SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-19, 05:12 PM   #1
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default Assisted Plotting Mod, use in 2019

Following internet travels on the subject of SH3 map contacts, I arrived at this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155995. Having read the thread, I decided that I would very much like to try the Assisted Plotting Mod, and downloaded it from the link provided by Sailor Steve: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1328
I installed it, not by just installing via JSGME but also following the manual instructions given in the mod's Readme. In doing so, I also made my own adjustments. You may think my individual adjustments may be the problem, but I've been tinkering with SH3 for long enough to make me 99.9% certain that it's not my interference causing the problem. Indeed, other people have been having the same problem as me, such as the OP in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?
t=146057
I am having the exact same issue as the OP.
Like him/her, I am convinced that, following the instruction in the mod's Readme to modify Silent Hunter 3\data\Cfg\Contacts.cfg thus:

"Just change the following line

Decay Time For Precise Sensor Contacts=60

To

Decay Time For Precise Sensor Contacts=0"

Is what is causing the issue. Because the visual contact report decays with an interval of zero, my message console is being spammed with repeated reports of the same ship. In harbour, with more than one ship, it is even worse. Indeed, when just sailing out of port on my way to a patrol, the game is unplayable, at least as far as being able to use time compression is concerned. And yes, I have tried sending my Watch Officer to quarters; even this makes no difference.
Following this quote from Sailor Steve in the 3rd link above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Okay, here is the Assisted Plotting mod the way I have it in my GWX3 setup:
http://files.filefront.com/14b+Assis.../fileinfo.html

And here is the original version, in case the other one doesn't work for you:
http://files.filefront.com/14b+Assis.../fileinfo.html

[edit] I forgot: they should be JSGME-ready.
I am assuming it is possible to make Assisted Plotting work in GWX3, especially considering reports in the linked threads that it works fine in other supermods, but sadly Sailor Steve's link to his personally configured version no longer works.

TIA for any help o7
wizardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-19, 05:14 AM   #2
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...01&postcount=1
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 12:22 AM   #3
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I'd already discovered that mod during my research. TBH, I've dismissed it, as, having looked through the files it contains, the solution it uses to provide its functionality isn't as succinct as Observer's mod. That's just my opinion though, someone else's mileage may vary.
Over the last couple of days I've bee making tests on my full installation. The results thusfar are inconclusive, so more testing is necessary. I'll update this thread further when I have more info.
If anybody else pitches in, that would be great o7
Old 02-27-19, 02:30 AM   #4
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardmatt View Post
Following internet travels on the subject of SH3 map contacts, I arrived at this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155995. Having read the thread, I decided that I would very much like to try the Assisted Plotting Mod, and downloaded it from the link provided by Sailor Steve: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1328
I installed it, not by just installing via JSGME but also following the manual instructions given in the mod's Readme. In doing so, I also made my own adjustments. You may think my individual adjustments may be the problem, but I've been tinkering with SH3 for long enough to make me 99.9% certain that it's not my interference causing the problem. Indeed, other people have been having the same problem as me, such as the OP in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?
t=146057
I am having the exact same issue as the OP.
Like him/her, I am convinced that, following the instruction in the mod's Readme to modify Silent Hunter 3\data\Cfg\Contacts.cfg thus:

"Just change the following line

Decay Time For Precise Sensor Contacts=60

To

Decay Time For Precise Sensor Contacts=0"

Is what is causing the issue. Because the visual contact report decays with an interval of zero, my message console is being spammed with repeated reports of the same ship. In harbour, with more than one ship, it is even worse. Indeed, when just sailing out of port on my way to a patrol, the game is unplayable, at least as far as being able to use time compression is concerned. And yes, I have tried sending my Watch Officer to quarters; even this makes no difference.
Following this quote from Sailor Steve in the 3rd link above

I am assuming it is possible to make Assisted Plotting work in GWX3, especially considering reports in the linked threads that it works fine in other supermods, but sadly Sailor Steve's link to his personally configured version no longer works.

