Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-24-20, 07:51 AM   #1
Captain Prise
Seaman

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
gear Texture modders

Hey all, so I(my friend's laptop) have a really low spec rig but SH5 seems to work fine. Upon installation, it said that the laptop passed all of the system requirements except for the graphics card. Upon playing, the FPS seems to be between 8-25 depending on where the camera is on the boat. I have everything from the setting set to the lowest value.

With that said, my question for modders is that is there a way to reduce the textures such that the game could run smoother or maybe increase fps and the annoying mouse lag that comes with it? I tried searching everywhere to no avail which is why I'm asking here.

Perhaps if textures can't be the issue, there are other (unconventional?) ways that I can set this through? Any help would be very very much appreciated by 2 broke bois trying to get through this pandemic. Thanks in Advance and happy hunting!!
Captain Prise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 07:15 PM   #2
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Prise View Post
Hey all, so I(my friend's laptop) have a really low spec rig but SH5 seems to work fine. Upon installation, it said that the laptop passed all of the system requirements except for the graphics card. Upon playing, the FPS seems to be between 8-25 depending on where the camera is on the boat. I have everything from the setting set to the lowest value.

With that said, my question for modders is that is there a way to reduce the textures such that the game could run smoother or maybe increase fps and the annoying mouse lag that comes with it? I tried searching everywhere to no avail which is why I'm asking here.

Perhaps if textures can't be the issue, there are other (unconventional?) ways that I can set this through? Any help would be very very much appreciated by 2 broke bois trying to get through this pandemic. Thanks in Advance and happy hunting!!
I'd start by posting your laptop's specs and perhaps a screenshot of your current graphics settings in game, then someone might be able to help you troubleshoot this.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 01:03 AM   #3
Captain Prise
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
I'd start by posting your laptop's specs and perhaps a screenshot of your current graphics settings in game, then someone might be able to help you troubleshoot this.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think my specs would be needed. But then I'm not an expert on this stuff. The specs are
-Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1000M @1.80GHz
-4GB ram
-64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor
-Intel HD graphics

By graphic settings in-game you mean the graphics settings? It's all in the lowest. Everything including the resolution.

Forgive me, I think I didn't make it clear that this is not a bug or a problem on the game. It's more on improving performance for a low spec rig by reducing textures possibly through modding or whatnot.
Old 10-25-20, 03:40 AM   #4
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Forgive me, I think I didn't make it clear that this is not a bug or a problem on the game. It's more on improving performance for a low spec rig by reducing textures possibly through modding or whatnot.
I won't lie to you, this ain't gonna happen. Computer graphics is not magic, it's hard work and what you are asking for would require so much work that for a modder wishing to help you it would be easier to take a side job at McDonalds and earn money to buy you a new laptop. Plus, I doubt it would even help - textures are not the only thing that graphics card has to handle.

As for the specs, Intel HD Graphics is indeed your problem. I tried running SH5 on integrated graphics once and even with all details set to lowest framerate was still low. I'm afraid there's no going around this one, unless your laptop can be upgraded with new graphics card.

Last edited by kapuhy; 10-25-20 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-25-20, 09:45 AM   #5
Captain Prise
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
I won't lie to you, this ain't gonna happen. Computer graphics is not magic, it's hard work and what you are asking for would require so much work that for a modder wishing to help you it would be easier to take a side job at McDonalds and earn money to buy you a new laptop. Plus, I doubt it would even help - textures are not the only thing that graphics card has to handle.

As for the specs, Intel HD Graphics is indeed your problem. I tried running SH5 on integrated graphics once and even with all details set to lowest framerate was still low. I'm afraid there's no going around this one, unless your laptop can be upgraded with new graphics card.
Ahhh just as I thought. I was hoping there was already something like it circulating here somewhere or maybe other programs that could help with fps. Oh well, guess ill just make do with what fps I have. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-28-20, 03:03 AM   #6
Captain Prise
Seaman

So I have decided to learn how to compress them myself. I tried looking into the hows but I can't help to think that there might be gaps that I'm missing. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be really great. If I do get successful, I may share it here as well.

I am aware of the work this might need to be done, but I have decided to do it anyway. I'd really appreciate some help guys. Thanks!!
Old 11-01-20, 12:19 PM   #7
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
So I have decided to learn how to compress them myself. I tried looking into the hows but I can't help to think that there might be gaps that I'm missing. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be really great. If I do get successful, I may share it here as well.

I am aware of the work this might need to be done, but I have decided to do it anyway. I'd really appreciate some help guys. Thanks!!
Well, stock game textures are in .dds or .tga format, you can edit both with Gimp (free program). Resizing texture is simple enough, but you'll have to do it for thousands of them (just search for .dds files in my SH5 folder gives 7000 results, and then another 700 .tga files).

If you haven't already, you might also want to try tweaking your Intel HD Graphics options for more performance:

https://www.howtogeek.com/245592/how...raphics-chips/
Old 11-02-20, 03:09 AM   #8
Captain Prise
Seaman

Ahh thank you very much, captain. Your reply is very much appreciated! Now I can move on to work with this and maybe be able to be playable for me.
I'll be sure to check out how I can improve this laptops gaming performance as well.
Correct me if I'm worng but by resize you mean to simply change the resolution right? So can I use paint.net too?

Tags
assistance, fps, lag, textures