SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-21, 01:09 AM   #1
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Downloads: 169
Uploads: 0
Default CTD trying to start 6th patrol with FOTRSU

Having a strange issue with SH4 (never encountered it before). I'm trying to start my 6th war patrol with a very successful captain, but when I try to click on the large map from the office to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, I get a CTD. Suggestions? (It's September 1942 in-game if that's relevant.)
StickMasterSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-21, 09:25 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You really should post in the FotRSU thread, but we can work with it from here since I did see this... The first thing is to open your Save folder, wherever that is. The default location for the game is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", but if you have used MultiSH4, it'll be in whichever folder you named it, but in that same User's folder. "UserName" in this case is the name you log into Windows with. You can also get there with the "short-cuts" in File Explorer, if you have them displayed.

Once in the Save folder, navigate into the "data \cfg \SaveGames" folder. You should see a few (at least) numbered folders, such as "00000000" and "00000001", etc. They are numbered in hexidecimal, so you might also see "0000000a", etc. Sort the list by clicking on the "Date Modified" column header, such that the newest folder is now listed first. The newest folder is not always the highest numbered. Open that top-listed folder, and find "CareerTrack.upc" file. Open that with Notepad (or Notepad++), or any other plain-text editor. Toward the bottom of the "[CareerTrack 1.CareerStatusLast]" section will be "PlayerCurrentObjectives=IDxxx", with the "xxx" representing a one to three digit number. Let me know what that number is, please.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-21, 09:52 AM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMasterSteven View Post
Having a strange issue with SH4 (never encountered it before). I'm trying to start my 6th war patrol with a very successful captain, but when I try to click on the large map from the office to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, I get a CTD. Suggestions? (It's September 1942 in-game if that's relevant.)
Send PB the info he requested however i have experienced the same thing as you and i discovered that rebooting helps.
Ubi coded SH4 in a manner that makes it very fragile when considering memory usage and error conditions. very sub-standard, in my book.
One question PB forgot to ask: do you have LAA or some similar 4 GB utility enabled?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-21, 10:58 AM   #4
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You really should post in the FotRSU thread, but we can work with it from here since I did see this... The first thing is to open your Save folder, wherever that is. The default location for the game is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", but if you have used MultiSH4, it'll be in whichever folder you named it, but in that same User's folder. "UserName" in this case is the name you log into Windows with. You can also get there with the "short-cuts" in File Explorer, if you have them displayed.

Once in the Save folder, navigate into the "data \cfg \SaveGames" folder. You should see a few (at least) numbered folders, such as "00000000" and "00000001", etc. They are numbered in hexidecimal, so you might also see "0000000a", etc. Sort the list by clicking on the "Date Modified" column header, such that the newest folder is now listed first. The newest folder is not always the highest numbered. Open that top-listed folder, and find "CareerTrack.upc" file. Open that with Notepad (or Notepad++), or any other plain-text editor. Toward the bottom of the "[CareerTrack 1.CareerStatusLast]" section will be "PlayerCurrentObjectives=IDxxx", with the "xxx" representing a one to three digit number. Let me know what that number is, please.
The three digit number says 408. Also sorry for not putting this in the FOTRSU thread, it was 1am and I was too lazy to figure out where it was
Old 03-17-21, 11:02 AM   #5
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Send PB the info he requested however i have experienced the same thing as you and i discovered that rebooting helps.
Ubi coded SH4 in a manner that makes it very fragile when considering memory usage and error conditions. very sub-standard, in my book.
One question PB forgot to ask: do you have LAA or some similar 4 GB utility enabled?
Rebooting didn't help unfortunately. I do have LAA enabled. Though one thing of note is that I enabled it when I first started my campaign, but when I went to check if it was still enabled, I had to reselect SH4.exe as the target file. Is LAA something you have to activate every time you start the game?
Old 03-17-21, 12:29 PM   #6
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

No, once should be enough, you did go into the SH4.EXE properties and uncheck read only before using the LAA thingie didn't you?.
Old 03-17-21, 01:04 PM   #7
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
No, once should be enough, you did go into the SH4.EXE properties and uncheck read only before using the LAA thingie didn't you?.
I hadn't done that previously but when I looked, the read only option was indeed unchecked. I might try and run Windows troubleshooter to see if that works, although I don't have high hopes considering that the game has been running fine up until now.
Old 03-17-21, 02:07 PM   #8
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Ok I got it to work by reloading a save just before I ended the patrol. I'll update if the problem persists.
Old 03-17-21, 06:31 PM   #9
propbeanie

Alright, you hit an OPS mission, but the mission should work... Where are you based at in September of 1942, and which submarine do you have?

Old 03-17-21, 08:39 PM   #10
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Quote:
Alright, you hit an OPS mission, but the mission should work... Where are you based at in September of 1942, and which submarine do you have?
USS Tautog (Tambor-class boat) in Western Australia (Fremantle I think.)

I got it to work by reloading a save from just before I ended the patrol and I was able to start my 6th patrol.
Old 03-18-21, 11:08 PM   #11
propbeanie

Thanks for that... A couple of the missions are "repeats", and that might be what the issue is. A potential fix to that is in the next release, if we ever get through testing... No help for that in v1.39, other than what you did.

Old 03-19-21, 10:02 AM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMasterSteven View Post
When that CTD hit, after you clicked on the map in the office, to start your next patrol... just what was the base you were at, when that occurred... if you can remember that, by chance..??? With starting off.. let Me guess... Manilla, Surabaya then Freemantle... as I saw you mention that base, further on here... If so, that would be the same start off I have with the career I am doing. When I got the Gato, I got jacked to Pearl... after I went ahead & did a patrol out of there, not knowing I had gotten snatched to base out of Pearl (yeah, yeah.. I know.. beaches, pretty girls.. but there is a war on, yanno... ) I did a transfer back to Australia, but at Brisbane.. am hoping with by the time I hit back to base, will be to where I can transfer back out of Freemantle

Your CTD after attempting to start your next patrol sounds an awful lot like Mine...

Quote:
Thanks for that... A couple of the missions are "repeats", and that might be what the issue is. A potential fix to that is in the next release, if we ever get through testing... No help for that in v1.39, other than what you did.
Yeah propbeanie... the circumstances of that CTD occurring right after clicking on the map to start the next patrol... souunndddss awfully.. awfully... familiar... deja vu, any one...
Old 03-19-21, 12:16 PM   #13
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

It happens with even Vanilla SH4, another pet peeve of mine. You get so far into success and lose it. Save often, easier said than remembered at least for me.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote