SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-19, 01:00 PM   #76
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0
Default Eureka!! Understanding!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There are no settings in the missions nor in the CareerStart, Flotillas or PatrolObjectives. I also cannot find anything in the cfg folder. You would think there is something somewhere, but I haven't found anything. I'm going to do some Fremantle versus Brisbane starts later this evening, and see what happens with time West of the IDL...
OK, I understand what is going on when using the US Navy Almanac vs the SH4 game world. Looking at this (interactive) World Time Zone map.......

http://www.geoastro.de/astro/astroJS...e/worldmap.htm

(Navy Almanac for reference)
https://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/index

......you will notice that both Midway (X) and Pearl Harbor (W) are designated one time zone to the east of their actual, longitudinal, time zones!!
Longitudinally, Midway is actually in the (Y) time zone and Pearl Harbor is actually in the (X) time zone.

So, here we go again..... Midway is longitudinally -12 hours (or 12 hours West of GMT.) Pearl Harbor is longitudinally -11 hours (or 11 hours West of GMT.) This is why the US Navy Almanac works when you use the 11 hours West of GMT variable to verify your sunset time when leaving Pearl.

To determine Sunset time when based at Midway using the US Navy Almanac, you must use the variable 12 hours West of GMT. Even though Midway is listed as being in the 11 hours West of GMT for "official" time keeping purposes. That's why this is so confusing to us SH4 sailors. The SH4 game world is properly simulated longitudinally as far as celestial events are concerned as opposed to the somewhat arbitrary "time zones" assigned by "man".

In fact, when within 7.5 degrees longitude of 180 degrees (East or West of the Prime Meridian), you can use + or - 12 hours and arrive at the same time. For Instance, Fiji is 12 hours East (+12) at 178 degrees east longitude and Midway is 12 hours West (-12) at 177 degrees west. On the Midway side of the line it is today, on the Fiji side of the line, it is tomorrow.

Just remember, when you are based out of Pearl, or Midway, and you travel West of the IDL, your Base time is what time it is at Midway, or Pearl, and the date is yesterday.

I know this has been discussed at length many times before. It has always confused me.

Now I understand the math behind it. The SH4 team made very good decisions concerning "Base time." It is up to us, the player, to understand the mechanics behind it all.

From Wikipedia.....

"Since the 1920s a nautical standard time system has been in operation for ships on the high seas. Nautical time zones are an ideal form of the terrestrial time zone system. Under the system, a time change of one hour is required for each change of longitude by 15°. The 15° gore that is offset from GMT or UT1 (not UTC) by twelve hours is bisected by the nautical date line into two 7.5° gores that differ from GMT by ±12 hours. A nautical date line is implied but not explicitly drawn on time zone maps. It follows the 180th meridian except where it is interrupted by territorial waters adjacent to land, forming gaps: it is a pole-to-pole dashed line."

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 09-23-22 at 09:54 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-19, 01:55 PM   #77
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Funny thing is, in all of the books I've been reading, at the beginning of the war, Pearl Harbor was 30 minutes behind (or ahead - take your almanac pick), of everybody else. Trying to be precise I guess with their sunrise & sunset times...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-19, 03:05 PM   #78
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Default Time, time, time! It's a Hazy Shade of Winter....

Quote:
Funny thing is, in all of the books I've been reading, at the beginning of the war, Pearl Harbor was 30 minutes behind (or ahead - take your almanac pick), of everybody else. Trying to be precise I guess with their sunrise & sunset times...

So, Florida has passed legislation, that would make Florida, the first and only State to go on permanent Daylight Savings Time. Congress has to approve before it can go into effect. We would always be -6 hours West of GMT no matter winter or summer which would mean that although our winter solstice sunset would occur an hour later, 1842 instead of 1742, our winter solstice sunrise would also occur an hour later, 0817 instead of 0717. Everyone will be driving to work and going to school, waiting for the bus, in the dark. Can you imagine the wintertime airline schedule confusion?

I'm against it!

