SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-07, 10:45 AM   #31
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267
Uploads: 0

Cool! Will try it out this evening.

Mikael
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 10:53 AM   #32
Woof1701
Commodore

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdrifter
**Released** Depth Charge Shake v1.01 (for use with GWX)

Changes/ fixes in v1.01:

A) Greatly reduced the badly shaking compartments when cruising on the surface in bad weather-

There is still a slight shake sometimes in heavier seas when cruising on the surface, but I had to make compromises to get the correct shaking effect when being depth charged. Please remember that when this shaking sometimes happens, the u-boat is cutting through large waves on the surface, so this slight shaking effect should be somewhat realistic (hopefully!).

B) Doubled shockwave impulse radius for depth charges and bombs-

Shockwave impulse radiuses for bombs and depth charges was doubled to give a slight underwater shaking effect from farther away depth charge and bomb explosions. But distant explosions still won't be felt. Explosion damage and impulse strength for all bombs and depth charges was unchanged. Only impulse distance was increased.

C) I redid this mod using only the original GWX files, therefore this mod is only for use with GWX. It will probably work with other mods too, but it was specifically designed for and tested with GWX.

**Everyone please note that I have put many hours of playtesting and tweaking into this simple (?) mod to try to find the right balance and effect. I had to make a few compromises due to camera limitations and other things, but I still hope everyone will experience some new fear and excitement in SH3 when being depth charged.**

Download here:

http://files.filefront.com//;6512599;;/

Very neat little mod. Currently I'm also using your damage mod, but haven't been damaged very much lately Great work though. Thanks a lot.

Just to clear one thing up on this:
Since I generally play without external cameras, can I determine from the shaking how close the DCs were, as to say: when it shakes a little they were almost close enough to cause damage, when it doesn't shake the boat, the DCs were far off and I needn't worry?
Woof1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:12 AM   #33
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdrifter
**Released** Depth Charge Shake v1.01 (for use with GWX)

Changes/ fixes in v1.01:

A) Greatly reduced the badly shaking compartments when cruising on the surface in bad weather-

There is still a slight shake sometimes in heavier seas when cruising on the surface, but I had to make compromises to get the correct shaking effect when being depth charged. Please remember that when this shaking sometimes happens, the u-boat is cutting through large waves on the surface, so this slight shaking effect should be somewhat realistic (hopefully!).

B) Doubled shockwave impulse radius for depth charges and bombs-

Shockwave impulse radiuses for bombs and depth charges was doubled to give a slight underwater shaking effect from farther away depth charge and bomb explosions. But distant explosions still won't be felt. Explosion damage and impulse strength for all bombs and depth charges was unchanged. Only impulse distance was increased.

C) I redid this mod using only the original GWX files, therefore this mod is only for use with GWX. It will probably work with other mods too, but it was specifically designed for and tested with GWX.

**Everyone please note that I have put many hours of playtesting and tweaking into this simple (?) mod to try to find the right balance and effect. I had to make a few compromises due to camera limitations and other things, but I still hope everyone will experience some new fear and excitement in SH3 when being depth charged.**

Download here:

http://files.filefront.com//;6512599;;/
Very neat little mod. Currently I'm also using your damage mod, but haven't been damaged very much lately Great work though. Thanks a lot.

Just to clear one thing up on this:
Since I generally play without external cameras, can I determine from the shaking how close the DCs were, as to say: when it shakes a little they were almost close enough to cause damage, when it doesn't shake the boat, the DCs were far off and I needn't worry?
Yes, that is correct. But let me clarify one thing- your boat can still shake pretty badly and take no damage... it just depends. When the depth charges start shaking your boat, whether or not those charges actually damaged your boat, start to worry. Let's just say the enemy probably knows where you are and is getting dangerously close to hitting you. When they are dropped right on top of your boat, you will surely know it. I guess what I am trying to say is that the closer the charges explode to your boat, the more violently it will shake. Also, when you hear distant charges exploding but experience no shaking, then it is maybe possible the enemy hunters have lost contact with you.

Here is an example:

A GWX depth charge has a maximum damage blast radius of 14 (meters?). The impulse blast radius of that same depth charge (with Depth Charge Shake v1.01 installed) is always 70 (meters?). So, this means that if your boat shakes even a little, the explosion was probably at most 70 (meters?) from you, or closer. In other words, too #$%#% close.

**Edit** I hope I didn't just give away some secret GWX numbers.

Last edited by nvdrifter; 01-12-07 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-11-07, 11:28 AM   #34
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Just d\l and am installing .Thx this just makes it better.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 12:20 PM   #35
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I just played the U-505 mission with Depth Charge Shake v1.01 installed (not testing- actually playing!). I have to admit, I actually felt... ummm ... scared of being hit by depth charges. I didn't use the outside camera view while playing, and it was really intense and suspenseful.

Last edited by nvdrifter; 01-11-07 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 12:32 PM   #36
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikigod
I hope it doesn't crack my spine.

Will each uboat shake differently? or is it a global value?
Sorry for missing your question. It's global- all shake the same.
Old 01-11-07, 01:41 PM   #37
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Two quick questions:

1) Will incorporating either the depth charge shake and/or longer repair time effect playing multiplayer?

2) Do you have to be between patrols in order to incorporate the mods?
Old 01-11-07, 03:15 PM   #38
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Yes they will affect \MP
Rollback the files through JSGME or have a separate MP install

Yes be back in port before adding - if only to be on the safe side

Nice one NV

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 03:29 PM   #39
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Tried your mod this morning and it's fantastic. Keep'im coming.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:12 PM   #40
Wildhawke11
Lieutenant

Downloads: 55
Default The Shake Mod

Please could someone tell me where exactly i install this mod to
Thank Guys
Wildhawke11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:21 PM   #41
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhawke11
Please could someone tell me where exactly i install this mod to
Thank Guys
Check the included readme.txt file
Old 01-11-07, 11:45 PM   #42
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I found a problem with the fore command room camera zooming in after taking taking extended periods of heavy depth charging/ severe shaking. I am currently working on a fix for this.

Last edited by nvdrifter; 01-12-07 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-11-07, 11:46 PM   #43
Wildhawke11
Lieutenant

Downloads: 55

I did try to open and read it but it sort of tells me i have no permission ?
Hence the reason i asked the question
Wildhawke11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 02:09 AM   #44
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Okay... I'm really starting to like what's going on in version 1.01.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 02:15 AM   #45
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

**Released** Depth Charge Shake v1.02 (for use with GWX)

Changes/ fixes in v1.02:

A) Found and squashed the bug that was causing the fore command room camera to permanently zoom in sometimes after heavy, prolonged depth charging.

Sorry everyone for not catching the camera zoom problem sooner before releasing v1.01. Should be ok now. If anyone experiences the zoom bug problem I (hopefully) fixed, please let me know. This will be the last version release of Depth Charge Shake for a while. I'm tired.

Download here:

http://files.filefront.com//;6525634;;/

Last edited by nvdrifter; 01-13-07 at 11:55 AM.