SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-08, 06:42 PM   #1
NiKuTa
Ensign

Downloads: 138
Uploads: 0
Default How to fix pitch and roll of U-boot on waves ?

How to fix pitch and roll of U-boot on big waves ? I don't know what is wrong but U-boots on big wave don't "jump". The u-boot go straight like he was a very big ship and wave don't move him.

Sry for my eng
NiKuTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 04:00 AM   #2
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKuTa
How to fix pitch and roll of U-boot on big waves ? I don't know what is wrong but U-boots on big wave don't "jump". The u-boot go straight like he was a very big ship and wave don't move him.

Sry for my eng
Old (2005 ... 2006) solution:
1) At first edit in sim.cfg section:
[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.2 ;[0,1]
Waves attenuation=0.75 ;>=0

as in (for example) SH3:
[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.5 ;[0,1] ; (or 0.6 ... 0.8)
Waves attenuation=0.03 ;>=0
first param - ↑, second - ↓ ...
Waves become more and more "abruptly" ...

2) Edit in NSS_xxx.sim, in unit_Submarine controller fr_ratio parametr from 0.5 to ↓ (for example 0.48 ... 0.46 ... 0.42) ...
The boat "nose" will move with bigger amplitude ...

P.S.
Do not forget, that the American boats were more and more heavy than German boats ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 09-15-08 at 04:18 AM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 10:03 PM   #3
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

I am having no luck finding the following

2) Edit in NSS_xxx.sim, in unit_Submarine controller fr_ratio parametr from 0.5 to ↓ (for example 0.48 ... 0.46 ... 0.42) ...

Where exactly is this usefull parameter located?
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 12:30 AM   #4
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos
I am having no luck finding the following

Where exactly is this usefull parameter located?
For Balao (example):
Folder ..\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Submarine\NSS_Balao, file NSS_Balao.sim ...
Using S3D (Skwasjer's program) you open this file and in a tree of objects you find unit_Submarine --> unit_Ship --> obj_Hydro --> fr_ratio ...
(by default equal 0.5) and you edit it ... then save file ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 03:35 AM   #5
kriller2
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKuTa

Sry for my eng
If you look at this video 1.52 minutes in you see a submarines movement in 5-6 beufort scale waves and as you can see the submarine actualy does move alot to the waves?

Real Environment mod

and Pacific Enviroments 4 mod
kriller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 02:51 AM   #6
firewheel
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

There is a bug with gigant storm wavea and u boats (it have short towers). The boat periodicaly goes underwater while surfaced. How it can be solved?
firewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 05:46 PM   #7
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Well, first, if people will install the pitch and roll mod that comes with PE4 and PE4, that will solve a lot of the issues.

Second, depending on the timing of the wave and which way the boat is going, there are times where it should go under a wave, even including the conning tower.

There is a limit to what can be done. In addition, you have to balance the pitching performance for the environment mod you are using (or not using).

Between kriller's wave work and the original draft mod I did (which affected pitching), I found out you are limited by the game engine as to how big you can make the waves w/o getting the "flying sub" or "flying ship" you see in some mods for SH4 and SH3. This was discovered while he was sending me different 15m wind speed wave heights.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 07:45 AM   #8
Einsman
Engineer

Location: In one place in the Atlantic, say A Coruña, Galiza (Spain)
Downloads: 187

I'm using SH4 U-Boat missions + + Monsum Operation and feel like the navigation of the type VII U-boat is like going on a road. Not the bow sinks into the water. It's unreal.

My question is: if I put the same values as in Silent Hunter III ¿is valid for SH4? I have to change (as it says Anvart) in NSS_xxx.sim, in unit_Submarine controller parameters fr_ratio or is sufficient with edit;
[Mech]
Waves amplitude = 0.2 [0.1]
Waves attenuation = 0.75,> = 0

I like to get the most realistic, although I have never sailed in a U-boat but I live on the coast I know it behaves like a ship.

Thank you

PS. In Silent Hunter III is more realistic (pitch and tilt) Sorry for my english.
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 09:11 AM   #9
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

In addition to the previous advice, you can also raise the GC (gravity center) of the submarine in the same NSS file, but do it cautiously, because too high the sub will capsize.
As a comment to the FR ratio solution, some time ago I changed it to something like 0.4 and the sub dive did look all wrong - too steep. No sub can dive/surface at an angle of 40+ degrees. So here too make changes in small steps, until you get it right.
Speaking for the uboat models used in Ops Monsun, I found that the best approach is to make only the changes in sim.cfg and leave the NSS hydro model alone, as it is the best balanced you can get.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 07:11 PM   #10
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Thank you very much for the help
Old 03-12-09, 02:45 PM   #11
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Just a word of advice, based on what I recently noticed. Fiddling with the waves amplitude and attenuation in sim.cfg will uber the DD visual spotting factor.
In a test mission I set up for testing purpose, using the original

Waves amplitude=0.2 ;[0,1]
Waves attenuation=0.75 ;>=0

a DD spots my uboat at around 4 kms, while using the modified

Waves amplitude=0.75 ;[0,1]
Waves attenuation=0.02 ;>=0

the same DD in the same conditions spots the sub at a whooping 10 kms.
Also check what Ducimus said about the waves properties as defined by sim.cfg in this old thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...l+range+factor

Perhaps a workaround could be to still make the changes, but compensate them by lowering the AI detection parameters

dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 08:08 AM   #12
Einsman
Engineer

Location: In one place in the Atlantic, say A Coruña, Galiza (Spain)
Downloads: 187

Ok. I understand what you are explaining but don't understand why a U-boat in Silent Hunter III has a more real behavior that Silent Hunter IV. Simply in Silent Hunter IV is not navigate a submarine, an aircraft carrier to sail. Let me exaggeration. Does anyone have an explanation?

Thank you.

Sorry for my english
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 01:49 PM   #13
abclkhan
Loader

Downloads: 169

Hey somebody please build a mod to solve this problem, I am too lazy to do it by myself.... I mean, I did try to change the SIM.CFG but had no results on U-boat bahaviour. But american boats became "hypercinetic".
abclkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 09:15 AM   #14
alexoscar
Gunner

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by abclkhan View Post
Hey somebody please build a mod to solve this problem, I am too lazy to do it by myself.... I mean, I did try to change the SIM.CFG but had no results on U-boat bahaviour. But american boats became "hypercinetic".
Yes pls!!

This is very needed. I can't understand why in SH3 all is more reallistic in this area...
alexoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 05:21 PM   #15
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

I'll second that. I'd blur my vision a bit while playing SH3 and be convinced I was looking at a real boat pitching and rolling over the sea. SH4 movements seem a bit rigid or otherwise off somehow, especially in pitch.