SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-25-20, 06:55 PM   #1
dlsa
Watch

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Default FOTRS no steam torpedo wakes ?

Hi fellow subsimmers,

I did an attack on two merchants a while ago, fired two fish at each one, but did not see the wakes through the periscope.
I was expecting them to be visible, and maybe the closest ship to see the wakes of the torpedoes I fired at the farthest one, and change course.

Is this normal ?
Thanks
Old 10-26-20, 02:11 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsa View Post
Hi fellow subsimmers,

I did an attack on two merchants a while ago, fired two fish at each one, but did not see the wakes through the periscope.
I was expecting them to be visible, and maybe the closest ship to see the wakes of the torpedoes I fired at the farthest one, and change course.

Is this normal ?
Thanks
what type torpedo did you fire?
plus, you are in the wrong forum if you are playing FOTRSU. you should use that forum.

when you have a specific issue/problem/question such as this, you should
a. be in the proper forum
2. document your mod set using the JSGME Task-List
D. provide as much specific info as possible: boat type, patrol objective/mission, approx date/time within the game, where are you located within the game map (approx lat/long), and in this case, which torpedo you fired.

all of this will help us try and answer you in an expeditious manner.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 04:16 PM   #3
dlsa
Watch

Hello,

Thanks for you reply. I can only find the mods workshop forum having anything related to FOTRSU. Is there any other ?

Thanks
Old 10-26-20, 09:37 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsa View Post
Hello,

Thanks for you reply. I can only find the mods workshop forum having anything related to FOTRSU. Is there any other ?

Thanks
that is the correct forum.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=243064

LAA enabled
Old 10-27-20, 07:34 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I am wondering KaleunMarco, if maybe dlsa isn't referring to the old FOTRS = Fall of the Rising Sun, as opposed to the FotRSU = Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate? There is a world of difference in many aspects. Even though FotRSU is based on FOTRS (which grew from TMO v1.7), it includes parts of ~all~ versions of FOTRS, v1.2, v1.3 & v2.0 ship Rosters, etc., but has alterations to supporting files, such as the torpedo sim files, as well as additions to the mod from other sources.

Can you tell us dlsa which version of what you are naming as "FOTRS", it is that you have? Also, it can be very difficult at times, to "see" the torpedo tracks from the periscope, especially if the sea is up any.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 08:40 PM   #6
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

I can confirm that FOTRS v1.24 Ultimate does indeed have visible torpedo wakes in the periscope. I just sank a Large European Oiler with 3 Mk14s about 10 minutes ago and watch the wakes all the way to impact.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 10-27-20 at 09:11 PM.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 09:33 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
I can confirm that FOTRS v1.24 Ultimate does indeed have visible torpedo wakes in the periscope. I just sank a Large European Oiler with 3 Mk14s about 10 minutes ago and watch the wakes all the way to impact.
geeez, how did you do that? were you like 17 miles away? if i left my scope up that long in FOTRSU i would take gunfire up-the-kazoo.

LAA enabled
Old 10-27-20, 11:50 PM   #8
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
geeez, how did you do that? were you like 17 miles away? if i left my scope up that long in FOTRSU i would take gunfire up-the-kazoo.

600 feet distance from track, fast 90, lead angle of 10. Running time was zilch. I like to get up close and personal, especially in the early months of the war when you have duds up the kazoo.. A quick turning of the scope and TDC press and another one or two torps can be fired off if the first torps were duds. Being close allows for fast reaction and minimum torp run time before the enemy ship can turn away appreciably.

Point was. There were visible wakes up until impact

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Old 10-28-20, 07:08 AM   #9
dlsa
Watch

Hello,

Thankyou for your replies. I am running FotRSU = Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate v1.24 and then patched to v1.26

I have made another attack and this time I saw the torpedo wakes. I guess I maybe was distracted the first time.

Thanks,
Regards
Old 10-28-20, 07:13 AM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The angle of the shot, lighting, etc., all can make a difference in that.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 01:53 PM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
600 feet distance from track.
Point was. There were visible wakes up until impact
you'll get no argument from me on setting up as close as possible for a shooting solution.
my point was that i would never think of leaving the scope up long enough to see the fish hit because the enemy detects and shoots at me (us).
we have been sunk at periscope depth from taking shell fire. especially with FOTRSU.

you're braver man than i am, gunga din!

LAA enabled
Old 10-28-20, 03:29 PM   #12
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Quote:
you'll get no argument from me on setting up as close as possible for a shooting solution.
my point was that i would never think of leaving the scope up long enough to see the fish hit because the enemy detects and shoots at me (us).
we have been sunk at periscope depth from taking shell fire. especially with FOTRSU.

you're braver man than i am, gunga din!

Really? I've detected gunfire before but never been hit when at periscope depth unless it was a plane doing depth bombing or something. Anyhow, I wouldn't do this in the midst of a convoy in day time. That would be courting disaster. The happening described above was a single ship cruising along all by its lonesome and I was barely moving, so no scope wake. Would have taken him some extra time to sight me in. Had a big sign on the side that said "Sink me, if you can!" Just kidding of course. LOL

Old 10-28-20, 04:34 PM   #13
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Really? I've detected gunfire before but never been hit when at periscope depth unless it was a plane doing depth bombing or something. Anyhow, I wouldn't do this in the midst of a convoy in day time. That would be courting disaster.
what i described has happened...more than once. during a day attack as well as night attacks.

however, these occasions occurred during attacks on convoys/TF, not single ships. And...typically it is not the initial attack but a follow-up attack that draws the intense gunfire from being close aboard a ship that can fire weapons.

the FOTRSU warships are fierce, especially the DD/DE's. Once you are detected, if they are not firing their deck weapons, then they are launching frickn torpedoes at me. it is downright unhealthy for a Kaleun and his valiant crew. which is fine...okay...because we are making it frickn unhealthy for them also.

just saying.....don't go trying to set up a 600 yd shot on a major combatant in the middle of a TF line at any time of day or night.

LAA enabled
Old 10-28-20, 04:58 PM   #14
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Quote:
what i described has happened...more than once. during a day attack as well as night attacks.

however, these occasions occurred during attacks on convoys/TF, not single ships. And...typically it is not the initial attack but a follow-up attack that draws the intense gunfire from being close aboard a ship that can fire weapons.

the FOTRSU warships are fierce, especially the DD/DE's. Once you are detected, if they are not firing their deck weapons, then they are launching frickn torpedoes at me. it is downright unhealthy for a Kaleun and his valiant crew. which is fine...okay...because we are making it frickn unhealthy for them also.

just saying.....don't go trying to set up a 600 yd shot on a major combatant in the middle of a TF line at any time of day or night.

Interesting! Definitely sounds realistically fun. Being an ex-TMO player who just recently started messing with FOTRSU, I've only had early war experiences so far and no convoys just yet in FOTRSU and due to various corruption issues, I've had to restart several times this week. Most of my action to date has been in the Inland Sea when FOTRSU gives me free reign to go where I want. Seems there are a lot of single targets there at war start. Large European Oilers (10000 ton) and last time I was in there 2 (count em) 2 Whale Factory Ships (17958 tons each). In early game, building renown, these are just the ticket for starting out.

AND... whoever put the large gun on a Jap tugboat needs to be shot. LOL Surfaced about 2 miles away from one of those with my backside 180 to him at Full/Flank speed and he was still shelling me out to 4 miles as I ducked up/down to periscope depth and continuously zigzagged. (I didn't trust him not to have depth charges also so I didn't want him to catch up to me by remaining at periscope depth).