Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-20, 02:29 AM   #181
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Default WEEKLY UPDATE

Hello again, everyone!

This week I'm showing off the wonderful sky and weather system and the Hawker Siddeley Nimrod, MR.2 variant.

As usual, these are all in-game screenshots of course.

The Nimrod is the UK's Maritime Patrol Aircraft. While P-3 Orions were stationed in CONUS in enormous numbers, Nimrods were the quite capable UK equivalent.

Blue Water taking place shortly after the Falklands war, many MR.2s had just barely been upgraded with a fueling probe, extending their range to anywhere in the Atlantic and beyond, if needed.

With a rather spacious weapons' bay and the ability to carry up to 20,000 pounds (9,100 kg) of armament, it could carry a large helping of Martel ARMs, AGM-65 Mavericks, AGM-84 Harpoons, Mk. 46 or Stingray torpedoes, sonobouys, and even nuclear depth charges and depth bombs.

Also non-standard, but during the Falklands war MR.2s were equipped with AIM-9 Sidewinders.

Placing the engines inside the wings instead of in nacelles under them, the design is distinctly British.

Lowering gear and flaps just to show...

It has a maximum speed of 500 knots, and a typical cruise speed of 426 knots.

Unsurprisingly for a turbofan design, it can fly quite high with a service ceiling of 44,000 feet, or 13,400 meters.

That's all for today. Thanks for joining us. Be sure to comment below with thoughts, feedback, and whatever else you may want to suggest.

Until next time, clear sailing.
AzureSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 04:38 PM   #182
yachieku
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 5

Wow!

Great job so far! As fan of Jane`s, DW, NWAC, GCB, and of course CW, I`m waiting for early access.

Few questions:

1. Would be a single player dynamic campaign? That was something I miss most in DW and NWAC.

2. Any details about damage model? (I mean, fire on board, subsystems failures, floodings, crew loss, etc.)

Thanks!
yachieku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-20, 10:50 PM   #183
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachieku View Post
Wow!

Great job so far! As fan of Jane`s, DW, NWAC, GCB, and of course CW, I`m waiting for early access.

Few questions:

1. Would be a single player dynamic campaign? That was something I miss most in DW and NWAC.

2. Any details about damage model? (I mean, fire on board, subsystems failures, floodings, crew loss, etc.)

Thanks!
Thanks for dropping by and the praise!

1. Currently planning on a strongly story-driven campaign with some highly dynamic elements such as persistent fleets, decisions having consequences down the line and ultimately shaping the fate of the war.

2. Fires and flooding are an absolute must. Might even include resulting cascade failures, such as fires spreading too far and setting off magazines, making them much worse (solid rocket fuels like APCP burn rather hot). Subsystem failures are also a must for ARM-type missiles to have any significant or useful effect, and it'd be rather odd if a hangar that's blown apart and on fire could still launch and land aircraft.

Last edited by AzureSkies; 02-13-20 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-13-20, 10:56 PM   #184
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Default What is a WEEKLY UPDATE, anyways?

Hello again, everyone!

Apologies for all the misses and delays, but there's been some good workings on the business side of things this week. There's some additional features I'd very much like to add before doing the next highlight, so our next one might have to wait a bit. I'll touch base again on the regular Tuesday evening, either way.

Until then, at least have this:

That's all for today. Thanks for joining us. Be sure to comment below with thoughts, feedback, and whatever else you may want to suggest.

Until next time, clear sailing.
Old 02-14-20, 12:45 AM   #185
EXCELLION36
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureSkies View Post
Thanks for dropping by and the praise!

1. Currently planning on a strongly story-driven campaign with some highly dynamic elements such as persistent fleets, decisions having consequences down the line and ultimately shaping the fate of the war.

2. Fires and flooding are an absolute must. Might even include resulting cascade failures, such as fires spreading too far and setting off magazines, making them much worse (solid rocket fuels like APCP burn rather hot). Subsystem failures are also a must for ARM-type missiles to have any significant or useful effect, and it'd be rather odd if a hangar that's blown apart and on fire could still launch and land aircraft.
Hello Azure,

Amazing work so far. This game certainly could become a cornerstone in the naval strategy segment.

I know you said that you are planning for a story driven campaign. But down the line, after the game is released, is there a chance to include a sandbox campaign as an option?

Thank you, you are creating an amazing project .
EXCELLION36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-20, 01:48 AM   #186
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

ECELLION36!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 04:37 AM   #187
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Just dropping a notice that the weekly update will be a day late this week.

Until then, I again feel like I owe at least a little something for the delay, so here's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXCELLION36 View Post
Hello Azure,

Amazing work so far. This game certainly could become a cornerstone in the naval strategy segment.

I know you said that you are planning for a story driven campaign. But down the line, after the game is released, is there a chance to include a sandbox campaign as an option?

Thank you, you are creating an amazing project .
Thanks!

That's most definitely a possibility.

Last edited by AzureSkies; 02-19-20 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-19-20, 12:00 PM   #188
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Sverdlov class!
Nice screenshot
Old 02-19-20, 11:29 PM   #189
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Default VEHICLE HIGHLIGHT

Hello again, everyone!

Those who know the Soviet Navy well recognized this ship - it's pretty distinctive as a very WWII-esque ship for the 80's.

Well, because it was designed right around that time.

