SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-19, 12:54 PM   #1
Eikson
Seaman

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default GWX Blind Watch Crew

Good Evening,

In my last two patrols with my VIIB I noticed strange things.

My watch crew (usually one qualified Officer + 1 qualified Bootsmann + 2 sailors) are often blind. Both patrols had me going home with almost all torpedoes although the weather was not extraordinarily bad and there were many radio contact reports.
I didn't get the "Smoke on the horizon" message even once and was often only aware of attacks because TC was limited to 8x. If I'd then ask the WO for a contact report he says nothing in sight although there's a clearly visible destroyer shooting at us 2 km away.

Has anyone experienced similar issues ? I'm on Windows 10 with a Steam install and run the game via SH3 commander.

My modlist is:
GWX
GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Integrated Orders
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
GWX - No Medals on Crew
Thomsen'S Sound Pack V3.2cg
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation
New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked
FixAllSubGWX
Pascal_Port_people
OLC'S Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX

Thank you!
Eikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 01:33 PM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi Eikson dont rely on your watch crew or your sonarman to locate convoys

1.when on surface while maning the uzo or looking through the Attack periscope sweeping the horizon keep pressing the L key if any ships or convoys are near you will lock on to them

2.When at perscope depth dont rely on your sonarman your hears can pick up a ship or a convoy at ranges as far as 38 kms away.
When playing any SH3 Campaign as you approach your patrol grid dive to perscope depth for three hours at 2-3 knts and do sonar sweeps yourself its a tried and tested method by seasoned SH3 Uboat Kapitans.

Happy Hunting
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 03:16 PM   #3
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikson View Post
Good Evening,

In my last two patrols with my VIIB I noticed strange things.

My watch crew (usually one qualified Officer + 1 qualified Bootsmann + 2 sailors) are often blind. Both patrols had me going home with almost all torpedoes although the weather was not extraordinarily bad and there were many radio contact reports.
I didn't get the "Smoke on the horizon" message even once and was often only aware of attacks because TC was limited to 8x. If I'd then ask the WO for a contact report he says nothing in sight although there's a clearly visible destroyer shooting at us 2 km away.

Has anyone experienced similar issues ? I'm on Windows 10 with a Steam install and run the game via SH3 commander.

My modlist is:
GWX
GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Integrated Orders
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
GWX - No Medals on Crew
Thomsen'S Sound Pack V3.2cg
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation
New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked
FixAllSubGWX
Pascal_Port_people
OLC'S Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX

Thank you!
You won't get the "Smoke on the horizon" message without Stiebler's patch and I don't see it listed in your mod list.

I've spent a fair amount of time in both GWX and NYGM and have not experienced your example in either.
Old 05-15-19, 03:21 PM   #4
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Eikson dont rely on your watch crew or your sonarman to locate convoys

1.when on surface while maning the uzo or looking through the Attack periscope sweeping the horizon keep pressing the L key if any ships or convoys are near you will lock on to them

2.When at perscope depth dont rely on your sonarman your hears can pick up a ship or a convoy at ranges as far as 38 kms away.
When playing any SH3 Campaign as you approach your patrol grid dive to perscope depth for three hours at 2-3 knts and do sonar sweeps yourself its a tried and tested method by seasoned SH3 Uboat Kapitans.

Happy Hunting
Regarding #2, if one wishes to play the game in a more realistic fashion, Rubini's hydrophone mod will do that.
One can then rely on the sonar man instead of the unrealistic always listening to it as captain.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=193199
Old 05-15-19, 03:43 PM   #5
Eikson
Seaman

BlackSwan and John,

thank you very much for those quick replies.

I do sometimes look and listen myself, but I think it's rather tedious to do it constantly on a long patrol. Therefore, I mostly do it when I close in on a reported convoy.

I will take a look at that hydrophone patch, thanks for that.

I think I found what causes the issue: For some reason, when I uninstall the TKSS sub mod everything goes back to normal. Contact reports at over 10km are possible with a decent watch crew. Unfortunately, this means that I will have to live without those great models for now. I will need to luck into which mod it clashes with.

You are right, I cannot rely only on my crew. But there was obviously something wrong with mine. Sometimes I would get contact reports with freighters just to go on the bridge and see that they are 500 m away. I've had PT boats shoot at my sub and only noticed because of the damage reports. Weird stuff like that happened all the time.

Thanks again
Eikson

Last edited by Eikson; 05-16-19 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-21-19, 09:45 AM   #6
David I
Ensign

Downloads: 360
Default It's the TKSS U-Boat Compilation whats the problem

It's the TKSS U-Boat Compilation, no doubt.
See my comments in the SH3 Mods Section. Although I pointed this out about the Type IX boats I've learned that it also applies to the other boats as well.

I'm not computer savvy enough to fix, but I sure wish someone would.

David I
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 05:57 PM   #7
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David I View Post
It's the TKSS U-Boat Compilation, no doubt.
See my comments in the SH3 Mods Section. Although I pointed this out about the Type IX boats I've learned that it also applies to the other boats as well.

I'm not computer savvy enough to fix, but I sure wish someone would.

David I
I figured that was it. Had some conflicts with it myself, so I don't use it.
Old 06-09-19, 02:06 PM   #8
Eikson
Seaman

I have the same issue now using Aces Superturms v6.

For some reason every mod that changes the exterior model of the boat causes this issue for me, really annoying...
Old 10-03-20, 10:15 AM   #9
doupIls
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikson View Post
I have the same issue now using Aces Superturms v6.

For some reason every mod that changes the exterior model of the boat causes this issue for me, really annoying...
Hey. Im currently playing with the sub compilation mod and im having the sam issue. Did you find a workaround yet? I would really like to continue playing with the mod because the stock models are dated, but a this rate i wont be able to do it. A destroyer almost rammed me in perfectly clear day without the watch crew reacting at all...
doupIls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-20, 10:30 AM   #10
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by doupIls View Post
Hey. Im currently playing with the sub compilation mod and im having the sam issue. Did you find a workaround yet? I would really like to continue playing with the mod because the stock models are dated, but a this rate i wont be able to do it. A destroyer almost rammed me in perfectly clear day without the watch crew reacting at all...
If I recall, the file "AI_sensors.dat" (or something similar, not at my SH3 pc) controls your crew. Someone correct me if needed.
It is found in the data/library path. See if that file is in the mod.
Old 10-03-20, 10:42 AM   #11
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by doupIls View Post
This is the how to correct the issue :

GWX Sensor.dat correction using GUC

For those playing GWX with the TKSS18 German U-Boat Compilation part 1 & 2, plus the German U-Boats Compilation 2 (only VIIB & VIIC models by WISE), be aware that the visual values of their sensor.dat DOES NOT correspond at all with GWX values.

You’ll have to open the last sensor.dat activated in your mod list, and give stock GWX values

Otherwise your watch crew will be blind and detect ships only very close.

Check this thread : https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/arc...14215-p-2.html

Also this link : http://www.mediafire.com/file/9k00yz...or_GWX.7z/file

Fifi made up this correct .dat for GWX.

Hope this helps.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Last edited by FUBAR295; 10-03-20 at 11:11 AM.
FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-20, 04:42 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

douplls!on the surface at last, after a considerable silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blind, gwx, sh3, visual, watch crew