Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-20, 10:42 AM   #1
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3
Default Did you survive till 1945?

Ok, I'm aware stock SH5 only goes till 1943 or so, but with TWOS we are able to play till 1945, and in any case this question goes as well for other games in the series.

I haven't. Not just in SH5 but any U-Boat simulator. I played SH series since SH1 (only skipping SH4 so far), as well as AOTD and even good old Silent Service. I have several completed careers as US captain on SH1 and SS, but I never got to end of war in any U-Boat sim. In my favourite AOTD, my most successful character got to 1942 until he died in air attack. Other careers ended just as tragically sooner or later.

I thought about it recently after browsing youtube for TWOS videos and noticing most are from Baltic and Coastal Waters campaign. U-boat player chances of completing the game seem to be quite in line with historical attrition rate....

So, what was your experience - did you make it till the end of the war?
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 11:14 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

For me lately, I haven't had much time to play SH3 & 5, but in SH5 over the years, I've done maybe 3 "whole" careers, all in several versions of TWoS, and have never made it past March of 1943 after starting at the beginning. Part of my troubles in SH5 is lack of familiarity with its workings. In SH3, various mods, and quite a few careers since way back when, and I have never made it to the end, if I start at the beginning, I'm usually dying in late 42 or early 43, though one career did last until late 1943, but I was not hunting the last six months, only running away - "surviving" some might say - but I still died in the Bay of Biscay... I have been "retired" a couple of times. Most of the careers that I started later did not last beyond maybe six months of game time. All that said, I've seldom been one to have much patience with the set-up and egress of an attack - the plan man - not waiting for the proper time of day and / or sea conditions. When I have done things properly, I've done rather well for those patrols, but put a CV out in front of me, and I get buck fever and go stark raving mad! Then I die...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 09:05 PM   #3
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

I am still in 1940 after 6 years of realtime on and off playing hahahaha. My sub was sunk a few times and I survived bad damage. I save my game regularly and then load the savegame.