SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-04-19, 08:30 PM   #1
Lev306
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Uboat vs Wolfpack? (maybe vs SH5 too?)

Haven't subsimmed since SH4 (never got back into SH5 after the disappointing initial launch). Saw that this was on sale on steam but also there was another game called Wolfpack now. Just wondering what the denizen's of subsim thought about each game? Or should I go back and give SH5 another chance?

Whats the general consensus about these games? I'm just looking for a solid sub sim experience that has a good amount of submarine tactics involved. Thanks guys!
Lev306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 09:17 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Completely different games, you can’t compare them. Wolfpack is a multiplayer U-boat game, and u boat is a Sims meets silent Hunter five game.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 10:37 PM   #3
Lev306
Swabbie

Downloads: 14

Yeah totally get that, just wondering though in terms of gameplay experience if you had to pick one which would you prefer?
Lev306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 10:56 PM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

SH5

DISCORD
Old 05-05-19, 11:27 AM   #5
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33

UBOAT. I've been playing SH3 (not a lot, too old for me), SH4 (quite a bit with OpMonsoon Mod) and SH5 (Wolves of Steel mod). I prefer UBOAT over them all as it gives you the full WW2 "Das Boot" experience. The Silent Hunter games are all about stalking the enemy and sinking him, evading the retaliation, rince and repeat. This is fun and all, but I was always missing something, and that was crew interaction and immersion. With UBOAT you get a real feeling for what it's like to serve on a submarine, much more than with any Silent Hunter game. So yeah...it's quite buggy at the moment, not nearly finished, but for me already so much more my thing than Silent Hunter. I am not saying "better", but more my kind of game and more "uboatish" in my eyes.
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 11:30 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Both Uboat and Wolfpack are in early access by small dev teams, so it helps if players are supportive and patient. Both games have a lot to offer a good subsimmer.

Wolfpack is currently a co-op game where you & your crew manually do all the major operations in the boat: diving, observation, navigating, TDC set up and radio/sonar. No time compression, no warping. No AI crew to do your TDC for you.

We are working on a solo player option where you can assign the AI crew to change depth/speed/course so a single player can manage the boat alone. That will use a dash UI for the player to make these changes without requiring them to run all over the control room.
Old 05-05-19, 03:19 PM   #7
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Great seeing new games coming. Options are a good thing, and Ubisoft could use some competition.
Old 05-05-19, 05:52 PM   #8
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Well honestly right now I find none of them are perfect for me :P
But I have more high hopes for Uboats and Wolf Packs future, as they are still being actively developed.

Uboat presently still has quite a few issues it still needs to work through, and more content to be added. but I have the most hope pegged on this one. and its most in line with what I'm after.

Wolf pack has no single player, so it doesn't really appeal to me personally as it stands, just watching people stream it is enough entertainment for me right now, but I'm keeping an eye on its future development.

SH5 on the other hand is coming up to 10 years old, and despite modders best efforts and in some cases vastly improving it beyond what was thought possible, its.. well, its not a 'dead horse' entirely but its still kind of 'stuck' with so many of its original limitations in some ways. it was so unfinished, abandoned and locked down - it just wasn't a great platform to move forward with I guess, where it is now is probably about as good as it gets.

By the time Uboat and Wolf pack are completed, I think they with both be in a much stronger position than SH5 was in 2010 when it received its 2nd and final patch. SH3 and 4 were really the franchises golden days.

Last edited by JU_88; 05-05-19 at 06:01 PM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 06:36 PM   #9
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

No comparison.

comparing Uboat to Wolfpack is like comparing Company of Heroes to Post Scriptum

yes, those both deal with the same era of warfare, but the play-style is barely the same species between the two.

In wolfpack you will be crewing a u-boat FPS style with your online friends

in U-boat you will be all single player while managing a crew of 20-25 sailors and officers in a sims style interface with first person options.

both games i am sure shine on their own merits.

but again, its like comparing chess to checkers if you will
Old 05-05-19, 10:15 PM   #10
bstanko6
Admiral

What I love about Uboat is focus on crew instead of tonnage. I like sinking ships, but im not pressured to finding solutions, or calculations (what SH is for!). I can relax playing this game.

Wolfpack gives a sense of duty to a team, and you feel great "doing your part" and helping everyone else sink ships.

SH5 is my immersion game. My boat, my tonnage, my calculations, my home.

DISCORD
Old 05-07-19, 06:19 AM   #11
Justaguyinnc
Seaman

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
just watching people stream it is enough entertainment for me right now

This^^^^... Both games are actually fun to watch streaming and seeing what each game offers.. jump on Twitch and see how they actually work with regular players.. I have about 15hrs in UBOAT and about 35 hrs in Wolfpack (although all solo) and I still think I have more hours watching people play than me actually playing them.. there are some serious streamers and some just having a great time kidding around.. which shows a lot of work needed. especially in UBOAT (more options more bugs)... but, both have been worth every penny to "me"..

Note: Just for the heck of it.. I just put TWoS mod on SH5 and ran through it.. I still like the Silent Series games but honestly don't play them much any more for no other reason than moving on.. But even with the Mod.. SH5 cannot compare to UBOAT in looks.. it just seems "chalky" for the lack of words to "me".. UBOAT will be the future in single player especially when they release the tools for modding it..

Last edited by Justaguyinnc; 05-09-19 at 01:37 PM.
Justaguyinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 07:45 AM   #12
Dogzero1
Mate

Downloads: 38

Just bought Uboat after many years of SH3 (GWX) and SH4 and SH5. I quite like Uboat, it is a different experience.

Dogzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 05:06 AM   #13
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzero1 View Post
Just bought Uboat after many years of SH3 (GWX) and SH4 and SH5. I quite like Uboat, it is a different experience.
Me too. Both Uboat and the SH series have their good points....definitely very different and very enjoyable in their own ways. To the thread author I highly recommend Lite_ly Salted's tutorials. You will NOT play well in Uboat just because you mastered SH4 (I learned the hard way; I was in a nasty mood for days because I couldn't hit anything at first)
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 10:37 AM   #14
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzero1 View Post
I purchased as well. Needed to up my RAM to make it playable. It is quite good and imaginative. I truly like it.