Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-12-19, 06:36 AM   #61
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Bin stur, Pommes nur pur.

All people in Europe do them a little bit different, use different oil or fat, add different spice or secondary distractions (like fish...). To me, chips/french fried/pommes mean pommes, mayonaise, whie salt, period. I got the difefrent tgastes, and Belgians claim they are their national dish, but I say: the Dutch and the Germans do pommes best. The Dutch use bigger slices/sticks, else not much difference to the German version. Really, for all what is holy: whie salt, mayonaise, golden crispy pommes not dripping with oil. If done right, pommes are far less unhealthy and less fat than their reputation is, its the sauce that does the harm.

Ironcially, the Belgian ones I like worst. If belgian snack, than neither pommes frites nor chocolate or pralines, but - waffles with whipped cream, cherries, at best bitter chocolade flakes a bit and maybe a very bit of cherry Schnaps: Waffles Schwarzwälder style.
Old 10-12-19, 07:51 AM   #62
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

On the topic of fish......when I was living and working in Dordrecht I was based in a factory and as in the UK Friday appeared to be fish day.

I'll always remember the look on the food servers face when I would ask for a fried fish in batter because many of my colleagues would be eating raw pickled herring.

A close friend of mine and an ex-submariner in the Dutch navy called Johnny Van Rodenberg (Johnny from the red mountain....don't you just love some of the Dutch names) once said to me "You English are primitive, eating fish and chips out of a newspaper" and I replied "At least we are civilised enough to cook our fish before eating it"

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 08:47 AM   #63
Skybird
Soaring

Well I like fish, both fried or grilled, and pickled or smoked. Just not with chips/pommes.

But boiled potatoes with butter and salt, and with Herring in Dill cream, is simple, but a favourite of mine.

Its also about calories a bit. A portion of chips and mayonaise already is a bomb, I really do not need even more calories stuffed down my throat in one meal.

BTW, how to distinct between "Lachs" and "Forelle" in English reliably, if Forelle can be both "trout" and "salmon" in English, and Lachs is "salmon" as well? If I would want Forelle, I would order "trout" and be safe, but if I would say "[this and that type of] salmon", I could get both either a Lachs or a Forelle, according to the dictionary.
Old 10-12-19, 05:06 PM   #64
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Try just buying fish without chips from a chip shop like I did.

Medium cod no chips

Do want chips?

No thank you

You sure you don't want chips?

Yes I do not want any chips

Last chance for chips?

NO THANK YOU, NO CHIPS!

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 05:36 PM   #65
Skybird
Soaring

If you want fast food on basis of fish, buy at "Nordsee" in Germany. A bit expensive sometimes, but many dishes are of good quality. And fish is fresh.

For good pommes, buy at a Dutch stand or shop, at least avoid Burgerking or McDonalds, or go to a snack bar of your trust. Many of them however are not good. For good pommes I currently would not know where to go here in my town, the good two stands we had, are gone. But we have three fairgrounds per season, plus Christmas market (six scattered across the city), all these have Dutch pommes stands, and that is often enough for a year anyway.
Old 10-12-19, 05:52 PM   #66
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

For good pommes
You could copy and paste your own recipe from your thread about Pommers you created some years back.

Where the peeled potatoes should be put in a bowl within a kind of vinager store

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 07:40 PM   #67
Skybird
Soaring

A, gourmets like you remember that one, eh?

However, I said back then while the result is good, what you get by pommes made manually from fresh potatoes is not any better than if you buy industry pommes from the fridge in the supermarket, good ones. It needs a lot of time to do it all by hand and wait between steps, it is no "fast food" then at all, you have to wait those time breaks. Really, buy them in the supermarket. Doing pommes frites manually and from fresh potatoes, is no gain in anything, just work, and hours.

P.S. edit:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...=pommes+frites
page 2 "V-day"
The sdauce I mentiojned there, by Heinz, "Tomaten-Cayenne", now is relabelled by Heinz as "Burger Sauce Mexican Style", years ago it was "Andalusian Sauce". Dont ask me what this notorious renaming nonsense should be for, but it is the same sauce. Promised.
Old 10-12-19, 09:18 PM   #68
Archibald
Watch

Downloads: 1

About,https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...hotos/5482892/
Archibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 05:05 AM   #69
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Reece fancy a bacon buttie?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 05:16 AM   #70
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Well I like fish, both fried or grilled, and pickled or smoked. Just not with chips/pommes.

But boiled potatoes with butter and salt, and with Herring in Dill cream, is simple, but a favourite of mine.

Its also about calories a bit. A portion of chips and mayonaise already is a bomb, I really do not need even more calories stuffed down my throat in one meal.

BTW, how to distinct between "Lachs" and "Forelle" in English reliably, if Forelle can be both "trout" and "salmon" in English, and Lachs is "salmon" as well? If I would want Forelle, I would order "trout" and be safe, but if I would say "[this and that type of] salmon", I could get both either a Lachs or a Forelle, according to the dictionary.
I'm no expert on fish Sky but Trout and Salmon are both totally different to one another and both come in freshwater and seawater variants as far as I'm aware.

Old 10-13-19, 06:11 AM   #71
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'm no expert on fish Sky but Trout and Salmon are both totally different to one another and both come in freshwater and seawater variants as far as I'm aware.
Yes, I know. Salmon=Lachs, trout=Forelle. But when I opened the dictionary I found for Lachs many names inclduing the word slamon, but also many names inclduing the word trout, while the german translation nevertheless referred to Lachs, still. I found that very irritating. I wonder whether they maybe had kind of a technical mishap.

I like Lachs/salmon. Forelle/trout is not so much for me.

Whatever. Today its lamb over here.
Old 10-13-19, 06:14 AM   #72
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Yes, I know. Salmon=Lachs, trout=Forelle. But when I opened the dictionary I found for Lachs many names inclduing the word slamon, but also many names inclduing the word trout, while the german translation nevertheless referred to Lachs, still. I found that very irritating. I wonder whether they maybe had kind of a technical mishap.

I like Lachs/salmon. Forelle/trout is not so much for me.

Whatever. Today its lamb over here.
Tis chicken over in my household today but lamb with mint sauce is also a favourite.