SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-16, 09:41 AM   #1
lukterran
Loader

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default End Patrol anywhere Mod Help Needed

Need help getting the tools to create a mod myself. Which ones are available?

I am wanting to create a mod that will allow me to End the Patrol at any point during the game just like if you are in home port.

The reason being sometime during game play I will run into an issue where my can't go into TC higher than 256x without the game getting laggy and possibly crashing.

However, once in Home Port everything gets fixed once the patrol ends. It would be better not to have this TC issue at all. However, since I haven't found an option on here to fix it. I was thinking that if I just had the menu option selectable to "End Patrol" it would make a literally hours of painful travel back to base go away
lukterran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 11:55 AM   #2
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

if you use some mega mod (like TMO) maybe you will get rid of the TC issue.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 12:06 PM   #3
lukterran
Loader

Only mega mod I run is OTC. I have experienced the TC issue with and without it. It normally happens after very, very long patrols where multiple convoys and TF are encountered and not ever ship is destroyed or after attacks on ports.
Old 05-16-16, 02:42 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

What kind of graphics card are you using? Might as well list the rest of your specs for your computer also.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 03:18 PM   #5
lukterran
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukterran View Post
The only Mod I run is the OTC.

Machine Specs:
Windows 7 Pro

Processor:
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W FD6300WMHKBOX

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0) AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD

RAM:
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M1A1333C9 (QTY: 2)

Video Card:
MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 11.2 N750ti-2GD5TLP 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready
Still wondering what tools people are using to actually build the game mods?
Old 05-16-16, 07:24 PM   #6
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Still wondering what tools people are using to actually build the game mods?
Well, your computer specs certainly look good enough. So, that makes the problem game related. Does running SH4 by itself present the same problems? If not then maybe you got a bad download when you d/led OTC. Just some random thoughts.

As for the modding tools, hopefully someone else will come along and make some suggestions as I don't do any modding myself.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 09:06 AM   #7
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

To directly answer your question....modding tools of all kinds can be found within this stickered "SH4 Master Thread". Look under "Mod Tools".

Your "Steam" game should be installed someplace other than the "Program Files" or "Program Files (X86)" folders (to make it easy to change files of the game....which is apparently where you're wanting to go).

However, I don't think you're going to be able to mod an "End Patrol" feature, since we don't have access to the hard coded files of the game that control this type of script. If a "command" is not in the game now, we can't just make another and have the game understand what to do with it. Just my opinion.

===============

You asked in another thread about memory usage, and the game lagging/CTD possibilities. I suggest you follow my reply regarding forcing the game to use the memory you've got. In order to have the "Sh4.exe" file to be changed, there are two things you need to do.

1. Put the game in a folder that will allow changes to it.

2. Make sure the "Attributes" of the "Properties" tab for the file "Sh4.exe" is not set to "Read-only" (which it usually is, by game default):

Follow the directions as outlined.

You should find the LAA "Advanced" menu will show the SH4.exe file as below....with the LAA column set to "True" when it's properly installed:

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 03:48 PM   #8
lukterran
Loader

Thanks I will give that a try and see if things start to work better.

I really is a funny issue. Last night game was working fantastic and running smoothly. Had a recon mission that sent my sub to Tokyo. As soon as I get into the main part of the harbor the game begins to lag at higher TC.

It almost sounds like a memory issue (possibly even graphics card).
Old 05-17-16, 06:54 PM   #9
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
It really is a funny issue. Last night game was working fantastic and running smoothly. Had a recon mission that sent my sub to Tokyo. As soon as I get into the main part of the harbor the game begins to lag at higher TC.

It almost sounds like a memory issue (possibly even graphics card).
When installing the game the wizard will ask if you wish to load the DirectX file v9.0c. Let it, even though I see you have a v11.2.

I don't know for sure, but there's no reason to believe that the newer versions of DirectX will work as the game expects a v9.0c would. There could easily be something missing within the newer versions. No harm will come to the newer version by letting the older version check to see if there's anything it can add.

I don't know if it's a DirectX issue or not, (seems more memory trouble), but always let the game run the DirectX install.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 05-17-16, 08:04 PM   #10
lukterran
Loader

Looks like I already have the LAA working correctly

https://gyazo.com/19726f4823f242f1e3789df665a734e9
Old 05-17-16, 09:30 PM   #11
lukterran
Loader

Ran a memory test everything checks out. Deleted and reinstalled updated video drivers. Still nothing seems wrong in regard to my hardware.

I guess I will try to uninstall the game and reinstall again because the game Crashes as soon as I enter Toyko harbor every time. Might be a file the game is looking for that isn't there or is bad.
Old 05-18-16, 11:52 AM   #12
CapnScurvy
Admiral

If your going to re install the game, don't forget to delete your "Documents/SH4" folder too! Follow this thread for un installing/ re installing.............also, check the Registry for any missed entry's. Make a clean sweep of all of your mods too, no sense in relying on those downloads to not be in error either.

When using your JSGME for the first time after a re install, don't forget to take a "Snapshot" of your clean game files for future compression. I know you're using the Steam version, perhaps it has a way of checking its game files too. Personally, I'd get a DVD copy of the game and throw the Steam version out with the trash! The fact they sell you version 1.3 as their first installment of the game, then ask you to purchase the u-boat missions (v1.5) to bring the game up to speed is a rip off. I wish I could point you to a resonable priced DVD Gold Edition of SH4, but my favorite site (iNetVideo) has run out of their $14.99 supply....least for now.

I know you put the game in the "Program File (x86)" folder. That's a no-no. Unless Steam has control of that aspect too, install the game in another folder of your choosing.

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 05-18-16 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 03:12 PM   #13
lukterran
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
If your going to re install the game, don't forget to delete your "Documents/SH4" folder too! Follow this thread for un installing/ re installing.............also, check the Registry for any missed entry's. Make a clean sweep of all of your mods too, no sense in relying on those downloads to not be in error either.

When using your JSGME for the first time after a re install, don't forget to take a "Snapshot" of your clean game files for future compression. I know you're using the Steam version, perhaps it has a way of checking its game files too. Personally, I'd get a DVD copy of the game and throw the Steam version out with the trash! The fact they sell you version 1.3 as their first installment of the game, then ask you to purchase the u-boat missions (v1.5) to bring the game up to speed is a rip off. I wish I could point you to a resonable priced DVD Gold Edition of SH4, but my favorite site (iNetVideo) has run out of their $14.99 supply....least for now.

I know you put the game in the "Program File (x86)" folder. That's a no-no. Unless Steam has control of that aspect too, install the game in another folder of your choosing.
I will follow the clean install steps tonight and try to flush everything bad out of my system. Full clean.

I have a few options I want to try tonight and see if they work first. I want to try running the game in compatibility mode.

https://gyazo.com/2f2288c24afbc6ec029caea7148b684e

also I will try disabling Display Scaling on High DPI settings and see if that might work. I read something in some Steam forums about that was a possible fix.

Lastly, I was going to try to get Directx 9 and 11 to play nice and see if the version of directx I have installed is the issue.

My last effort will be to purchase a disk version of the game and see if that works. I am also pushing against some of the UbiSoft support folks and see if they have a fix.

Come hell or high water I will figure out exactly what is causing this issue!
Old 05-18-16, 10:56 PM   #14
lukterran
Loader

Running in Compatibility Mode got me about 20 more miles into the harbor yet game still crashed.

Directx 9 didn't seem to do anything. I can't verifiy with dxdiag if I also have 9 running with 11 even though the download and install of directx said it was successful.

So going to do a full clean sweep of all Silent Hunter files and folders, including all registry etc...

(Crossing fingers)
Old 05-19-16, 07:52 AM   #15
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Lukterran, since you're thinking about re installing your Steam download, you might want to look at this thread over on the SubSim "SH4 Wolves of the Pacific" forum section. This last post, from new SubSim member dodougla, may help in placing your game in a folder other than Windows "Program Files (x86)".

As a matter of fact, there are several posts around here that get into how to work with the Steam download. Maybe a search would pull them up. Might be worth your while to look at the Steam Forum as well. I'm wondering if Steam puts Registry entries onto ones system too, making it hard to remove some files that need to be re installed??

I'm suspecting your DirectX version 11.2 is fine. Just let the game wizzard do its thing when you set up what the game should install with regards to the DirectX v9.0c. DirectX will decide what it should add (if anything) to your newer version.

One thing you won't need to add within the install wizzard is the "Game Shadow" part......I guess the Steam version of the game contains this?? The DVD version does. You don't need it, and really you don't want it either!

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 05-19-16 at 08:02 AM.