SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-20, 11:55 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Scuttling Darter

Part of my TMO revamp, including a radio message about the USS Darter aground in Oct 44 at correct time and place(well mostly since Bombay Shoal is not represented in SH 4 had to move it slightly) with coordinates. Players in area can arrive, the rafts with crew which can be rescued(thanks FOTRS) and orders to scuttle Darter once crew rescued.

Now, knowing player will lose career for destroying a friendly vessel, can't have the AI fleetboat representing Darter be a friendly unit. So added a AI fleetboat renamed USS Darter to environmental file. Problem is, it never shows up. All the entries etc are correct. Kind of like icebergs, never see them lol.

Ay ideas? Quick fixes? Perhaps change it to a neutral country? Russia? I forget if get in trouble for sinking neutral. Believe I accidentally sunk a Russian freighter in night surface attack off La Perouse Strait years back but forget if were any consequences.

Propbeanie. Others modders. Suggestions?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 12:07 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Part of my TMO revamp, including a radio message about the USS Darter aground in Oct 44 at correct time and place(well mostly since Bombay Shoal is not represented in SH 4 had to move it slightly) with coordinates. Players in area can arrive, the rafts with crew which can be rescued(thanks FOTRS) and orders to scuttle Darter once crew rescued.

Now, knowing player will lose career for destroying a friendly vessel, can't have the AI fleetboat representing Darter be a friendly unit. So added a AI fleetboat renamed USS Darter to environmental file. Problem is, it never shows up. All the entries etc are correct. Kind of like icebergs, never see them lol.

Ay ideas? Quick fixes? Perhaps change it to a neutral country? Russia? I forget if get in trouble for sinking neutral. Believe I accidentally sunk a Russian freighter in night surface attack off La Perouse Strait years back but forget if were any consequences.

Propbeanie. Others modders. Suggestions?
the date thing can be tough to troubleshoot.

sometimes, it is something simple. PM me the definition you are using, whether it is a dotMIS or Cfg, and i'll eyeball it.

you can sink a neutral and not get into too much trouble.

the trouble starts when you sink a lot of neutrals. this was more of an ATO issue because the US participated in WWII for 2+ years as a "neutral". the Comsubpac and Cominch did not worry a lot about this in the PTO.

anyway, i could swear there was a CFG file that determined how much negative was associated with own-kills and neutral-kills but i cannot find it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 09:35 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I think the game uses a "multiplier" to set the penalty for sinking a neutral or a friendly. Take an 800 renown reward for sinking an enemy ship, but multiply it by -1 for a neutral, and your renown "reward" becomes a -800 renown points...

Look at the Pearl Harbor wreck models in FotRSU for how CapnScurvy set them up as Environmental ships. Sim, dds, and zon files need not apply! Don't forget the cfg file in the Environmental / Sea folder!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 10:09 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I think the game uses a "multiplier" to set the penalty for sinking a neutral or a friendly. Take an 800 renown reward for sinking an enemy ship, but multiply it by -1 for a neutral, and your renown "reward" becomes a -800 renown points...

Look at the Pearl Harbor wreck models in FotRSU for how CapnScurvy set them up as Environmental ships. Sim, dds, and zon files need not apply! Don't forget the cfg file in the Environmental / Sea folder!
I went ahead and changed the AIFleetboat2 I made to act as Darter but as a submarine into type 110(I think) environmental. Placed in vai mission editor at appropriate time and date. Will add the radio message. , will check it out at some point Current career am in October 1943 one year out lol so will have create a testing career to verify it is there.

One problem is Bombay Shoal is not represented in Sh 4, not reef or shallow there, just deep ocean. So had to place it in different place east of palawan on a "reef" . Ah well, it'll be a good immersion factor once works. Respond, pick up survivors, use deck gun and or torpedoes to sink the Darter. Perhaps add enemy planes or DD to have a chance of entering area.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 11:18 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It would have been nice if they could have had a +1, 0, and -1 foot levels in the game, and then, while we're at it - tides!... lol - Look at Apo Reef (I think), and it's got the west part as shallows, but is missing the east part. Ah well.

One thing you might run into with using the Environmental is that they don't (can't??) take damage, so you'll have a time "registering" mission completed on the shelling part of it...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote