SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-08, 10:11 AM   #1
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0
Default I surrender

OK;
I really like SH4 but it is apparent to me that I am limited with SH4 patched to 1.4 and TMO, so to enhance this game I need to go to the U-Boat mod.
My problem is, I don't want to play U-Boats. I read on the forum that I can stay with U.S. Boats but get the best out of SH4, is this true?
Please don't start giving me crap about my choice, I like U.S. Boats and the Pacific, no bias or any thing like that. I have U-Boat games and simply do not enjoy them. If I can upgrade and still have the game I want then I will do it.
That being the case how do I go about doing it? I am a cheap Ba...rd and hate paying for things I don't want and will not use. Is it worth my money to go to the U-Boat Mod.

Thank you,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 10:22 AM   #2
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4

yes You can stay fleet boats uboats are optional.

M

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 10:24 AM   #3
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Sailor
I read on the forum that I can stay with U.S. Boats but get the best out of SH4, is this true?
Yes!
Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 10:32 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Here is an older thread discussing the improvements that come with 1.5 U-Boat Missions.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132013
Old 07-16-08, 07:57 PM   #5
Sub Sailor
Commander

Default Payment method

Can I pay using my check card or credit card? I used pay pal or something once and then I had all kinds of spam-some one was trying to use my account etc., I don't want that hassle again.

Thank you,

Sub Sailor
Old 07-16-08, 08:37 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Direct2Drive uses regular credit cards. In three weeks when the combined SH4 Gold is released it will be available through online stores, including Amazon.com.
Old 07-16-08, 09:58 PM   #7
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
I don't want to play U-Boats.
Quote:
Please don't start giving me crap about my choice, I like U.S. Boats and the Pacific, no bias or any thing like that. I have U-Boat games and simply do not enjoy them. If I can upgrade and still have the game I want then I will do it.
Here is a LOAD of CRAP for you to digest.

Then Don't play it. In the main menu of SH4 V 1.5 it is an OPTION to get into a UBoat. I have NEVER clicked on the UBoat option from the main menu to play that portion of the game. I like my U.S. Subs and sail away to victory using manual targeting and send the Rising Sun bastards to the far depths of the Pacific Ocean everyday. I am in my Ninth patrol with SH4 V 1.5 in late 1943 and have NO DESIRE to EVER command a UBoat.

So ..... get it [1.5] ... and see the VAST improvements without getting into a UBoat and stop giving us crap about it.

Quote:
I am a cheap Ba...rd and hate paying for things
You can not afford $10.00?

You remind me of people that squeeze a Buffalo Nickel hoping to get 6 cents out of it.

Tight wad.

I heard the rumor when you open your wallet that George Washington inside your wallet starts BITCHING about the bright light[s]. :rotfl:

Is the rumor true?

Best $10.00 bucks I have ever spent. Move forward, GET IT! And ignore the Uboat portion in the Main menu and sail the far seas of the Pacific in your U.S. based sub .... and ... ENJOY this great patch without getting into a UBoat!

I only use one mod - RFB 1.5 - Real Fleet Boat. I cannot describe the hundreds of hours of fun that SH4 v1.5 and that mod has given me. I don't "cheat". I use 100% realism. Gets tough at times ... but I will survive.

Sink them all!

Last edited by Monica Lewinsky; 07-16-08 at 10:36 PM.
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 08:54 AM   #8
Sub Sailor
Commander

Default Thanks

I appreciate the advice, and to MS. Lewinsky, I am cheap but I am also retired and the price of fuel is cutting into my fishing and hunting. But, I can afford $10, but not for something I don't want. I don't buy combs, even though they are not expensive, I am bald, so I would never use it.
I will wait now until the combined comes out.
I do have some questions, I currently have SH4, patched 1.4, and then TMO- do I start from clean install and then add U-Boat mod? I believe I read that TMO is not compatible with the U-Boat Mod.
Ms. Lewinsky you do have a clever way of making your point. Slick Willie could not have done better. The part about Washington, not true. Andy Jackson, how ever, does threaten to beat the crap out of me with his cane when I open my wallet. I am recovering from a serious fall I went to sit down and fell off my wallet.

