SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-06, 11:58 PM   #16
blue3golf
Weps

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

"The Cold War", a compilation of works from writers such as Stephen Ambrose. Many others that were actively involved, can't remember the names and don't have book with mne at this time.
blue3golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 02:13 PM   #17
bradclark1
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Here's one I've had for a while but still haven't read: Psychological Factors In Submarine Warfare, by the US Navy Department.
I can't imagine why.
bradclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 05:49 PM   #18
Deadeye313
Bosun

I just finished "Rise To Victory" By R. Cameron Cooke. I like the book and was amazed than a Los Angeles class sub can't detect a type 214 further than a mile out. I mean, they must have better sensors than that.

Anyone recommend any other modern day submarine or surface books? I like to read about how the equipment is really suppose to work and Cooke did a good job of keeping the technical stuff to a minimum (Not that I mind it). If there was something I didn't like: The rescue of the away team was too much like the rescue of that group on Iceland in Red Storm Rising.

I've already read Red Storm Rising and loved the ASW and Navy parts. I don't feel like reading Hunt for the Red October, because I love the movie. I think it's the best submarine movie I've watch. I don't think something like Crimson Tide will ever happen. People are too cautious and lines are too secure for there to be any reason to not get confirmation to launch balistic missiles.

anyway, any other good modern day Navy novels?
Old 06-19-06, 07:48 AM   #19
Nexus7
Commander

Downloads: 2

Just finished reading P.Robinson "Seawolf class". Quite a lot of action in it, and an ending I'd never have expected...

Next book is "Nimitz class" by T.Clancy
Old 06-19-06, 11:52 PM   #20
lesrae
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

I'm working my way through C. Northcote Parkinson's 'Richard Delancy' series of novels on Napoleonic naval warfare, it's a bit like C S Forster stuff.
Old 06-20-06, 04:07 AM   #21
Khayman
Lieutenant

Read my three books. "Donitz: The Last Fuhrer" by Peter Padfield is certainly one that got me thinking. The author makes a lot of claims he doesn't sufficiently back up, but he throws enough mud that some sticks.

Right now though I'm taking a break from U-boats. Started re-reading Clay Blairs "Silent Victory". I promised I wouldn't as it may make me yearn for SH4, but I couldn't resist.
Khayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 05:19 AM   #22
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Re reading The last year of the Kriegsmarine May 44 - May 45

By V.E. Tarrant

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 05:56 PM   #23
JohnnyBlaze
Officer

Downloads: 204
Default suggestions?

Hey guys!

I'm thinking about buying a book or two about U boats.

Never actually read any books about Uboats so where should I start?

Any suggestions? Anyways I've already ordered the U boat commanders handbook, "Convoy" and "Torpedo Junction".

What do you guys think of those books?

Thanks,

Johnny
JohnnyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 04:16 AM   #24
Khayman
Lieutenant

I'd recommend both the Clay Blair books, "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunters" and "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted". For more personal stories then "Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner , "Hirschfeld: The Secret Diary of a U-Boat" by Wolfgang Hirschfeld and "U-Boat Killer" by Donald Macintyre. Also the Micheal Gannon books are well worth a read, both "Black May" and "Operation Drumbeat".

That should be enough to be getting on with for now
Khayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 01:55 AM   #25
scandium
Ace of the Deep

Just finished "The Sum of All Fears" by Tom Clancy... reading "Master & Commander" now, which is ... different (set in the late 18th century).
scandium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 05:16 PM   #26
Linton
Sea Lord

I am reading Razor's Edge by Hugh Bicheno.It is an alternative view of he Falklands War.I thoroughly recommend it.The author is a former UK intelligence officer
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 03:53 PM   #27
Raedwulf
Nub

I've been laying submerged for a long while

Recently 2 books have come into my possession;
Corvettes of the Royal Canadian Navy 1939-1945, probably the bible if interested in the Flower Class Corvette
The Corvette Navy

I picked these books up as references, I recently purchased a scale model of HMCS Snowberry, going to build the HMCS Calgary, might have to settle for the Sackville, the very last Flower in existence
Old 06-30-06, 08:58 AM   #28
JohnnyBlaze
Officer

Downloads: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayman
I'd recommend both the Clay Blair books, "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunters" and "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted". That should be enough to be getting on with for now
Thanks Khayman, I'm possibly going to order those two books next. Of course only after I've read the ones I've allready ordered.

Hmm.. The place I ordered the books didnt have the commanders handbook..
Do you happen to know by any chance where to get that book? The closer to Finland, the better.

thanks
JohnnyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 05:21 AM   #29
Kaleun
Chief

Downloads: 266

I'm reading Clay Blair Jr's : Silent Victory, the US Submarine war against Japan. To bulk up my sub knowledge of the Pacific War
Kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 06:09 AM   #30
jumpy
Admiral

Downloads: 22

'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer.
linky

Quote:
Synopsis
This is the horror of World War II on the Eastern Front, as seen through the eyes of a teenaged German soldier. At first an exciting adventure, young Guy Sajer's war becomes, as the German invasion falters in the icy vastness of the Ukraine, a simple, desperate struggle for survival against cold, hunger, and above all the terrifying Soviet artillery. As a member of the elite Gross Deutschland Division, he fought in all the great battles, from Kursk to Kharkov. Sajer's German footsoldier's perspective make The Forgotten Soldier a unique war memoir, the book that the Christian Science Monitor said "may well be the book about World War II which has been so long awaited." Now it has been handsomely republished as a hardcover containing fifty rare German combat photos of life and death at the Eastern Front. The photos of troops battling through snow, mud,burned villages, and rubble-strewn cities depict the hardships and destructiveness of war. Many are originally from the private collections of German soldiers and have never been published before.

when you’ve been so long in the desert, any water, no matter how brackish, looks like life

jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books