Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-06-19, 11:39 AM   #1
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Default UPLAY Download Fix For Silent Hunter 5

Hi Guys
Uplay has recently patched the game which means that the game will only work now if it is stock/vanilla.
Postings on the Forum are mentioning various problems with TDW's Generic File Patcher (GFP) and the game crashing when trying to start a New Campaign all caused by Uplay.
Uplay <> Ubisoft are under no obligation to correct any faults where the game is using applications and mods.

This version is only for Uplay downloads > STEAM downloads are not affected by this.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=452

Peter

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 11-29-19 at 06:52 PM.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 06:29 AM   #2
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Hi Berbster: Could you tell me what is this problem, really?

Because:

1. I have the DVD version of SH5 installed.

2. It uses Uplay to start the game and it actualizes itself regurarly.

3. The game was updated when I made a reinstall some months ago, to v.1.2, via Uplay (Uplay downloaded the 1.2 patch and automatically install it in each reinstallation).

4. Then I installed TWoS 2.2.16 full version. Some days ago applied only the TWoS patch 2.2.16 over full 2.2.16, for the KSD activation.

5. Ever my game starts with KSD, go to Uplay and, from Uplay, syncronizes the savegames from the Ubi cloud and start normally.

6. I don´t have any problem with SH5 TwoS 2.2.16. And Uplay is set to automatical actualization of games.

This problem of the "updated" SH5.exe...Is it only for reinstallers or new users? I suppose Uplay actualizes ALL in my game, regularly, but I don´t have any problem, CTDs, not-start problems, etc.

I read all the post and threads about this issue, but I don´t finish to understand the problem, because I don´t have any problem....

Many thanks and best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 07:02 AM   #3
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Hi Berbster: Could you tell me what is this problem, really?
I will try to explain...

1.02 SH5 executable which is downloaded trough the uplay (situation when you download and install directly v1.02 of the game, without a need for any further updates) is no longer compatible with TDW Generic Patcher due to some strange ubisoft's unannounced patch.

You don't experience any problems because your DVD SH5 is originally installed as v1.0 and then updated to v1.02 trough the regular game updater tool and this executable works fine with TDW Gen.Patcher.

It seems that the problem for uplay download users can be solved by simple sh5.exe replacement or by using SH5 DVD iso image file...

In short:
- SH5 installed from DVD and updated to v1.02 (game updater tool or offline updater) - OK
- Steam SH5 v1.02 - OK due TWoS Steam conversion tool
- uplay download SH5 - not OK , due to incompatible sh5.exe file

EDIT: Also my advice for all SH5 player is to disable automatic game updates and always use uplay in offline mod because you never know when those charlatans from ubi will decide to screw up your game...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 08:25 AM   #4
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I will try to explain...

1.02 SH5 executable which is downloaded trough the uplay (situation when you download and install directly v1.02 of the game, without a need for any further updates) is no longer compatible with TDW Generic Patcher due to some strange ubisoft's unannounced patch.

You don't experience any problems because your DVD SH5 is originally installed as v1.0 and then updated to v1.02 trough the regular game updater tool and this executable works fine with TDW Gen.Patcher.

It seems that the problem for uplay download users can be solved by simple sh5.exe replacement or by using SH5 DVD iso image file...

In short:
- SH5 installed from DVD and updated to v1.02 (game updater tool or offline updater) - OK
- Steam SH5 v1.02 - OK due TWoS Steam conversion tool
- uplay download SH5 - not OK , due to incompatible sh5.exe file

EDIT: Also my advice for all SH5 player is to disable automatic game updates and always use uplay in offline mod because you never know when those charlatans from ubi will decide to screw up your game...
Understand!

And it will a very sinful thing to share the SH5.exe v1.0 or my SH5 1.2 patched SH5.exe I have, I believe....

Many thanks

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 08:37 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post

Going by what I am seeing with my UPlay SH4 on the Windows 10 laptop, I cannot permanently turn off the "Searching for updates..." from Ubisoft / UPlay, which is very similar to what Steam does each time it starts (perhaps disconnecting the internet while starting??). I also am no longer able to copy my original SH5 install and move it to another folder for a TWoS activation. It will always attempt to update the original install. Maybe the TWoS installer follows the Windows Registry (Hive)?? I can turn the "Online" mode off, but then the next time I start the game, UPlay has re-enabled the "Online" mode and searches for updates and attemtps to "sync" the Saves... Sort of like Windows 10, I can control certain aspects, but the program will put them right back the way it wants things set-up. I am expecting a "change" each time I start the games in Windows 10 now, both my UPlay SH4 and my Steam SH5 & SH3, all three of which I have modded, but everything is fine for now. I have no similar issues on any of the Win7 computers, with disk installs of SH4 and Steam installs of SH3 and SH5, all of which are modded...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 05:22 AM   #6
Pultti10
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Default UPLAY owner's nightmare

So, this seems like we UPLAY men shall go to bottom in our U-BOOT with our flags waving.
I updated the game and then observed that TWoS do not work anymore and found the reason from this thread.

I see that my only choice is to uninstall TWoS and play the commercial version only. This is so sad but so is submariner's life.
Pultti10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 07:52 AM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pultti10 View Post
So, this seems like we UPLAY men shall go to bottom in our U-BOOT with our flags waving.
I updated the game and then observed that TWoS do not work anymore and found the reason from this thread.

I see that my only choice is to uninstall TWoS and play the commercial version only. This is so sad but so is submariner's life.
Don't fall into depression yet "uplay Captain". Just get a working sh5 executable and continue to enjoy sh5 with TWoS...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 05:32 PM   #8
stellaferox
Soundman

Downloads: 51
Default Saved Games

Only thing that is nasty is that you cannot use cloud synchronizing anymore. I play the game on my desktop and laptop and cannot port the saved games.
stellaferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 06:27 PM   #9
THEBERBSTER

Hi SF
Quote:
I play the game on my desktop and laptop and cannot port the saved games
You should still be creating saved games as when you installed the game from your desktop your installation would have created a saved games folder in C:\Documents\SH5

Quote:
Only thing that is nasty is that you cannot use cloud synchronizing anymore.
Exactly what I am saying the games you are loading are coming from your own saved games folder.

Peter
Old 11-14-19, 04:00 AM   #10
stellaferox
Soundman

Hi Peter,

That doesn't work. Of course I copied my saved games form the SH5 folder in Documents. I have it on Dropbox to synchronize between laptop and desktop, but still the game starts from scratch after I reinstalled it on the laptop and won't pick up on the progress I made on the desktop.
There have to be more files that are critical for recognizing the advance in the campaign.
Old 11-14-19, 06:10 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER

Hi sf
Quote:
I copied my saved games form the SH5 folder in Documents.
You cannot do that.

You cannot just copy your save game folder to another place of your choice unless you use MultiSH5 first which will allow you to set a new path and 3 digit code.
Peter
Old 11-14-19, 02:19 PM   #12
stellaferox
Soundman

I see. Thx. Have to figure out how to do this...
Old 11-21-19, 05:01 PM   #13
Kill3rCat
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Hello fine chaps of Subsim. Since Ubi decided to ninjapatch SH5 and now it crashes when I load savegames, I was wondering if anyone could send me an unpatched SH5.exe or suggest alternative fixes? I'm using TWOS, of course.

Thanks
Kill3rCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 05:18 PM   #14
THEBERBSTER

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Kill3rCat
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

PM sent.
Old 11-21-19, 08:06 PM   #15
Kill3rCat
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Cheers Berb. I've actually been here for a while, I'm just not that active.
Kill3rCat is offline   Reply With Quote