Permanent Standard time (-5) hours is preferable IMHO.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...703-story.html

Old 01-26-19, 03:40 PM   #79
propbeanie

We used to have permanent Eastern Standard Time in most of Indiana, which I liked. We're mostly in the middle of the Eastern and Central zones anyway, so why not? You always knew when sunrise and sunset were, and the day seemed "normal", as far as daylight went. But they had to meddle with Mother Nature, and now we have "Daylight Savings Time" (what is "Saved", I'd like to know). Now an old man can't get to sleep during the summer for the sunlight at 2200 hours... I'm moving to Alaska!...

Old 01-26-19, 07:59 PM   #80
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
...what is "Saved", I'd like to know....
What is saved? Why daylight, of course. (But only a bureaucrat could explain how this is done.)
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-19, 08:30 PM   #81
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I'd like to know where all that daylight I saved went when Spring comes around!

Is someone stealing it and putting it in a daylight savings account somewhere?
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-19, 09:09 PM   #82
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I'd like to know where all that daylight I saved went when Spring comes around!

Is someone stealing it and putting it in a daylight savings account somewhere?
It is being distributed to people who don't have as much daylight as you do.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-19, 09:13 PM   #83
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Quote:
We used to have permanent Eastern Standard Time in most of Indiana, which I liked. We're mostly in the middle of the Eastern and Central zones anyway, so why not? You always knew when sunrise and sunset were, and the day seemed "normal", as far as daylight went. But they had to meddle with Mother Nature, and now we have "Daylight Savings Time" (what is "Saved", I'd like to know). Now an old man can't get to sleep during the summer for the sunlight at 2200 hours... I'm moving to Alaska!...

It's as confusing as Base time

Old 07-26-19, 08:06 AM   #84
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

So what are the practical results of this impressive investigation?
  • Don't load save games from in-game
  • Enable vertical synchronization
  • Limit refresh rate to 30 FPS

Am I missing anything?
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 07:04 AM   #85
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFin View Post
So what are the practical results of this impressive investigation?
  • Don't load save games from in-game
  • Enable vertical synchronization
  • Limit refresh rate to 30 FPS

Am I missing anything?
The save/load game issue was isolated to FOTRSU and has mostly been solved. It was in game patrol start date related. I could not produce the error in TMO and Vanilla. Best practice is to not save game over a previous save game.

V-Sync = ON

Using Nvidia Profile Inpspector, set the Vertical Sync to "1/2 Refresh Rate" to preserve celestial sphere synchronization with gameplay at 1x. This is not a major issue if you mostly play at accelerated game speeds, this issue only affects the game while you are in 1x time, so, to some minor degree it affects everyone who plays it. I discovered it because I was using the game as a "screen saver" and played at 1x for "days" at a time. I also like listening to Fred's Radios.

Last edited by Front Runner; 08-01-19 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-01-19, 09:15 AM   #86
propbeanie

... One way to somewhat control non-nVidia cards is to use sober's antilag utility. I just started experimenting with it yesterday (again). You'll have to noodle with the antilag.cfg file in it, the game's v-sync on or off (as noted by Front Runner above) and the game's resolution re-fresh rate, which isn't always available for a given resolution. For my particular laptop, if I use the 1600x900 @ 40Hz (which is the laptop's "recommended" rate) setting in-game (there is also a 60Hz choice available for that resolution), with v-sync on, and then restrict the framerate in the antilag.cfg file to 30fps, I actually end up with a max figure of 25fps in the game, using the <Ctrl><F8> keystroke combination. I have not completed experimenting to find a relatively "accurate" 30fps rate just yet...