Thanks

Old 07-17-08, 10:08 AM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Go for it. You'll love it. You might notice a slight jerkiness of the video, but average frame rates are higher than 1.4. TMO works great with 1.5 and you can resume your 1.4 career as long as you saved in port. You will have to start with a clean install from the game DVD, patch with the UBM add-on and then reinstall mods. When you are uninstalling your 1.4 game, choose the option to preserve saved game information.

Hey, SH4UBM isn't perfect but it beats a visit to the proctologist.

IN DEFENSE OF THE U-BOAT CROWD: Once you figure out what they call the head and how to use the foreign piece of garbage, the U-Boat is surprisingly a lot of fun. It can dive deeper than your fleet boat, but otherwise performs almost as well. The German TDC is fun to use, but not as advanced as your fleet boat. You won't have radar, so you get to see planes up close and personal. If you are playing Operation Monsun, some of those planes have anti-ship rockets! You'll be a couple of knots slower both on the surface and submerged. The torpedoes are about the same (big surprise as the US copied captured German torpedo designs!) Later, you get the incomparable 20 knot acoustic homing torpedo (in the stock configuration)! I have to say the Type IX really grew on me for the two months I sailed it. I had a very enjoyable time.

But you might not care for the U-Boat. I still say you should give it a try. If nothing else, working a U-Boat teaches you to appreciate all the superior qualities of your fleet boat!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 01:11 PM   #10
Sub Sailor
Commander

Default Thank you R&R

I do appreciate all the help and advice.
So everyone knows I am not anti-U-Boat or any nation. When I first went into Subs, when Moby Dick was Minnow, there were still COs and COBs around that had made patrols in WWII, plus Sub School was a museum of WWII Boats and all the heroes. My first Boat was out of Pearl Harbor and they had just finished installing the Sub Memorial on the Sub Base. Plus Admiral Flucky was SUBPAC and Capt. Street had one of the Squadrons. All of that made me a real fleet boat fan. I am sure I will try the U-Boats. You know how it is a serious case of hero worship and envy you missed out, also guys I am old enough that the Silent Service was on TV and until I enlisted I never missed an episode. The career mission are so neat for me because often you are assigned to a boat from history. But, I am sure that is the case with the U-Boats in the U-Boat mod. I believe the U-Boat sailors were truly heroic and dedicated people. I understand others enjoying those boats as I enjoy the fleet boats.

Thanks again,

Old 07-19-08, 04:05 PM   #11
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
I do appreciate all the help and advice.when Moby Dick was Minnow, there were still COs and COBs around that had made patrols in WWII, plus Sub School was a museum of WWII Boats and all the heroes.

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 04:17 PM   #12
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

If anything Sub Sailor, purchasing the add on helps promote more submarine/uboat games in the future. Companies base their direction on numbers. If the numbers are up on submarine sims, more time is spent down the road making more.

BTW, the add on does give more goodies to the submarines and the game engine is much improved.
Old 07-19-08, 06:02 PM   #13
Sub Sailor
Commander

Default Which way is best

So should I purchase the mod now or wait until the gold comes out in a couple of weeks?
ML the Moby Dick was clever, never seen that before.

Sub Sailor
Old 07-24-08, 04:27 PM   #14
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
OK;
I really like SH4 but it is apparent to me that I am limited with SH4 patched to 1.4 and TMO, so to enhance this game I need to go to the U-Boat mod.
My problem is, I don't want to play U-Boats. I read on the forum that I can stay with U.S. Boats but get the best out of SH4, is this true?
That being the case how do I go about doing it? I am a cheap Ba...rd and hate paying for things I don't want and will not use. Is it worth my money to go to the U-Boat Mod.

Thank you,

as simply as i can put it, the u-boat ad-on makes the game load faster and run better, it allows more interactive ability than 1.4 does and the only thing german about it is it lets you play a german side campaign mission in addition to the us side. it doesnt even include german missions or patrols so it really isnt a german ad-on as much as it is a revised game engine so the game runs more efficiently.
Old 07-24-08, 04:30 PM   #15
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER
Quote:
OK;

Thank you,

as simply as i can put it, the u-boat ad-on makes the game load faster and run better, it allows more interactive ability than 1.4 does and the only thing german about it is it lets you play a german side campaign mission in addition to the us side. it doesnt even include german missions or patrols so it really isnt a german ad-on as much as it is a revised game engine so the game runs more efficiently.

like he said

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote