SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-05, 11:36 PM   #1
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Problems with SH3 Commander? Check here first!

In an attempt to create a pseudo FAQ, I thought I'd start this topic for players to post any questions or problems that they may have with SH3 Commander (SH3Cmdr). Between myself, Beery and other experienced SH3 Commander users, most questions or problems can be quickly and easily resolved.

If you have a question or problem with SH3 Commander, check here first to see if an answer already exists. If one doesn't, please post your question here.

I tend not to read every topic posted to the forums, so by posting to this topic you will ensure that your problem is read by me, let alone Beery or other experienced users. And you may save yourself some time by finding that your question may already have been answered!
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-05, 11:58 PM   #2
JScones
Navy Seal

OK, let me start...

Q: What is SH3 Commander?
A: Full readme can be found here.

Q: What is the latest release/version of SH3 Commander and where can I download it?
A: The latest release is 2.3. Whilst many sites host SH3 Commander, you can be assured of always getting the latest release by clicking on one of the links in the signature block below.

Q: I use Windows 98 or Windows ME, will SH3 Commander work for me?
A: No, SH3 Commander will only work on Windows XP or Windows 2000, the same operating systems as required by SH3. SH3 Commander uses core system functions which are not available on Windows 98 or Windows ME.

Q: What's the difference between SH3Cmdr2x.exe and SH3Cmdr2xLite.exe?
A: SH3Cmdr2x.exe includes all main files and mods. SH3Cmdr2xLite.exe includes all main files but excludes the Merchant Variety Pack (new ship skins). If you are currently running SH3 Commander release 2.2 or greater, you will already have the Merchant Variety Pack installed and thus can save download time by taking the Lite version. Alternatively, you can use the Lite version if you do not wish to install the Merchant Variety Pack. It's your choice.

Q: Do I have to install via JSGME?
A: No, SH3 Commander is a stand alone third party application. You install it as you would any other application, to a location of your choice.

Q: Do I have to have RUb, IUB or any particular mod installed?
A: No, SH3 Commander is not dependant on any existing mods.

Q: Where are my career history details stored? Will they be overwritten if I install a new version?
A: All career history details and game settings are stored in SH3Cmdr.ini. This file is never overwritten by upgrades.

Q: When I open SH3 Commander I get a screen full of "Error!" labels and/or error messages saying that SH3 Commander cannot write to, or access, certain game files. What's wrong?
A: This usually occurs if:
- you attempt to run SH3 Commander on an unsupported operating system (see above);
- you are not logged in under your Computer administrator account - ensure you have logged in as the Computer administrator (check under Control Panel|User Accounts);
- you have a firewall, antivirus or other system monitoring software that intercepts attempts to modify files - turn off all such applications and test again. If all is fine, switch each one back on individually, noting the application which is causing the conflict. You may be able to adjust settings to allow compatibility.
- in an attempt to create a shortcut to SH3 Commander on your desktop, you actually moved the SH3Cmdr.exe file - in this case you will receive at some point a "file not found" error message which will include your desktop folder location.
- the certain game files are read-only - ensure that no SH3 file has the read-only attribute set.

Q: I've modified some of my game files like Basic.cfg and en_menu.txt. Will SH3 Commander overwrite them with its own versions? Does it back up files first before modifying them?
A: SH3 Commander only modifies specific sections of files based on the SH3 Options that you select (only exception is the realistic U-boat availability dates which are not selectable. See further below for ways to adjust or remove these changes). If, for example, you choose a fatigue model, only the relevant fatigue values are written to Basic.cfg. All other values remain unchanged. Every file that SH3 Commander modifies is backed up first and can be restored by pressing the "Rollback SH3" button.

Q: When I press "Launch SH3!" SH3 Commander seems to hang or take a while to integrate the changes I want before loading SH3. Why is it so slow?
A: Slowness usually occurs if you have a firewall, antivirus or other system monitoring software that intercepts attempts to modify files - turn off all such applications and test again. If all is fine, switch each one back on individually, noting the application which is causing the conflict. You may be able to adjust settings to allow compatibility.

Q: I've just installed a new mod and since running SH3 Commander again my game is crashing/not working/acting strange. What's wrong?
A: In order to avoid any potential file integrity problems, ALWAYS perform a rollback in SH3 Commander BEFORE enabling or disabling any mods either via JSGME or manually - this includes uninstalling and installing Silent Hunter III. If you do not rollback before installing new mods, SH3 Commander may simply overwrite the updated files with the backup files it created the last time that you used SH3 Commander, thus potentially causing game instability.

Q: Since using SH3 Commander I can no longer hear speech or most sound effects. What sound files does SH3 Commander overwrite?
A: SH3 Commander does not overwrite any game sound files. This problem will occur if you set the "Character animations", "Sound effects" and/or "Particle rendering" Time Compression events to 1. Reset each event back to the default value and try again (a Rollback is not sufficient to reset these settings). If your problem persists, scrutinise any new mods that you have installed since you last had full sound.