Quoting the ReadMe with "antilag":
Quote:
The antilag.cfg contains two configuration parameters:
RenderAheadLimit: This is the amount of frames that D3D9
is allowed to 'render ahead'. A value of 1 means that the
render queue is flushed immediately when a frame is ready.
This provides minimal latency, but can cause a significant
performance drop. A value of 2 allows one frame to be in
the queue, which provides a good compromise between low
latency and good performance. Setting of 0 will disable
the feature.
FPSlimit: This setting will limit the framerate to the
rate set. In cases where the framerate is fluctuating alot
limiting the framerate to a lower value (ie. 35) can provide
smoother gameplay feel. It can also be used to reduce the
cpu/gpu usage, which is helpful for laptop users.
I am experimenting with my antilag.cfg set to:
RenderAheadLimit=2
FPSlimit=30
... I have not adjusted to 60Hz yet to see what happens with the Frame Per Second figure, nor have I tried with V-Sync off yet. The game was written to run at 30fps - from what we've been able to surmise - and anything above that rate (probably below it also) seems to affect the "world" clocks. ymmv

Old 08-10-19, 06:23 AM   #87
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Default Interesting new issue regarding sync rate

OK. I recently upgraded my graphics adapter from a GTX 780 to a GTX 1660.
With the GTX 780 and FOTRSUv.90, I was able to set the Nvidia Profile Inspector setting to 1/2 refresh rate using the SH4 in game graphics setting to 1920x1080@60HZ, using my new monitor. It worked and I had the 30fps.

However, after upgrading to the GTX 1660 and trying all sorts of settings in Nvidia Profile Inspector, I was unable to get the refresh rate to matter at all.
I did some research and found a post somewhere that mentioned this issue. Their solution was to do a re-boot of the machine before starting their game.
I tried that as well with no change in my situation.

Now, the goal is to get to approximately 30 fps in order to have the Celestial Sphere stay somewhat accurate during 1x play. If you do not spend a lot of time at 1x, then this issue is not applicable. I spend hours, sometimes days at 1x play.

The way I've solved this for the time being is to set my GTX 1660 to my native monitor settings, 1920x1080@144HZ and then setting Nvidia Profile Inspector settings to limit frame rate to ~36 fps, that is 1/4 of the native monitor refresh rate. These settings work for me as I have very good game play and it's close enough to 30 fps so as to not screw up my day/night cycles too much over days of 1x play.

Formerly, with the GTX 780 and the very old Dell Monitor 2407 WFP, I played at 1920x1200@60HZ using 1/2 refresh rate for the 30 fps.
Now, I'm using the GTX 1660 and my new ASUS VG248 (144HZ 1ms) with frame rate limited to ~36 fps.

I hope this helps the very few of us that play at 1x for extended time.

Old 08-10-19, 10:41 AM   #88
propbeanie

I find that interesting and I'm sure anyone attempting celestial navigation will also, since that does affect them also... sadly, the days of the DirectX v9.0c games are coming to an end... everybody wants an FPS instead of fps... sorry, bad pun...

From what you describe with your new card though, it seems that the anti-lag utility and the nVidia inspector both use a "multiplier" instead of actually limiting the frame rate. On this laptop I'm on right now, a 40Hz driver, with anti-lag set to "30fps" actually yields about 24-25fps, whereas with it set to 60Hz, I do get 30fps... - math... sheesh! Not my strong suite.

Old 11-25-19, 03:02 PM   #89
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Default 30 FPS with 144 Hz Monitor

This only affects 1X play.
So, I used my Nvidia Control Panel to reset my monitor's refresh rate to 120 Hz (native 144 Hz). I then set my in game Vertical Sync to ON and in game graphics card to match 120 Hz. I then set my Nvidia Profile Inspector Profile for SH4 Vertical Sync to 1/4 Refresh Rate and I have 30 fps in game.
I am running some tests to see if there is any real differences between the 36.5 fps rate at 144 Hz @ 1/4 refresh rate; the Frame Rate Limiter setting of 30.5 fps (which does not require resetting the Nvidia Control Panel refresh rate at all, I can leave it at 144 Hz,); and my current set up which gives me a monitor refresh rate of 120 Hz divided by 4 which results in the 30 fps.