TIA for any help o7
Search here is the last Mod..
ftp://Maik:Woelfe@maikhaas.synology....YMODS/MIKHAYL/
Old 02-27-19, 05:33 AM   #5
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Hey, thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I'd also come across this mod in my research. It's discussed in one of the links I gave in the OP. I dismissed this one, too, because the functionality it provides is very different from the Assisted Plotting Mod, they have fundamentally different purposes.
Further to my last post, I am now pretty satisfied with my tests. These tests aren't exhaustive, nor particularly scientific, but have provided me with useful comparisons. In a nutshell, for Assisted Plotting to be at all functional in GWX, then h.sie's No Continuous Ship Spotted mod is essential. It can be found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154745 Without it, Assisted Plotting disrupts the use of time compression so much - especially in port, my testing environment - that it effectively makes TC unusable under certain circumstances. With both Assisted Plotting and No Continuous Ship Spotted, time compression does not function as well as plain GWX without Assisted Plotting, but it is at least functional, in addition to providing the benefits of Assisted Plotting.
A final point is that, from what I can see, the Watch Officer in GWX is quite "trigger happy" anyway, at least in port. In fact, going forward, even if I were to dump Assisted Plotting, I'd probably use No Continuous Ship Spotted anyway. YMMV vOv
Thanks for the help so far. I'll keep this thread posted with any new observations. Similarly, if anyone else wishes to weigh in with observations of their own, that would be great o7
Old 02-27-19, 06:18 AM   #6
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardmatt View Post
Hey, thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I'd also come across this mod in my research. It's discussed in one of the links I gave in the OP. I dismissed this one, too, because the functionality it provides is very different from the Assisted Plotting Mod, they have fundamentally different purposes.
Further to my last post, I am now pretty satisfied with my tests. These tests aren't exhaustive, nor particularly scientific, but have provided me with useful comparisons. In a nutshell, for Assisted Plotting to be at all functional in GWX, then h.sie's No Continuous Ship Spotted mod is essential. It can be found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154745 Without it, Assisted Plotting disrupts the use of time compression so much - especially in port, my testing environment - that it effectively makes TC unusable under certain circumstances. With both Assisted Plotting and No Continuous Ship Spotted, time compression does not function as well as plain GWX without Assisted Plotting, but it is at least functional, in addition to providing the benefits of Assisted Plotting.
A final point is that, from what I can see, the Watch Officer in GWX is quite "trigger happy" anyway, at least in port. In fact, going forward, even if I were to dump Assisted Plotting, I'd probably use No Continuous Ship Spotted anyway. YMMV vOv
Thanks for the help so far. I'll keep this thread posted with any new observations. Similarly, if anyone else wishes to weigh in with observations of their own, that would be great o7
Old 06-02-20, 08:08 AM   #7
DURUK
Shore leave

Downloads: 95

Hey there, I know I am a bit late here and maybe not even at the right place, but here it goes.

As far as I understand Observer's Assisted Plotting Mod is included by default in NYGM supermod, which is what I try these days.

However, while the mod seems to work for warships, zooming in maximum I can still see the ship icons for merchants (and weirdly some colored black and some colored red, even if they are all merchants from the same nation).

Seeing that you have tweaked this mod a bit, I thought maybe you could advise how I can get this work as it should.

Thanks,
DURUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 08:31 AM   #8
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURUK View Post
Hey there, I know I am a bit late here and maybe not even at the right place, but here it goes.

As far as I understand Observer's Assisted Plotting Mod is included by default in NYGM supermod, which is what I try these days.

However, while the mod seems to work for warships, zooming in maximum I can still see the ship icons for merchants (and weirdly some colored black and some colored red, even if they are all merchants from the same nation).

Seeing that you have tweaked this mod a bit, I thought maybe you could advise how I can get this work as it should.

Thanks,
Here is little mod for black contacts in NYGM: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...94&postcount=1
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 09:34 AM   #9
U301
Officer

Downloads: 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Here is little mod for black contacts in NYGM: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...94&postcount=1

KUrtz
U301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 09:47 AM   #10
DURUK
Shore leave

Downloads: 95

Hey Fifi, thanks for the suggestion. Did a quick test with it. While it is certainly better than the stock, it still gives real time moving dots on the map, thus an unrealistic level of awareness. I think I may have messed up some of the mod installations, since I could not find anyone having the problem similar to mine.
DURUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 12:40 PM   #11
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURUK View Post
Hey Fifi, thanks for the suggestion. Did a quick test with it. While it is certainly better than the stock, it still gives real time moving dots on the map, thus an unrealistic level of awareness. I think I may have messed up some of the mod installations, since I could not find anyone having the problem similar to mine.
You’re welcome, but it’s normal the black dots are moving
I’m not aware of a mod with static black contacts anyway...
Old 06-02-20, 12:49 PM   #12
U301
Officer

Downloads: 782

Hi,
This looks a great mod but the map is not at full size.
There is a black panel to the right on the map.
I am using NYGM with WAC MaGui for NYGM v2017A - 1366x768.
Many thanks if you can help.
KUrtz
U301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 04:21 AM   #13
Fifi
Navy Seal

Ok, with stock NYGM assisted plotting mod, when zooming close we Still see ships icons.
We would have to delete all ship.tga in all the data/sea folder To get rid of those icons
Or make transparent ship.tga for all ships in data/sea...
Or other solution would be to disallow the zoom going so close!
Don’t know how to do it though...
Old 06-04-20, 06:53 AM   #14
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Ok, with stock NYGM assisted plotting mod, when zooming close we Still see ships icons.
We would have to delete all ship.tga in all the data/sea folder To get rid of those icons
Or make transparent ship.tga for all ships in data/sea...
Or other solution would be to disallow the zoom going so close!
Don’t know how to do it though...
The zoom levels are controlled by the maps.cfg file in data/menu/cfg
Old 06-04-20, 07:33 AM   #15
Fifi
Navy Seal

Yes found it, but best is to add transparent tga