Q: Can I run SH3 Commander with mid-patrol careers?
A: Yes, with SH3 Commander you no longer need to load SH3 directly. You can load SH3 via SH3 Commander on all new, existing, in base, or mid-patrol careers. SH3 Commander recognises the status of each career and disables or enables your realistic settings based on "where you are" at that point in time. You will not be retired nor will you lose crewmen if you start a mid-patrol career (assuming those two realistic options are set).

Q: Will changes I make via the Crew Manager be recognised within Silent Hunter III?
A:
- awarding *any* qualifications to officers impacts compartment efficiency as if they were awarded via Silent Hunter III;
- awarding the *first* qualification to a Chief Warrant Officer impacts compartment efficiency as if awarded via Silent Hunter III;
- awarding subsequent qualifications to a Chief Warrant Officer, whilst being recognised in Silent Hunter III, has no effect in Silent Hunter III;
- awarding a qualification to a Petty Officer impacts compartment efficiency as if awarded via Silent Hunter III;
- awarding a qualification to a seamen, whilst being recognised in Silent Hunter III, has no effect in Silent Hunter III;
- awarding any medal or badge has the same effect as if awarded via Silent Hunter III;
- promoting/demoting has the same effect as if awarded via Silent Hunter III (although there is no demotion via Silent Hunter III);

So, only qualifications awarded to seamen or extra qualifications awarded to Chief Warrant Officers are, despite being recognised in the game, not effective in the game.

Now, whilst these qualifications are not effective in Silent Hunter III, they are still handy "markers". Also, I know of some people who believe that despite not being recognised towards compartment efficiency, Silent Hunter III tends to align these qualified seamen to their respective compartments, but I haven't tested that myself.

Q: What is a 'Weddigen'?
A: Prior to 1 January 1940, the 1st Flotilla was known as U-Flotilla 'Weddigen', the 2nd Flotilla as U-Flotilla 'Saltzwedel' and the 7th Flotilla as U-Flotilla 'Wegener'. SH3 Commander includes a mod which ensures that these correct names are used prior to 1 January 1940.

Q: How do I get real ship names in my Patrol Logs?
A: Firstly select the "Use real ship names in patrol logs" option under SH3 Options|Career Options.

Then, when you next generate a Personnel File for a selected career, the stock SH3 ship names will be updated with real random ship names. After every patrol, generate a Personnel File again to update your latest patrol results and you'll always be up-to-date with real ship names. These ship names will display in both the SH3 Commander Personnel Files and SH3 itself.

Unfortunately, SH3 isn't flexible enough to record different ship names during a patrol, so the standard names will always be recorded.

Q: Where are my Personnel Files saved?
A: All Personnel Files are saved under your ..\SH3 Commander\Personnel Files\ folder, ready for easy moving or uploading to the internet. Re-generate whenever you want to update one for your selected career.

Q: I keep getting allocated the same patrol grid - what's up with SH3 Commander?
A: SH3 Commander does not interfere with the assigning of patrol grids, apart from giving players the ability to change an SH3 assigned grid. This problem seems exclusive to players that are running the milk cow mod, either as part of IUB, HT1.x or by itself.

Q: This realistic U-boat availability stuff sounds good, but I want my new U-boat now! What can I do?
A: U-boat availability in the stock SH3 applies equally to all Flotillas even though some Flotillas often received a U-boat type months after the type was available to other Flotillas. In addition, the stock SH3 really got it wrong with the 1st Flotilla!

SH3 Commander corrects these anomolies by providing availability dates that reflect the real dates experienced by each individual Flotilla, plus providing more accurate training times when updating across types. It means that you will generally have to wait longer for new boats, particularly if you are in the 1st Flotilla. It also means that the VIIC/42 no longer becomes available at all, as none were ever built!

So, want to revert back to the stock SH3 U-boat availability dates? Simply edit or delete 'U-boat availability.cfg', located in your SH3 Commander\Cfg folder. Follow the instructions outlined in the header of the file if you want to tailor the dates to your liking. You may find values in the file that appear strange (like the 1st Flotilla receiving VIIC's before VIIB's), but that's how it was in real life!

Q: I've just finished the first patrol in a new career. However, despite sinking ships, none show up in my game summary or Personnel File. Where's the tonnage for my sunken ships gone?
A: This is the biggest bug with the regular (unmodded) game. If you upgrade your U-boat equipment before going on your first patrol it will not record any tonnage for that patrol. To avoid this problem, do not upgrade equipment until *after* completing your first patrol.
Old 11-19-05, 08:12 AM   #3
Maverick_[GER]
Seaman

Thanks for the great tool. I use SH3Cmdr since version 2.2 and I love it.

With Commander release 2.3 I have a problem to start SH3.

If I press the "Lauch SH3!" button I get the error message "File access denied."!

What do I make wrong? :hmm:
Maverick_[GER] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 08:57 AM   #4
JScones
Navy Seal

This will occur if a file SH3Cmdr is attempting to write to is marked as read-only. Rollback then check your "scene.dat" file (in the \data folder), the most likely culprit if everything worked fine under release 2.2.
Old 11-19-05, 12:12 PM   #5
Maverick_[GER]
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
This will occur if a file SH3Cmdr is attempting to write to is marked as read-only.
You were right. There "scene.dat" was read-only.
I have no idea why it was write protected. :hmm:
No matter, now everything is fine. Thanks for your help.
Maverick_[GER] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 07:14 PM   #6
JScones
Navy Seal

Great. I've updated the FAQ with this problem and solution.
Old 11-24-05, 10:59 AM   #7
Jagdtiger
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Hi,

please help me:

I've reinstalled my Win XP and then I've installed SH3 EMEA version with 1.4b patch. All sounds were ok. Next, I've installed RUB 1.45, sound still ok. Then I've installed SH3 Commander 2.3 (selfextracted version and 7zip version) and started game (by SH3 Cmdr). Arrrgh! I've lost many sounds (almost all sounds of my my crew and AA guns for example). In my opinion, SH3 simply doesn't play sound files. There was no problem with SH3 Cmdr 2.2

Thanks for help
Jagdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 11:21 AM   #8
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdtiger
Hi,

please help me:

I've reinstalled my Win XP and then I've installed SH3 EMEA version with 1.4b patch. All sounds were ok. Next, I've installed RUB 1.45, sound still ok. Then I've installed SH3 Commander 2.3 (selfextracted version and 7zip version) and started game (by SH3 Cmdr). Arrrgh! I've lost many sounds (almost all sounds of my my crew and AA guns for example). In my opinion, SH3 simply doesn't play sound files. There was no problem with SH3 Cmdr 2.2

Thanks for help
It has to be something else you did. SH3 Commander simply doesn't overwrite any sound files other than those found in the gramophone folder. RUb 1.45 does impact some of the sounds you're talking about (gunfire sounds etc.), so you might want to double check that RUb didn't overwrite those files.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 01:44 AM   #9
JScones
Navy Seal

Have you tinkered with the Time Compression settings via SH3Cmdr at all? If so, check out HEMISENT's posts here.

Hmmm...I'll add this q&a to the FAQ anyway...
Old 11-25-05, 03:02 PM   #10
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

JScones,
Beery,

I notice that when I reload a saved game in mid patrol I have a small error on the "News mod" in the load screen (this is ok when I load a new patrol in base). The small error is in the line when you should read the "monthly Uboat loses and tonnage". In the final of this line i see the name of my saved game and not the entire correct phrase!!???

Any advice here?

Rubini.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 04:21 PM   #11
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

I have been having crashes loading mid patrol saves every time and it's starting to annoy me. I have been racking my brain, one thing I think I have been doing differently is before I loaded SH3 from the game loading a mid patrol save while now I always load with SH3 Commander, and play single missions with it between loading the mid patorl saves. Probably wrong though.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 09:09 PM   #12
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
JScones,
Beery,

I notice that when I reload a saved game in mid patrol I have a small error on the "News mod" in the load screen (this is ok when I load a new patrol in base). The small error is in the line when you should read the "monthly Uboat loses and tonnage". In the final of this line i see the name of my saved game and not the entire correct phrase!!???

Any advice here?

Rubini.
It's an occasional bug. It does no harm. I think it has to do with that part of the file being expanded to include a news report. The best thing to do is try to ignore it.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 01:31 PM   #13
Wijbrandus
Loader

Downloads: 101

Apologies for asking a basic question, but I'm doing something wrong and I don't know what.

I've got SH3 with the latest patch, and I installed SHCommander 2.3. (Very nice, by the way.)

What I don't understand is how to install a mod. I tried to add in a few with JSGME, and that program says they went in, but they don't kick in when I start the game.

I did do a roll-back first, but I think I'm missing a step, or doing too much. Do I need to keep SHCommander open while I enable a mod? I get a message that no changes have been saved when I close it before enabling. When I leave SHCommander running, do a roll-back, and then activate the mod, still nothing in the game.

I guess I need a step by step. Where am I going wrong?
Wijbrandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 10:46 PM   #14
Herr Karl
Medic

Hmmm...not sure but did you create a Mod Folder in SHIII? That needs to be done first before using the mod enabler.
Old 11-29-05, 01:27 AM   #15
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wijbrandus
I did do a roll-back first, but I think I'm missing a step, or doing too much. Do I need to keep SHCommander open while I enable a mod? I get a message that no changes have been saved when I close it before enabling. When I leave SHCommander running, do a roll-back, and then activate the mod, still nothing in the game.
1. Open SH3 Commander and press "Rollback SH3" if enabled;
2. Exit SH3 Commander. Click "Yes" to the "Game files will not be updated..." message;
3. Install mod by following the great step-by-step guide here.

That's it.