SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-20, 08:13 PM   #1
bigbear
Watch

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Does Wolfpack have widescreen monitor support?

I have been trying to get an answer to a simple question: Does Wolfpack support a widescreen 3440x1440 monitor? I haven't been able to get SH3 or SH5 to work on it, so I was hoping that Wolfpack would do so, but I don't want to lay out more money for stuff that doesn't work. Since widescreen monitor prices have fallen so much (now you can get my screen on Wallmart's website for only about $500), it makes sense that modern programs handle them, but after the bad experiences with SH, I am a bit nervous about it with Wolfpack.

Last edited by bigbear; 08-26-20 at 10:24 AM.
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 04:48 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

It definitely has widescreen support, playing it on 16:9 1920x1080 myself. People have also played it on larger resolutions. Some people reported getting bearing indicators being clipped off-screen in the periscope screen. Not sure if that is fixed already. Can't confirm your specific resolution.
Old 08-21-20, 08:35 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

hi bigbear, the game should work on widescreen monitors, it does use the 16:9 aspect ratio. We've not seen any issues on the systems we use. Of course, we don't have every type and size of monitor to test it on, so if there is an element that gets cut off, let us know about it. In the past there was an instance where the lower chat box was cut off but that was addressed.

I've seen multiple posts on this everywhere, will post this response.

Neal
Old 08-21-20, 10:03 AM   #4
bigbear
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
hi bigbear, the game should work on widescreen monitors, it does use the 16:9 aspect ratio. We've not seen any issues on the systems we use. Of course, we don't have every type and size of monitor to test it on, so if there is an element that gets cut off, let us know about it. In the past there was an instance where the lower chat box was cut off but that was addressed.

I've seen multiple posts on this everywhere, will post this response.

Neal
Neal, the problem is that 16/9 is not the same as 3440/1440. I am pretty sure that is why the SH games don't work on my monitor. As long as I can get my money back if it doesn't work, then maybe I shouldn't care, but I don't know how difficult it is to get it back from Steam.
Old 08-21-20, 10:23 AM   #5
Lost At Sea
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 94

A Steam “refund” is guaranteed if you do not go beyond 2 hrs of gameplay.
That’s plenty of time to check if your widescreen preferences are compatible with Wolfpack.
Hopefully they are

Note: Steam does not refund cash, it will add back the value to your Steam account for any future purchase within the Steam platform.

Cheers,
Lost
Lost At Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 01:54 PM   #6
bigbear
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost At Sea View Post
A Steam “refund” is guaranteed if you do not go beyond 2 hrs of gameplay.
That’s plenty of time to check if your widescreen preferences are compatible with Wolfpack.
Hopefully they are

Note: Steam does not refund cash, it will add back the value to your Steam account for any future purchase within the Steam platform.

Cheers,
Lost
Thanks, Lost!

Now I just have to figure out whether the game is even worth getting! I have seen such mixed reviews which has delayed my purchase up to now. I guess my biggest gripe is that it doesn't have a campaign mode.
Old 08-21-20, 03:47 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I got the same value refunded to my paypal account (for a different game). It's not cash-cash, but it's not like it is returned in Steam-vouchers or anything either.

Last edited by Pisces; 08-21-20 at 07:08 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 05:55 PM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
Thanks, Lost!

Now I just have to figure out whether the game is even worth getting! I have seen such mixed reviews which has delayed my purchase up to now. I guess my biggest gripe is that it doesn't have a campaign mode.
Mixed reviews? Wolfpack has a summary of "Very Positive".

If you're uncertain, just wait until the game is finished. Currently it is in early access, so it is available for people who want to support the development to get a crack at the game before it is finished.
Old 08-21-20, 07:13 PM   #9
bigbear
Watch

Quote:

If you're uncertain, just wait until the game is finished. Currently it is in early access, so it is available for people who want to support the development to get a crack at the game before it is finished.
Yes Neal, the fact that it has such positive reviews is why I am interested. The "mixed" part is due to the very fact that it is unfinished. Some feel that it is best to wait. I like to help developers (since I was one myself), but I got stuck waiting (and paying) for many years on DCS modules and still don't know when we'll see something that is really fun to play from them. So I have gotten a little gun shy. Especially after spending all kinds of time trying to get SH3 or SH5 to work (unsuccessfully). I have this feeling that either Wolfpack or UboatSim will be the way to go, though, and that Wolfpack appears to be further along.
Old 08-25-20, 02:12 PM   #10
bigbear
Watch

Quote:

Well, I decided to give Wolfpack a try, and to my delight, it appears to support my 3440x1440 screen! I am starting the tutorial now, and hopefully the in-game controls will be accessible and work ok. At least the screen images look good so far!
Old 08-25-20, 06:07 PM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Oh man, I'm glad to hear that!
Old 08-25-20, 09:18 PM   #12
bigbear
Watch

Quote:
Neal, the controls all work just right. And the level of detail is exactly what I was hoping for. I haven't played any mission yet, but this looks, really, really good. I sure hope you guys are able to push forward at a good pace with this game. I know that what is here already is a hell of a lot of programming and I know a lot more must lie ahead.
Old 08-26-20, 10:22 AM   #13
bigbear
Watch

Quote:
It looks like my enthusiasm was a bit premature. It appears that the game does NOT support widescreen monitors -- FULLY that is. In the control room, the controls all seem accessible, but when i go into the conning tower, I am not able to access any of the controls. The A & D keys will not enable me to fully turn around in the room and moving the mouse cursor to the left just stops at a certain point and doesn't quite enable me to access the controls and moving it to the right stops at a point where it doesn't enable me to access the attack periscope.

So, the game is essentially unworkable for me until that gets fixed and I am out $37. Bummer.
Old 08-26-20, 10:55 AM   #14
bigbear
Watch

Default Does Wolfpack have widescreen monitor support? Answer: NOT YET

A few days back, I posted a new thread asking if anyone knew if Wolfpack supports widescreen monitors, specifically 3440x1440. After trying it out, I prematurely stated that it does, at which point an admin of this site appended the title of my thread with the text "Answer: Yes".

Unfortunately, as I started to go through some of the training, I discovered that I was unable to move my cursor sufficiently in the conning tower to be able to access the navigation controls or the attack scope. That kind of makes the game unplayable -- at least as far as my (very) limited knowledge of the game is concerned.

So if you are purchasing the game with the idea that it works with widescreen monitors, you probably want to wait a bit. I will update this thread when that capability becomes available. Or if the developers would update this thread, that would be even better. I would have just used the earlier thread to make this point, but I am unable to change the title of that thread after the admin changed it, so rather than have the title of that thread mislead some people, I am creating this thread to make the correction.
Old 08-26-20, 12:31 PM   #15
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
A few days back, I posted a new thread asking if anyone knew if Wolfpack supports widescreen monitors, specifically 3440x1440. After trying it out, I prematurely stated that it does, at which point an admin of this site appended the title of my thread with the text "Answer: Yes".

Unfortunately, as I started to go through some of the training, I discovered that I was unable to move my cursor sufficiently in the conning tower to be able to access the navigation controls or the attack scope. That kind of makes the game unplayable -- at least as far as my (very) limited knowledge of the game is concerned.

So if you are purchasing the game with the idea that it works with widescreen monitors, you probably want to wait a bit. I will update this thread when that capability becomes available. Or if the developers would update this thread, that would be even better. I would have just used the earlier thread to make this point, but I am unable to change the title of that thread after the admin changed it, so rather than have the title of that thread mislead some people, I am creating this thread to make the correction.
Merged this thread with your original. Update us when you are more familiar with the game.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote