SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-22, 11:42 PM   #1
kopout
Swabbie

Downloads: 112
Uploads: 0
Default Display Issue. SH4 WOTP

Ahoy there shipmates.

I have an issue, which I just cannot solve, because I am not a pc guru.

I have the STEAM version of SH4: WOTP.

Today I downloaded and installed the game on windows 10 (HP Pavillion lap top)

The game refused to play the opening videos, but that wasn't a concern for me - that can happen a lot on older games.

However, upon getting into the main menu, half the graphics were missing. The game defaulted to 1027x768 resolution 40 htz 4:3 aspect ratio. the whole right half of the screen was not displayed, and as a result, I cannot click the "change graphics" button on the low right hand side of the screen to give me a more up to date resolution and restore a full screen graphic.

Anybody else struck this issue, and is there a work around?

I've tried compatibility mode and tried changing resolutions in my display before opening the game (to match the resolution in game) all to no avail.

Thank you so much, to any genius who can get me on patrol!!
kopout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 07:21 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The Steam version of the game will install the DirectX v9.0c components needed by the game to run the 3D, so you should be good to go there. However, the "Properties" page of the SH4.exe needs some tweaking usually. Navigate into the game folder and find the SH4.exe file. Right-click on it and choose "Properties" at the bottom of the resultant context menu. That will bring up the Properties window, open on the "General" tab. Clear the "Read-only" tick box on that first page if necessary, then click on the "Compatibility" tab. Some computers want the first "Compatibility" section set (ie: Windows 7 or XP), some don't need that. Almost all 'modern' computers need the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked. Some computers will need the "Run this program as an administrator" set. Hopefully lastly, click on the "Change high DPI settings" button, which is what opens that upper window below, and tick the "Override high DPI scaling..." box and set it to "Application". OK your way out and try running the game again. Change the settings as necessary on your computer.

The newer laptops have 1920x1080 screens, others have 1600x900 while some of the older laptops have 1366x768. In all cases, be certain that Windows display is set to the resolution that has the " (recommended)" next to it in the listing. That is the "native" resolution of the display screen. In the game then, try to match that resolution exactly. If there isn't an exact resolution available in the game's list, you might have to choose one that is smaller, and "Window" it from on the SH4 display menu.

Of note, by default with the Steam install, the game is installed in the "C:\Program Files (x86)..." folder structure. If such is the case on your computer, you wil have trouble applying mods, if that is your future intention. SH4 and JSGME.exe were written in the Windows XP days, and as such were not written to the Windows UAC (and other such 'technologies') paradigm, which will roll back any changes in that Program Files install folder, rendering any mods useless and make the game unplayable. If you only have Silent Hunter 4, it is easiest to un-install the game, and then re-install it again, but put it in a folder of your own making. When I installed Steam and games on my laptop, I edited the install path to remove the "Program Files (x86) part and put my own "Games" folder there, such that I had "C:\Games \Steam...". That avoids issues with the game being modded. The main components of Steam still end up in a Program Files folder, but the game will be in the folder you made.

If you have more than one Steam game on a laptop, things can get complicated quick. The main requirement with Steam and modding is a Steam Library folder (for the games) that is not in a Program Files folder. To move things, consult the Steam Knowledgebase article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games" for information. This is only necessary if you plan on applying mods to your Steam Silent Hunter 4 game (or any other older, DirectX v9 game)... Let us know how you get along!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 08:35 AM   #3
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

I've used those tweaks but I kept off the "Launch as administrator"
If it is checked, Windows refuses to launch the game.
I get a UAC display that says it prevented launching the executable because it has admin rights.
Gilbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 10:23 AM   #4
propbeanie

Hmmm... that sounds like your computer might have the UAC in lock-down mode... Type "UAC" in the search bar in Wn10, and that should give you a "Change User Account Control" hit that you can click on. That should open this panel:

If yours is set with that "slider" all the way at the top, reduce it down one notch as that picture has it. Try to use the "Run this program as an administrator" again. You can also try it by right-clicking on the SH4.exe file and choosing "Run as administrator" near the top of the context menu... You might not need to set the administrator rights on the game anyway. This, like several other settings for the game are computer dependent.

Old 10-17-22, 02:46 PM   #5
kopout
Swabbie

Screenshot (1).jpg

Screenshot (3).jpg

Screenshot (4).jpg

Firstly, thank you for your very welcome and expert reply to my post on this vexing problem. I have followed your instructions 'to the letter' and unfortunately, I find myself in the same situation. As shown in the screen shots, you hopefully now understand my issue. The images are so large, that I cannot click on the graphics apply button because it doesn't exist because of its positioning on very low far right-hand side of the screen, which is not being displayed.
Old 10-17-22, 02:51 PM   #6
kopout
Swabbie

Screenshot (6).jpg

screenshot of the actual graphics settings as displayed on my screen
Old 10-17-22, 11:44 PM   #7
propbeanie

That looks like you do not have the settings for the Properties page correct for your computer. Run through Post #2's image again, and try other settings. Do you have "Disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked? Did you click and set the high DPI settings? What resolution is your computer screen? Try setting the game's resolution drop-down box there in your 5469 attachment image to what the computer is set to. Try using the <Esc> key to exit the menu, and then exit the game. If that does not work, then you might have to edit the Save data folder. But before we get you into something that complicated, see if you can't edit some of those Properties settings, and get the game to give you a full-sized display, even it isn't full-resolution. You kind of need to be able to access the bottom edge of the screen to "OK" most of the changes...

Old 10-18-22, 03:16 AM   #8
kopout
Swabbie

Default Problem Solved!!!!

Thanks to everyone with your replies. Your idea that I may have to go into a saved game, gave me the idea of looking for the right file to alter. I managed to find a config file for the main menu in Documents/SH4/data/cfg

The main resolution was fixed at a hefty 1920x1080x60x22, but on the graphics page, the game was fixed to a very old 1024x768x60x22.

I opened the cfg file called 'Main' and edited the resolution to match my recommended lap top resolution, which is 1366x768x60. I saved the file with Word-pad, and closed it.

The game opened with my recommended resolution!!!!!!

Currently hunting Shishoku.....

Many many thanks
Old 10-18-22, 08:57 AM   #9
propbeanie

Well, that's what we were going to have you do when editing in the game failed. Glad you found it! Those older laptop resolutions can be a bother, especially 1366x768, which is close to a 16:9 ratio. Since you have the game displaying almost correctly and can now use the full menus, you could attempt to use 1280x720 "Windowed" for the game, but definitely be prepared to do another text edit in the Save folder if it fails. The slight distortion you are getting with the 1366x768 setting will not matter much, but might make the computer work a little harder to create the display. I am of the opinion that if it works, don't fix it. Besides, the game's image would be smaller, and you probably don't want that on a laptop.

Old 10-18-22, 02:44 PM   #10
kopout
Swabbie

Cheers! I’ll have a muck around and see what works best. Also have taken on board your advice re: switching folder locations (moving from Steam folder) as a mod or two sounds interesting at a later date when I get a handle on the game.
Old 11-13-22, 05:10 AM   #11
24Cygnusx1
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3
Default Props to propbeanie...

This resolution issue has plagued me for the last 2 weeks with no end in sight. I played as best I could, until I read this Thread.

I changed the properties just like you said, and BOOM... just like that, I'm in fullscreen heaven.

Thank you so much for your knowledge, Sir!

Now, I must go and deep dive! DEEP!!! lol
24Cygnusx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-22, 12:23 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

24Cygnusx1! on the surface from a 3-year & 2 day 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote