SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-20, 09:52 PM   #1
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1
Default Playing Wolfpack Solo

I haven't dipped my toe into the Wolfpack but I am thinking seriously of giving it a try. From what I've read, the sim is very realistic and therefore complex.

Is it possible to play solo?

Thanks.......
Old 07-23-20, 10:21 PM   #2
gurudennis
Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Yes, it's definitely possible to play solo, with or without bots. I recommend getting comfortable enough with the game to do the latter, as bots are (somewhat inevitably, being an AI) less efficient at doing almost everything other than radio and dead reckoning.

You'll find that the number of distinct systems on the boat is not so overwhelming as to prevent you from operating everything more or less simultaneously. There will be moments when several inputs compete for your attention, but these are short and can be mitigated with appropriate planning and discipline.
gurudennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 11:27 AM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
...From what I've read, the sim is very realistic and therefore complex.

Is it possible to play solo?

Thanks.......
It is more realistic in the sense that you have more hands on controls than in other games. You have to open valves, turn wheels, turn knobs, look at gauges and engage levers to operate the equipment. You change the water level in the tanks, pressure vessels to change your depth or operate electronic equipment to communicate and find the enemy or friends. It takes more than pressing a button to rise or dive. Or pressing a button to make the hydrophone louder. There are frequency filters and amplification knobs to allow you to tune your ears. You type cleartext for the radio bot operator, or manually press the morse dit/dat-key so send messages to other crews. Beforehand encrypting it with simple Enigma, or not. The torpedo data computer needs to be set up to be effective. But no bot or AI is going to tell you with what. The realism level is still limited as some things are simplified versus real procedures and functionality. Complexity is higher than the general games, yes. But a manageable step further.