Here it is, the Project 68bis, NATO designation: Sverdlov-class.

They were approved in 1947 and commissioned in '52. The three goals of the Soviet Navy at the time were defending the Russian coastline, developing a capability to operate out of naval bases anywhere in the world, and to hold control over the Arctic, Baltic, Mediterranean and Black Seas.

Commerce raiding and maintaining a political presence in the third world were only secondary goals of the ship design. But given its total lack of missiles of any kind, commerce ships became just about the only targets it could manage.

Its guns and armor were formidable enough that it concerned British admirals, and ultimately the response to this ship and similar-sized large Soviet cruisers was the Blackburn Buccaneer, which could use toss bombing to put nuclear weapons on such ships from outside of range of their 37mm AA guns.

Zooming in a bit to get some of the smaller details on the 37mm AA guns...

Although most sources don't seem to mention it, by the early 60s one source claims no Sverdlov ships had any of their torpedo tubes left (having been removed). I found a number of images from the 60s, 70s, and 80s of Sverdlovs missing their torpedo racks, and none with them, so so far I've taken this source as accurate, but adding them back in would be very easy if there's proof to the contrary.

By 1983, aside from the command ship variant which were a small minority, almost half the fleet of Sverdlovs were still 68bis, while the other half were modernized with a large (8 total!) battery of AK230 point defense guns as the Project 68A. The 68A will be modeled for Blue Water soon.

Despite being gun cruisers, the rate of fire of the entire 12-gun battery of 152mm (6") guns could only put out a rate of fire similar to a Spruance-class destroyer, using modern loading mechanisms.

By 1983, the ships were mostly relegated to reserve status. Undoubtably, though, WW3 would have found use for them. Much like the US' Iowas, the guns were still useful for ground support. And while 6" guns are much smaller than 16", they're still much larger than 3" or even 5".

Furthermore, although the value of a WWII-era cruiser may seem even laughable in a modern theater, the large point defense batteries of the 68 A may be extremely useful, and even for the 68bis, its armor was extensive.

With a 100mm belt, 50mm deck armor, 150mm on the conning tower, and 175mm of armor on the turrets, and its large tonnage at 13,600-16,640 tons, it has the potential to shrug off far more punishment than all of its contemporaries except perhaps the Kirov, Iowas, and aircraft carriers.

For a class which still had 9 ships in reserve in 1983 (discounting the Pacific Fleet, which had 4 more), 3 of which were 68As, that's a very impressive level to be punching on.

One thing to remember is in a prolonged engagement or campaign, missiles are very limited. Combined with SAMs of other ships in the fleet, decoys, and point defense guns (which the 68A has in troves), It's not impossible that the Sverdlov could endure to the point where enemy ships are forced into a kind of engagement they were hardly meant for - but that the Sverdlov was built for, and excels at.

Far faster than almost any transport ships (32 knots, able to keep up with modern battle groups at top speed) and with plenty of ammo where missiles are in short supply, the Sverdlov may prove to be surprisingly potent even in the age of missiles and jet aircraft, when the conditions are right, it's deployed alongside ships with competent air and submarine defense, and the commander is clever.

I look forward to seeing how commanders make use of it, given I think it's likely it may endure the missile exchanges. It being just a knot or two slower than warships will make using its guns difficult and require intelligent positioning, or even other clever tactics to impede hostile ships' paths. But it certainly gives NATO commanders a conundrum on where to place their missiles, given the 68 may be able to tank quite a bit of damage, and the 68A may turn out to be a missile grinder, but they're certainly not ships you want to leave floating when all harpoons have been expended, and armored belts may make a joke of RIM-66s and 5" guns.

Add in how most transports can only manage half its speed, and in the right circumstances, it may prove useful as a commerce raider even in the early 80's.

Thanks for joining us, as always, feel free to comment, ask, and discuss below, and until next time, clear sailing.

Last edited by AzureSkies; 02-25-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 01:53 AM   #190
Phaeton
Nub

A very beautiful model indeed! Looking forward to try it in the sea. Keep up the great work, AzureSkies!
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-20, 01:16 PM   #191
longface
Watch

Downloads: 8

Looks great! I remember in Cold Waters it was always fun to encounter one of those, since they had zero anti-submarine capability whatsoever. But deployed as part of a Soviet ASW carrier task force would probably serve as excellent point- and area-defense assets.
longface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 10:08 PM   #192
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Default WEEKLY UPDATE

Hello again, everyone,

Not quite a vehicle highlight or a weekly update, this week's weekly update is about a vehicle update.

The Project 68A is here.

And a small correction: the point defense guns added are not AK-630s, but AK-230s. They each have roughly half the rate of fire of an AK-630, but otherwise have very similar performance characteristics.

The other most visible modifications are the expanded bridge space and the added ESM suite on the rear structure.

Last two have the exact same angle repeated with the 68BIS and 68A:

Work continues. Thanks for joining us, until next time, clear sailing.
Old 02-26-20, 08:04 PM   #193
longface
Watch

Downloads: 8

Can someone tell me more about what the 68-A is? I'm having trouble finding information about it, only about the 68-bis.
longface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-20, 01:54 PM   #194
Martes
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

Just to point out - the forward flags are harbor-only, they would never sail with them.
Martes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-20, 04:25 PM   #195
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Martes!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote