SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-15, 12:43 AM   #391
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229
Uploads: 0

I've tried checkmarking and DL'ing the AFRS folder itself, and opening the AFRS folder itself then checking all of its contents and DL'ing all those as a zip. I haven't tried DL'ing each individual 256MB file in the AFRS folder separately, though it would only take a few minutes to go through them all (and thus isolating the corrupt file in the process) - admittedly I felt too lazy to do that, though...

Great stuff, BTW. One of the better mods available for the sim, IMO.

EDIT: I started downloading them all individually. Curiously, doing it this way resulted in an even faster DL than downloading the AFRS folder itself. I'll let you know which one is bad, if that's the case.
EDIT 2: OK, they all downloaded uninterrupted and at their correct sizes, so other than listening to them all individually, I don't know what else to do to isolate the issue. I'll just install them now and enjoy them in the sim. Thanks.
EDIT 3: Yeah, uncompressed this is a huge, huge package, lol. Part 1 alone will keep me occupied for a quite a while, let alone the remaining 20-something parts. You did an awful lot of work putting this together, and I love the results. Bravo!

Last edited by Treetop64; 07-10-15 at 01:20 AM.
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 11:51 AM   #392
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

It must've been something about trying to download the whole folder. FTR, which browser were you using? That also could've been part of the problem. Mediafire sometimes seems to prefer one browser over another.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 08:57 PM   #393
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229

Chrome.

As you said, it could simply be the AFRS folder size itself causing the problem. As noted DL'ing all the individual files went much faster than DL'ing the folder containing the files, and they all look OK so far.
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 06:16 AM   #394
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Consolidating the Radio Station files for Multi SH4 installs

I don't know if this has been discussed or addressed before. I now have several different installations of SH4 for specific mods such as TMO, GFO, RFB, FOTRSU, etc and I love my RADIO. I had been simply copying the RADIO folder to each and every SH4 installation which takes time and takes quite a bit of disk space when my RADIO has so many stations with many years of music.
I got to thinking, could I consolidate the RADIO Folder outside the SH4 installation(s) and simply edit the radio.ini file to point to that folder.
Yep, it partially works for music only, and only requires one instance of the RADIO folder with as many radio station installations as you choose. Then, all you need to do is edit the radio.ini file and copy it to each installation's Radio folder. The individual event folders do not translate to a single install. [EDIT: January 2, 2021 - I have since gone to using a single RADIO Folder install for each mod, while the music seems to play OK, the events do not. I haven't yet been able to figure out a proper edit to get the different SH4 variants to recognize the Events Folders.

Fred has done a remarkable job of compiling these many radio stations as have others. Sometimes, when I am busy doing other things, I play the game (usually TMO/RSRD/OTC) on 1x with the radio on, with an external view of my sub cutting through the waves. It plays in the background kind of like a fully animated screen saver with music.
While it is not practical to play the entire campaign at 1x, when I am tending to other household chores and I'm enroute to a patrol area, I set it at 1x and enjoy the ride. It also reinforces a sense of how long and boring those journeys were. Days of boredom interrupted by moments of sheer terror.

My career was in radio broadcasting until I retired in 2002, taking up my new career as professional sailor and A.S.A. Sailing Instructor. I've always loved the Old Time Radio series and music, much of it which is easily available on-line at sites such as archive.org (among others.)

For my own use, I sometimes extract bits and pieces of different radio shows and edit them into wartime commercials and PSAs and add these to the music folders to play randomly. I've discovered some real gems just by listening to the different radio series of the time and noting which commercials, annoucements and PSAs would work in the SH4 gameplay.

With the release of FOTRSU public beta 6.1, I can sense a greater interest arising from some of the old players who may have stepped away from the game for awhile.

Radio isn't for everyone, but for those of us who love this great addition to our gameplay, well, WOW.....

Again, thanks to Fred and the many others whom have contributed to this part of the gameplay.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 01-02-21 at 12:59 PM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 01:01 PM   #395
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Front Runner still here, still following RADIO Mods...

I've been integrating some of the later releases such as the International Radio Mod into my Radio Folders. If you have enough Hard Drive space, (it is 2021 and I've got plenty of Terrabytes of storage...) Radio is fun!

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 11:39 AM   #396
Warrant306
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 55

Thanks for the radio mod's. Nice touch
Warrant306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 07:20 PM   #397
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

One of these years, I'm gonna get around to adding all the programs I've accumulated since my last update.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, radio, radio stations