Old 12-21-10, 10:47 PM   #1
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Default Real Navigation .

This is how i use real navigation

Install The latest New UI mod and Trevally Automated Scripts v0.6
The navigator will give you a mark on the navigation map every 2 hours .
Make sure that your real navigation script time corresponds with the game time .

Use your compass to head in the direction you need to go . I want to head 120 degrees . To bring up the compass click on the red square in the heading bar .
In another 2 hours the navigator will give you another plot on your navigation map .

Click on your compass to change direction . I use Church's Compass Dials Mod v2.2 so the compass expands in size when i mouse over it .

Last edited by THE_MASK; 09-08-12 at 10:25 PM.
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 11:48 PM   #2
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Hah good story
This in fact is the only reason I don't want to try RealNav. I don't think between getting Manual Targetting skills back and figuring out the sextant I'll enjoy playing
Old 12-22-10, 12:56 AM   #3
hotlead
Watch

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

What type of u-boat
hotlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 01:39 AM   #4
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Really?

Sh5 = One U-boat class, Type 7. (VII) A through C41.

Looking at the pic I'd say its a Type VII C
Old 12-22-10, 02:37 AM   #5
hotlead
Watch

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Really?

Sh5 = One U-boat class, Type 7. (VII) A through C41.

Looking at the pic I'd say its a Type VII C
Well Duh I knew it was type 7, I was curious which type A B or C, im not that far into the game yet, I finally gotta B
hotlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 02:40 AM   #6
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

U-69 VIIC class 2 .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 12:29 PM   #7
voss
Engineer

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Real Navigation .
I am using real navigation and its very foggy . Heading home and we nearly hit a high sand bank at low tide . That was close .

Getting a bit lost now , but fortunately the watch crew spots a german destroyer and now we have our bearings .

Finally made it back to port . That was fun , not .
Cool!

You wanted realism and you got it! I'm impressed but too much of a whimp to try it myself.

Happy hunting!
4GB 667MHz RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1 GB Graphics Card
Windows XP Pro, SP3, v. 5938
voss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 06:50 AM   #8
ETsd4
中国水兵

Downloads: 91

Which mods do i have to install for the real navigation? Especially what do i have to do to get rid of my u-Boot position on the map?
ETsd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 05:15 AM   #9
Obelix
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETsd4 View Post
Which mods do i have to install for the real navigation? Especially what do i have to do to get rid of my u-Boot position on the map?
As minimum:
NewUIs_TDC_5_8_0_ByTheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_5_8_0_Real_Navigation
Old 12-24-10, 05:25 AM   #10
Obelix
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Real Navigation .
I am using real navigation and its very foggy . Heading home and we nearly hit a high sand bank at low tide . That was close .

Getting a bit lost now , but fortunately the watch crew spots a german destroyer and now we have our bearings .

Finally made it back to port . That was fun , not .
Cool!
I was the second trip away from this mod. I felt like a captain. I plotted relying on speed and course of the boat. All other calculations makes the navigator. I like things this way. Of course, provided that with the navigator did not happen.
Old 12-24-10, 07:45 PM   #11
ETsd4
中国水兵

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
As minimum:
NewUIs_TDC_5_8_0_ByTheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_5_8_0_Real_Navigation
Thanks. Have installed the NewUIs_TDC_5_8_0_Real_Navigation and it works.

Another question concerning position-verification during real navigation:
the SH5-map dont show any lighthouse-symbols.
Is there a list of implemented lighthouses in the game maybe with position-data?
ETsd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-10, 02:58 AM   #12
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

I think, more than any other potential feature, charted navigation aids such as lighthouses would boost the realism of maritime navigation beyond anything else available in a publicly available sim / game today. Not even Ship Simulator gives the user the tools needed to adequately simulate marine navigation. Not that this takes away anything from Ship Simulator. But that game's focus is on ship handling in harbor, not trans-oceanic navigation.

In the mean time, in many cases you can still navigate using edges of land. Just pick three visible points of land more than 10-15 degrees apart each other and take some true bearings. The point where the three lines cross is where your fix is. If you get a "cocked hat" (small triangle instead of a perfect point) then plot your position inside.

I'd like to see if there is a way for SH to plot the ship's position within a circle of uncertainty of say 3-5 nm at an interval of something like every 24 hours at noon, or near sunrise and sunset, simulating the results of an astro fix taken by the ship's navigator. Obviously cloudy weather would make this feature seem a little unrealistic. Regardless this would force the skipper to DR his way around the ocean without having to do all the "extra stuff" required to get an astro fix.

I'm the Captain. I don't need to use a sextant. But I do make decisions based on the best position information available.

And don't forget, depth contours can also be useful wayfinding tools. Take a line of bearing and ping your depth. Then look at your chart to determine the most logical place where both coincide. Doesn't work everywhere. But some places have steeper contours than others.
Old 12-25-10, 07:47 AM   #13
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
I'd like to see if there is a way for SH to plot the ship's position within a circle of uncertainty of say 3-5 nm at an interval of something like every 24 hours at noon, or near sunrise and sunset, simulating the results of an astro fix taken by the ship's navigator. Obviously cloudy weather would make this feature seem a little unrealistic. Regardless this would force the skipper to DR his way around the ocean without having to do all the "extra stuff" required to get an astro fix.

I'm the Captain. I don't need to use a sextant. But I do make decisions based on the best position information available.
I included a new command in Automation that has the navigator plot your current position using celestial navigation. If he's unable to do it celestially (sextant) he'll do it via dead-reckoning. If you make an Automation script for this you can do what you're wanting
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-10, 08:37 AM   #14
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Amazing

This is great stuff. I was reading a forum discussion about the map scale and ruler inaccuracy.

Does this have any bearing with the Nav mod? I'm going to try it anyway, because you don't want to miss an opportunity for realism!

Thank you Darkwraith.
Old 12-25-10, 09:03 AM   #15
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

The maps scale is ok. Its the scale marker at bottom left that is out.
The tools only read to the nearest 50m.