SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-10, 11:47 AM   #1
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Default A suggestion for proper documentation

For those of you that are creating new items/changing/tweaking SH5 I applaud you I have one concern and to me, it's a big one.
I love seeing new things being released for the game. It's great. What I would like to see is proper documentation of what you did/ what you changed. That way one can evaluate what you did and then if another user wants to change it to their liking they can easily 'tweak' the change you made. If not, a mod soup is going to quickly develop and it's going to be hell trying to figure out if this mod will break/cause hassles with this mod. With the changes listed, a developer can look at the file and see that mod A is using these files and made these changes. Then they can contact the other person and work with them to incorporate their changes (if need be) or see if it's ok to use those changes in their mod.
This will greatly simply merging many little (or even big) mods into one so called super-mod.
I'd like to see this documentation listed in the \documentation folder of the mod. Format of something like this:

parameter, old value, new value, reason for change (experiment, incorrect value, etc.).
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 11:55 AM   #2
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

Very unlikely DW. You make to much sense.

btw. Thank you for your hard work modding SH5.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 12:16 PM   #3
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

your welcome. I love designing and programming so playing with scripts is right up my alley.
I am very concerned though at the amount of mods being released without any/hardly any documentation as to what they changed. How do I know that what they are doing is correct? Do I know for sure they are going for realistic values or gaming type values? I won't install anyone's changes unless they document what they did so I can evaluate it and change it to my liking if I want to.
Yes documentation is a PITA. But once you get into the habit it's really easy to do
I find it hard to believe that the people designing here aren't keeping a record of what changes they have made....if they aren't that's beyond bad

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 03-08-10 at 12:42 PM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote