SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-12, 12:15 PM   #16
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
Changes the water and sky mechanics of the stock environment to create a more realistic ocean environment that respects the original atmosphere of the game(SH 1.4/1.5). JSGME compatible. Scene.dat file modified from Real Environment Mod. ISE is compatible with TMO and RFB, just ensure that ISE is installed after your mod of choice.

Version 2 Released!!!

Have fun hunting the new waters of the pacific. Version 2 Released!!!
Many thanks for the Version 2!!! SH4 is live!!!!

Best regards!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 01:41 PM   #17
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57

wow, that looks good will try it, thanks for the effort
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 08:32 PM   #18
Caustic
Torpedoman

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichso View Post
wow, that looks good will try it, thanks for the effort
No problem, it was a pleasure to work on this mod as SH4 needed a new environmental mod. If there are any bugs, let me know. Feel free to post some screenshots as well.
Caustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 12:09 AM   #19
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
Improved Stock Environment(ISE) v2.0
by Caustic and Traveller (Clouds v1.1)
------------------------------------------
-Made waves less aggressive and choppy to eliminate stormy appearence.
-Changed water opacity for more realistic underwater lighting.
-Added sky and env color files for additional compatibility with TMO and RFB.
-Tweaked reflection intensity back to stock values.(0.1 to 1.0)
-Lowered wind speed values.
-Grain effect(post-processing) has been fixed/removed.

+Added Clouds v1.1 by Traveller
-Reduces cloud morphing speed for more realistic appearence
-More realistic cloud shadows
I don't understand about the wind speed. Does this mean we won't have windy weather?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 12:13 AM   #20
Caustic
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I don't understand about the wind speed. Does this mean we won't have windy weather?
Global weather has not changed. Wind values in scene.dat relate to how the wind interacts with the water. Higher wind values create a more sheared appearence (like in the original stock environment), and vice versa. I don't know that much about it it's just something I changed to get the appearence I liked. After testing the mod, I encountered different kinds of weather from hurricane conditions to calm conditions.
Old 04-28-12, 07:41 AM   #21
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

Looking really great.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 04:05 PM   #22
Soviet Creeper
Planesman

Downloads: 143

I love this, I find everything so nice that I actully go to the bridge every few days just to look, no more camping in the map room for 50 days for me
Old 04-28-12, 04:44 PM   #23
Caustic
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet Creeper View Post
I love this, I find everything so nice that I actully go to the bridge every few days just to look, no more camping in the map room for 50 days for me
The days of creeping are over. You probably played other environmental mods, can't imagine playing without something other than the stock graphics, they are quite putrid.
Old 05-01-12, 07:35 PM   #24
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Great mod Caustic! The fog is a little much though. Any chance you could get it closer to TMO's settings? Light fog, is very thin, and you can still make out the horizon, although just barely.

Lookouts can still see ships up to about 7000 yards max, and you can see them too, although they are onlt silouettes.

Love the colors for water and atmospherics, and the clouds and patterns.

Almost have to make seperate versions for the different mods though.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 10:16 AM   #25
Caustic
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
Great mod Caustic! The fog is a little much though. Any chance you could get it closer to TMO's settings? Light fog, is very thin, and you can still make out the horizon, although just barely.

Lookouts can still see ships up to about 7000 yards max, and you can see them too, although they are onlt silouettes.

Love the colors for water and atmospherics, and the clouds and patterns.

Almost have to make seperate versions for the different mods though.
Thanks, It's nice to have one centralized mod. Personally, I really love the heavier fog where enemies can sneak up on you. Perhaps you could post some screenshots of the effect you are discussing and I could possibly implement it somewhere. I have not yet began to modify the environmental files due to the work involved and the exceptional results that occured just by focusing on the scene.dat. My knowledge base is also somewhat limited but i'm still learning.

It would be nice to have a completely new environmental mod but there is already tons of variety out there in this mod and other mods alike. I wonder if you can genuinely create something unique, particularly the water mechanics which cannot be made to look more aesthetic than they currently are. However....Lighting, fog, and ocean color are things that can be greatly customized and possibly improved.
Old 05-02-12, 11:29 AM   #26
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142

Nice work on your mod Caustic. Like you mentioned, I wonder how much further an environment mod could be taken than already exists. Work on such a mod began with the great Leovampire (Dave) and his LBO mod, the files of which are still available. After his untimely passing a few years ago, Kriller took up the torch and continued his work. W Clear began work on another fantastic mod, which I believe is incorporated in TMO. Somewhere down the line as time went by, Kriller and Clear combined efforts, and the result, I believe is what is used in RFB. All the time, actual Pacific seascapes were used as references for water color, and appearence at different times of day. I think at this time we have reached a zenith of environmental development due to game limitations.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 01:27 PM   #27
Caustic
Torpedoman

I figured out a way to greatly innovate the mod that allows for a unique appearence not featured in other environmental mods. The next update should be bigger than the last two combined as I'm deviating from the stock environment even more by using custom textures(For Ocean,Sky +More!) and sounds. ISE could possibly become a standalone environmental mod but i'm still using the stock sky and ocean colors at this time. Some early screenshots of my work.

Stock SH4 1.5 + Improved Stock Environment v2.1

Old 05-02-12, 07:48 PM   #28
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

I agree that everything in this mod looks great. I especially like how you've toned down the water colors and kept the cloudy underwater look. My only complaint, just like Hylander, is that the fog is a bit too much. Would it be possible to make a version that matches the fog settings in TMO and one standalone for those who like your new fog settings?

Last edited by Dignan; 05-02-12 at 07:59 PM.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 09:32 PM   #29
Caustic
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
I agree that everything in this mod looks great. I especially like how you've toned down the water colors and kept the cloudy underwater look. My only complaint, just like Hylander, is that the fog is a bit too much. Would it be possible to make a version that matches the fog settings in TMO and one standalone for those who like your new fog settings?
I'd rather make one version with intermediate fog settings, a mixture of both per se. When you mention fog, you mean surface fog? Just to clarify...
I was testing the fog effects earlier and it's possible to see the silhouettes of ships from long distances but if the time of day is perfect, the fog looks less transparent.
Old 05-03-12, 12:27 AM   #30
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Thank you Caustic! I can understand your point about just having one mod.

I asked, because this is what Ducimus has on his TMO page first post,

COMPATIBILITY:

Quote:
Trigger Maru is not compatible with any large modpack, to include enviromental mods.

The reason for envirornmental mod incompatability, has to do with how he has the sensors set for ships, subs, and aircraft.

So I'm guessing, you would have to compare files, and then change the settings in your files to corelate with TMO's settings.

If you get a chance to contrast and compare, and wish to, I would use it for sure! Just to mx things up a bit from the same old, same old.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote