Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-21, 05:32 PM   #1
ImBatman
Sailor man

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0
Default Free Sweden?

I'm playing with TWoS. It's the end of September, 1939. I've encountered a group of swedish merchant ships. The map is marking them red, rather than green. I looked up that type of ship in the recognition manual and among it's operators is "Free Sweden," whereas some other ships are operated by just regular ol' Sweden. I thought Sweden was neutral throughout the war?
ImBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 05:37 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

if it's red, its dead BBY! Sink 'em all! Required reading to ease your conscience: https://www.konditori100.se/SiWW2/sww2lscs.htm
Quote:
During World War II Swedish ships sailed for Sweden, the Allies, the Germans, the Red Cross and for some others.

Swedish merchant sailors memorialAround 1,400-1,500 Swedish sailors were killed when Swedish ships were hit by bombs, grenades, mines and/or torpedoes. (Plus or minus some hundreds - I've seen various numbers.)

500-600 Swedish sailors were killed on ships from other nations.

Around 270 Swedish ships were sunk.
"German Sub" was the leading cause (as indicated in site above) of death for Swedish shipping in WWII!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-04-21 at 05:51 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 06:13 PM   #3
ImBatman
Sailor man

Downloads: 70

Well, I did catch them north of Denmark heading into the North Sea. No doubt with a hold full of iron ore for Britain! Looks like I'll have to make a quick pit stop in Wilhelmshaven before continuing to the East coast of England, because I'm about be be short on torpedoes.
ImBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 08:52 AM   #4
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBatman View Post
I'm playing with TWoS. It's the end of September, 1939. I've encountered a group of swedish merchant ships. The map is marking them red, rather than green. I looked up that type of ship in the recognition manual and among it's operators is "Free Sweden," whereas some other ships are operated by just regular ol' Sweden. I thought Sweden was neutral throughout the war?
TWoS has a bunch of hidden "Free" nations that do not show up in Museum and carry flags of their regular (neutral) counterparts, but are treated as enemy by the game. This way, if you see a neutral flagged ship that is obviously breaking neutrality rules (for example, by sailing in allied convoy or sailing darkened in British waters) you will not be penalized by the game for attacking it.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote