07:41 PM   #41
chopped50ford
Weps

Downloads: 22

Thanks for the update, just seemed weird. :hmm: It just started happening...last career it was fine.

http://ths-i.com/
chopped50ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 12:02 AM   #42
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercules
Thanks for the help guys - I saw the PM from D_T before checking this thread - the second one (with JScones' suggestion) seems to have worked just fine (opened up the program without any error messages or McAfee alerts), so I didn't try the first one.
Cool. If you know how, can you try adding the "original" app to your trusted zone in McAfee?

I ask because it would be much better IMHO to do that than have D_T ship a version that allows multiple instances, especially when the problem is seemingly limited to the .NET/McAfee combination, so a subset of overall users.

Sorry if I'm outta line here D_T.
Old 08-19-07, 08:33 AM   #43
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Quote:
It's kinda difficult to get "outta line" with me:rotfl: I've been married to the same woman for 30 years, I'm used to "suggested behavior". No worries, m8, you make a good point.

Seriously, that is the best way to approach it, I believe. .NET is probably much better at checking for only a single instance than I am. If I wrote the code, it would probably look a lot like this:

Code:

Someone clicked on me, it's time to go to work.

Ok, only supposed to be one of me running, let's check

Am I running?

Yes, I am.

Ooops, I'm running already, there's only supposed to be one of me

Sorry, I gotta quit running, Mr. User

See ya

Old 08-19-07, 10:57 AM   #44
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Quote:
Cool. If you know how, can you try adding the "original" app to your trusted zone in McAfee?

I ask because it would be much better IMHO to do that than have D_T ship a version that allows multiple instances, especially when the problem is seemingly limited to the .NET/McAfee combination, so a subset of overall users.

I found the trusted apps list screen in McAfee but there was no obvious way to add a new app to the list. I was able, however, to change "block" to "allow" on the program permissions screen in McAfee, and that seems to have done the trick - the original RSM (from ver.1.0) now fires up with no error messages or warnings.

I tried using this to add some additional radio stations (from the CBS-KNX mod by fred8165), and it seemed to go very well, though I haven't had time to test it out in game yet. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-19-07, 11:24 AM   #45
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I found the trusted apps list screen in McAfee but there was no obvious way to add a new app to the list. I was able, however, to change "block" to "allow" on the program permissions screen in McAfee, and that seems to have done the trick - the original RSM (from ver.1.0) now fires up with no error messages or warnings.
I'm not familiar with McAfee's setup, but was that change just for the one app or was it a general change? I ask this because if it was a general change, then any app that tries to connect to the internet is going to be allowed to by default.

Perhaps a better way to approach it would be to set the general setting back to "ask" and then when it triggers when you try to start the app, tell it that it is ok for this app to connect. Again, I have no experience with McAfee so I don't really know exactly how to describe the process.

I do know that if that was a general setting, you don't want to leave it that way. It would open the door for all kinds of things that you don't want.