For information on my setup previous to this post see post #87 above. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...2&postcount=87

AGAIN! This only affects 1X play. So, if you are using Time Compression to make your patrol transits, then my experiments do not affect game play significantly at all. As I have previously explained, I like to play at 1X so that I can listen to Fred's Radio stations and read WW2 newspapers and Magazines as I proceed to my Patrol Area while maintaining decent celestial sphere accuracy over days at a time at 1x play.

I also play the game "normally" from time to time using Time Compression.

Old 12-01-19, 11:44 AM   #90
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Default Frame Rate Limiting vs Vertical Sync Limiting at 1X Play

Well, I've been testing and I have found that Frame Rate Limiting does not give the same results as Vertical Sync Rate limiting as it relates to the In-Game Celestial Sphere synchronization.

My initial results show that when I have my Nvidia Control Panel settings set to my monitors' native resolution of 1920x1080 @ 144 HZ with the Nvidia Profile Inspector set to Frame Rate Limit of 30.5 HZ and In-Game V Sync ON, and CNTRL/F8 shows a In-Game frame rate of ~30, I am getting 1X play differences which are very large compared to setting my Nvidia Control Panel to 1920x1080 @120 HZ and using the Nvidia Profile Inspector Vertical Sync @ 1/4 refresh rate (30 fps in game.)
I am still drilling down on it but it appears to me that Frame Rate Limiting does not help synchronize the Celestial Sphere.

My current setup is as follows-
1. My ASUS monitor is set using Nvidia Control Panel to 1920x1080 @ 120HZ
2. My Nvidia Profile Inspector Vertical Sync Rate is set to 1/4 Refresh Rate
3. My Nvidia Profile Inspector Frame Rate Limiter is OFF
4. My In-Game Graphics settings match 1920x1080@120HZ
5. My In-Game Vertical Sync is ON.
6. In-Game FPS = 30
After 1X for more than 96 hours my Sunset is only a few minutes off of the Almanac prediction. It is tracking more or less perfectly.

My previous set up was as follows-
1. My ASUS monitor was set using Nvidia Control Panel to 1920x1080@144HZ
2. My Nvidia Profile Inpector Vertical Sync was set to "Use the 3D application setting."
3. My Nvidia Profile Inspector Frame Rate Limiter was set to 30.5 fps
4. My In-Game Graphics setting matched 1920x1080@144HZ
5. My In-Game Vertical Sync was ON.
6. In-Game FPS = ~30
After 1X for more than 72 hours my sunset was 40 minutes later than the Almanac prediction. Not good.

*NOTE - In-Game Graphics settings take control so it appears to be unnecessary to pre-set the Graphics using Nvidia Control Panel. Whatever you set In-Game takes precedence over Out-Of-Game settings. In other words, I can just leave my Nvidia Control Panel set to 1920x1080@144HZ and the In-Game settings will override. I can set my In-Game Graphics to any of the highlighted options. In this case I chose 1920x1080@120HZ so that 1/4 Refresh Rate = 30 fps.

I know, what does this matter in standard game play? Well, the reason I bring it up is because I'm not sure that the Anti-Lag Mod for non-Nvidia cards is actually syncing the Celestial Sphere as it limits the Frame Rate to 30 as compared to limiting the V-Sync rate to 30 by other means. In my case, forcing V-Sync to 1/4 refresh rate by using 3rd party Nvidia tools.

I'm well into my 4th day at sea at 1X play and the Celestial Sphere is tracking damn near perfect! Especially the Sunsets. Sunrise, Moonrise and Moonset are within acceptable ranges of Almanac predictions.

Useful information Frame Rate Limiting vs Vertical Sync Limiting.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...ained.2272294/

Since the US Navy Sunset/Sunrise website is off-line until late next spring,(now indefinite due to COVID-19) I've discovered another Sunset/Sunrise Moonset/Moonrise Calendar which fills the need. Here.....

https://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom.asp

NOTE: Sept. 23, 2022 - See FIRST POST for the NEW US Navy Sunrise/Sunset LINK

Last edited by Front Runner; 09-23-22 at 10:03 AM.