SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-21, 03:10 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default SBD ?

Putting final touches on Battle of Midway for my TMO upgrade. Do we not have an SBD for SH 4(always bugged me how they skipped out on the proper Allied planes) I see an A-24 Banshee (Army's version of SBD) in FOTRS but does not seem to want to work with TMO. Need a TBD as well. B-26?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 03:20 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

No B-26 Marauders, but there is a B-25 that's in FotRSU, and they are probably the strongest plane of all of them in the game - but I forget who made it... should be in the Support / VariousAddInReadMe folder though. The Dauntless is in the stock game, as is the Buffalo and the TBD Devastator, they're just listed as ADB_USDiveBomber, AFB_USFighter and ATB_USTorpedoBomber respectively. I think TMO has them the same. Do not expect an 80° dive out of your SBDs though... at best, they might do a 45°... but at least they're better than the level bombers... - airplanes in the SH series are so weak, they won't even dogfight each other... - you are definitely recommended to set all CV, CVE, AirBases and RGG and scripted airplanes to "Expert" skill level, and even still, you will see some ridiculous airplane acrobatics, such as the "splat after attack" or the "splat before attack" or the "splat into the mountain", etc...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 06:01 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
No B-26 Marauders, but there is a B-25 that's in FotRSU, and they are probably the strongest plane of all of them in the game - but I forget who made it... should be in the Support / VariousAddInReadMe folder though. The Dauntless is in the stock game, as is the Buffalo and the TBD Devastator, they're just listed as ADB_USDiveBomber, AFB_USFighter and ATB_USTorpedoBomber respectively. I think TMO has them the same. Do not expect an 80° dive out of your SBDs though... at best, they might do a 45°... but at least they're better than the level bombers... - airplanes in the SH series are so weak, they won't even dogfight each other... - you are definitely recommended to set all CV, CVE, AirBases and RGG and scripted airplanes to "Expert" skill level, and even still, you will see some ridiculous airplane acrobatics, such as the "splat after attack" or the "splat before attack" or the "splat into the mountain", etc...

Haha yea, they really did go weak as far as aircraft are concerned and don't expect the "big " dives from planes. Yes, I substituted with the B-25 in my Midway mission and was impressed by its performance in the sim, as I added the Battle of the Bismark Sea, the B-25's, P-38's and B-24' they really did some damage. I see there are B-17's in FOTRS, may see if they will work in TMO.

Most planes are set to elite skill level. I plan to remove planes from the carriers or create special models for the script battles so don't get the ridiculous amount of planes spawning. Undecided on which approach as of yet.
Old 03-24-21, 06:30 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

We made the AirGroups for the carriers much smaller than real life. just because of the fact that the game's pilot's never sleep, never eat, never smoke, never have to potty, etc., and their planes never need re-fueling nor re-arming and are always ready to fly as soon as they "land"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 08:12 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We made the AirGroups for the carriers much smaller than real life. just because of the fact that the game's pilot's never sleep, never eat, never smoke, never have to potty, etc., and their planes never need re-fueling nor re-arming and are always ready to fly as soon as they "land"...
I may try that, see how it works out.
Old 03-30-21, 03:25 PM   #6
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

"but there is a B-25 that's in FotRSU, and they are probably the strongest plane of all of them in the game - but I forget who made it..."

I received permissions from HanSolo78 to convert it from SH3 WAC to SH4 FotRSU, he got the model from a 3d model website..