Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-08, 09:14 AM   #1
WOD
Gunner

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0
Default Red Storm Rising

Searched a bit for Classic-Remakes in the net and found something (at least for me) interesting.

Someone´s doing a Remake of RSR in the classic old game style

http://www.kennedyapproach.com/home....on=ShowRSRNews

Completion Status is now at 23%

There´s already a video on youtube:

Cheers
WOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 01:13 PM   #2
midnight_mangler
Nub

Downloads: 0

Cool, thanks !!! Excellent, can't wait for it to be 100% complete...
midnight_mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 12:52 PM   #3
bishop
A-ganger

Downloads: 4

That is interesting, he's basically cloning the Amiga version (which is the best one IMO), even has the same sounds in it. I still play it using an Amiga emulator, but would certainly check this out when he has it finished.

It's amazing how well this game has held up. I have just about every modern sub game there is, but RSR is the one I still play and enjoy the most.
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 01:37 PM   #4
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

A remake! Priceless!

Signe me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop
It's amazing how well this game has held up. I have just about every modern sub game there is, but RSR is the one I still play and enjoy the most.
Yup, same here. This is probably because the game as such was complete. It had basically everything you could wish from a modern subsim.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 02:49 AM   #5
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I think it would be cool if sid meyer re-made this game or it became sh5:hmm:
Old 10-10-08, 09:47 AM   #6
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

I spent 2 hours last night in a Red Storm Rising session thanks to DOSBox.

It was not just nostalgia as it was a game i played when i was younger, but because the game is always , today, very interesting to play with its mix of simulation (simplified though in comparison to 688i/SC or DW) and a superb dynamic campaign of the likes you sadly don"t see anymore.

What an incredible game way ahead of its time (Red Storm Rising was released 20 years ago !!) and that has even more gameplay than today softwares.
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 12:38 PM   #7
Eugene
A-ganger

Downloads: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsoie
What an incredible game way ahead of its time (Red Storm Rising was released 20 years ago !!) and that has even more gameplay than today softwares.
Agree wholeheartedly. A fine manual too. This is not only a classic, but still an enjoyable way to spend some sim time and consider strategic and tactical aspects that are covered.
Old 10-12-08, 02:40 PM   #8
SandyCaesar
Chief

Yup. RSR is fun.

Two days ago, in command of USS Seahorse, I was tasked to wipe out a Soviet SAG. Harpooned a Kanin and a Kresta; two Harpoons hurt a Kirov, but was badly damaged by a torpedo. After porpoising up and down through the layer, I decided "screw this" and went active to get a better solution for my Mk48s...

...which revealed a Tango within 10k yards! ALLAAARM!!! SNAPSHOT SNAPSHOT...transients!? Flank speed...lost wires, hope they'll guide...decoys, noisemakers...
(insert 5 minutes of frenetic commands)

Finally tally: USS Seahorse sank one minor combatant, one major combatant, and an SSK, plus two Harps into a Kirov, but was killed either by a Silex or by that Tango. Fun, fun game!

Vanvikan, Feb. 2009: ordinary human, KIA, night 4

HMS Thanatus, May 2009: ??? human, KIA, night 7

Last edited by SandyCaesar; 10-12-08 at 08:57 PM.
SandyCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 08:07 AM   #9
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Finally ended the war with my old Permit.

Beginner level though
Old 10-14-08, 11:13 AM   #10
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Is there any web or review that describes with details how the campaign works? I'd be interested in knowing how that famous dynamic campaign goes, basically what you do, what type of missions you get, how the results influence next missions, etc :hmm:
Old 10-14-08, 04:41 PM   #11
WOD
Gunner

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Is there any web or review that describes with details how the campaign works? I'd be interested in knowing how that famous dynamic campaign goes, basically what you do, what type of missions you get, how the results influence next missions, etc :hmm:
The best thing to find it out, get the amiga version (the best Version of RSR in my opinion), download WinUAE (Amiga-Emulator), and play it.

Influences to next missions are nearly none in the Game I think. For example I´ve got the mission to attack a amphibous Landing Group (target city Narvik) very often in different games...doesen´t matter how the overall standing have been between NATO and WP. The only mission that´s influenced by the overall standing I think, is that one where you have to fire some TALM´s. I´ve played RSR very very often...on C64 and on the Amiga.

Today I turned on one of my Amigas (I own 3 of this "oldtimers") and played the game 4 times. Great nostalgic feeling and still makes a lot of fun. I have to say, I still love that game.
WOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 05:38 AM   #12
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Sounds more like a random mission generator, with limited effects on the next mission :hmm:

I think that someone with a bit of coding skills could probably do something similar easily as external tool for Dangerous Waters or Sub Command. Display a tactical map of how the war goes, generate random mission, play it, player inputs results later and the tactical map gets updated, and a new mission is generated

In fact, the guy who is doing this remake will probably have done everything except the mission templates in DW format
Old 10-15-08, 10:44 AM   #13
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Sounds more like a random mission generator, with limited effects on the next mission :hmm:
No that is not right. In RSR it has impact on the type of mission you do next!

The campaign system is simple as it's genius. It is based around a cold war climax that turns almost into a nuclear war. It starts conventional with the ruskies pushing westwards and you have to push them back eastwards. Depending on where you are on this "ruler" the corresponding type of missions are assigned to you. On each stage of the campaign the ruskies run for certain strategies. At the beginning they invade scandinavia and send marines for a sea landing, if you can manage to intercept and sink them the invasion stalls and you can push them back again. When you fail to often in a row they push the NATO back westwards and the russian subs sneak through the GIUK and attack convois and stuff.

The progress of the land campaign is also shown on the map. There are news on TV, showing you the current state of the conflict. So you have it all in one game. Very good suspense of disbelieve!

The plot was basically that at the time of the outbreak of the conflict you are the only nuke sub at the hot spot ready to intercept the ruskies immediately, so you sort of fight the war on your own and you are the decisive factor of the conflicts outcome.

You could basically slide back and forth forever on this campaign ruler as long as you do not reach one of the 2 ends, iirc.

When the conflict reaches its climax east and west agree on a armistice. I think this happens both when you loose or win the campaign, iirc.

You play it on the north sea map where you have the sosus system and asw planes patroling a certain vector revealing contacts, i think there were also satelites that revealed contacts when they came its way and you move the sub with the cursour like in silent service on the map and when you come across a contact the game switches into the mission mode where the actual engagement happens. RSR come with all sort of stations that you also have in DW. But RSR have yet so much more than DW.

You could operate various subs with various weaponry.

You will only be able to appreciate the campaign system when you try it for your self. No subsimmer should have ever missed RSR. The campaign system is so simple and great, you can play it all over again from time to time and it never gets boring. Although there is a certain system behind the campaign there is still dynamic and never really the same when you play it again.

You can also finish the campaign pretty much in one night.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 09:31 PM   #14
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Indeed, the missions are not completely random, they are assigned according to the current situation of the war.

As a bonus, you can see on the north sea map the progressive advance of the soviet troops when they conquer land or make a successfull sea invasion (meaning you failed to stop them), or the nato advancing when they manage to counter attack (thanks to your successse).

Daemon, just reading your description made me want to launch RSR again

This time i will take a better sub instead of the very old Permit class, and will see if i can survive a higher difficulty level with it.
Old 10-24-08, 03:04 AM   #15
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

So, if you've played most of the modern games, but do like retro-gaming (like playing AOD) is RSR really worth investing the time in? Or is it too dated when compared to a Harpoon or SC/DW?

Thanks.