SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-19, 07:36 AM   #31
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Send her a winning sweepstakes ticket. A lifetime supply of Spotted Dick or something like that, but she has to go to Bermuda or some other Brit owned territory in order to collect. When she shows you swoop in!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 05:05 AM   #32
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
The US diplomat's wife granted immunity after the crash which killed teenager Harry Dunn is "devastated by the tragic accident", her lawyer has said.

Anne Sacoolas's legal representative, Amy Jeffress, said she would "continue to co-operate with the investigation".

Mrs Sacoolas, 42, left for the US under diplomatic immunity despite being a suspect in the crash with Mr Dunn, 19, in Northamptonshire on 27 August.

But the Foreign Office said, having gone home, she no longer has immunity.

A statement issued on behalf of Mrs Sacoolas, whose husband worked at RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire, said: "Anne is devastated by this tragic accident.

"No loss compares to the death of a child and Anne extends her deepest sympathy to Harry Dunn's family."

It added she had "fully co-operated with the police".

"She spoke with authorities at the scene of the accident and met with the Northampton police at her home the following day. She will continue to co-operate with the investigation," the statement continued.

"Anne would like to meet with Mr Dunn's parents so that she can express her deepest sympathies and apologies for this tragic accident.

"We have been in contact with the family's attorneys and look forward to hearing from them."

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab wrote to Mr Dunn's family on Saturday to explain both the British and US governments now considered Mrs Sacoolas' immunity irrelevant.

The letter said: "We have pressed strongly for a waiver of immunity, so that justice can be done... Whilst the US government has steadfastly declined to give that waiver, that is not the end of the matter.

"We have looked at this very carefully... the UK government's position is that immunity, and therefore any question of waiver, is no longer relevant in Mrs Sacoolas's case, because she has returned home.

"The US have now informed us that they too consider that immunity is no longer pertinent."

"We'll continue to fight for change to the diplomatic immunity laws and any other positive changes we can achieve."

Mark Stephens, a lawyer for the Dunn family said: "She was allowed to, or encouraged to be spirited away on an American transport plane and effectively rendered a fugitive from British justice.

"And now of course we find out that she's not entitled to diplomatic immunity, and in those circumstances she is in a foreign land a fugitive from British justice.

"We do hope she returns herself voluntarily and that this was just a bad piece of advice she received from the American authorities."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-50030750
She should now do the right thing and return to the UK.

Quote:
Ahead of her departure from the UK, Ms Charles told Sky's Lisa Dowd: "My opinion on Anne Sacoolas now wanting to come forward and say sorry - to be perfectly honest, yes it's the start of some closure for our family.

"Having said that, as it's nearly seven weeks now since we lost our boy, sorry just doesn't cut it.

"That's not really quite enough. But I'm still really open to meeting her, as are the rest of us. I can't promise what I would or wouldn't say, but I certainly wouldn't be aggressive."
https://news.sky.com/story/harry-dun...-wife-11834129
I can't say I blame them for feeling bitter.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 11:05 AM   #33
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Might be some room in the Ecuadorean Embassy in London. Might have to clean up some poop first though.
Old 10-14-19, 10:17 AM   #34
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Anne Sacoolas's legal representative, Amy Jeffress, said she would "continue to co-operate with the investigation".
How the hell is she going to do that if she's hiding from justice in her own country?

Old 10-14-19, 12:38 PM   #35
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The parents of Harry Dunn, 19, say they will only meet the US woman allegedly involved if she promises to return to Britain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-50038999

Old 10-14-19, 03:07 PM   #36
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
How the hell is she going to do that if she's hiding from justice in her own country?

We call that cooperation from a safe distance.
Old 10-15-19, 07:09 AM   #37
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
We call that cooperation from a safe distance.
I'm thinking she's hoping time will dampen down the matter but I doubt that will be the case.

Old 10-15-19, 05:18 PM   #38
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I'm thinking she's hoping time will dampen down the matter but I doubt that will be the case.

Wait a bit then send her winning sweepstakes tickets for a seven day all expenses paid vacation trip to sunny Bermuda or other extraditable part of the empire.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 05:47 PM   #39
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I remember a similar story from Sweden

I can't remember which decade or year and which country this diplomat came from-My memory says Soviet.

A diplomat had commit some type of crime and was expelled by the Swedish government, because of this and because he used his diplomacy to prevent from being arrested by Swedish police.

If my memory doesn't play tricks with me

He had, as a goodwill between these to states, his diplomacy removed and prosecuted and got a sentence.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 05:35 AM   #40
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Harry Dunn's parents have rejected the chance to meet the suspect in their son's crash death after Donald Trump dropped the "bombshell" that she was in the room next door at the White House.

Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn felt "a little ambushed" by the offer made by the US president.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-50064595
You know something, I try very hard not to insult other world leaders, especially those who some believe to be our allies, even more so when taking into consideration the political choices for leadership we currently face in the UK.

What on earth was the POTUS thinking

Old 10-16-19, 10:23 AM   #41
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Thinking is not one of Trump's strong points...

<O>
Old 10-16-19, 12:57 PM   #42
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The US woman accused of involvement in the crash which killed Harry Dunn has said she was "disappointed" not to have met his family.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-50070481
That's a bit rich, wanting to meet on terms favourable to her when she was the one who ran away.

She forgets she is the one suspected of taking someones childs life and as such should be returning to the UK to state her case.

Old 10-16-19, 04:16 PM   #43
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
What on earth was the POTUS thinking

In my opinion, our PotUS does not think, he reacts emotionally with what ever will provide immediate satisfaction with little concern for strategic thought.

This is why he appears to backtrack and contradict himself. One decision is not related to another decision to him. Each one is determined by what will provide him with the emotional satisfaction at that moment.

He may, actually be surprised when people call him out on his flip-flopping.
Old 10-16-19, 04:55 PM   #44
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I dont get it, some articles will say the Dunn family flew to the U.S. with the express purpose of meeting Mrs. Sacoolas. Others say they were instead shocked and felt ambushed by her presence at the White House. What am I missing here? My guess is the Dunn family was just ticked off they couldn't capitalize on any media attention.

https://www.voanews.com/usa/teens-pa...who-killed-him

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 10-17-19 at 02:32 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 05:19 PM   #45
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

What's the message being sent here? The UK should just expel a few diplomats. Maybe Trump will explode or something.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote