SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-21, 12:46 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Which files control the weather intervals?

Weather in TMO at different times in a campaign is a bit off. Which file(s) control the weather? Basically, in June 1944 in central Pacific and have Winter Atlantic weather all the time lol. Having to played god and hit control+N all time just to run the sim in normal pacific weather, dislike it immensely.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 06:00 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Weather in TMO at different times in a campaign is a bit off. Which file(s) control the weather? Basically, in June 1944 in central Pacific and have Winter Atlantic weather all the time lol. Having to played god and hit control+N all time just to run the sim in normal pacific weather, dislike it immensely.
you may want to re-think your opinion.
in my experience, i would much rather make a submerged attack with huge waves than with smooth seas. all of that wave activity masks the noise of my boat, enabling us to run at PD for much longer than usual and that allows us to attack for much longer than usual.

but, suit yourself.

the only place that i am aware of that can affect the weather is in the Mission files (.mis). for example, this is from one of the dotMIS files in PatrolObjectives folder.

i do not know of any other files that can be used to control weather.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 11:36 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
in my experience, i would much rather make a submerged attack with huge waves than with smooth seas. all of that wave activity masks the noise of my boat, enabling us to run at PD for much longer than usual and that allows us to attack for much longer than usual.

but, suit yourself.

the only place that i am aware of that can affect the weather is in the Mission files (.mis). for example, this is from one of the dotMIS files in PatrolObjectives folder.

I thought that may be it, but was thinking that was for single missions but not within a campaign? I'll try it out.

Well, I don't want calm seas all the time, but the way it changes currently such as on my last patrol(3 june 1944- 29 July 1944) is a bit much. Weather was Atlantic like, bit of an immersion killer for a pacific sim. Sure, heavy seas are nice for masking attacks, especially in shallow waters but if like that all the time, means player rarely gets depth charged, which is anti climatic. Heavy seas makes night surface attacks difficult, the bow and stern wakes makes it easier for enemy to spot, slows speed and maneuverability on surface, makes some ships impossible to torpedo as their draft is shallow and waves cause them to ride higher. Again, don't mind the variety as attacks were made under different conditions but the current interval in that campaign file is 5 hours, so if that is the setting need to change, no wonder weather was so erratic. It's about balance.
Old 03-11-21, 11:09 AM   #4
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Ctrl N sets the weather and that's about all the control over the weather you'll ever have, if the weather could be altered don't you think that there'd be loads of weather mods in the download section?.
As for changing anything to do with the weather in the mission files that's a busted flush as well, the game engine will take over eventually and do what the hell it wants to do, you could change the weather parameters in the scene.dat file but you could end up making a complete bleeding mess of it as well, your choice, good luck.
Old 03-11-21, 01:39 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
you could change the weather parameters in the scene.dat file but you could end up making a complete bleeding mess of it as well, your choice, good luck.
THAT'S the file i couldn't remember: scene.dat

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 09:54 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

but, suit yourself.

Yes, this does control the weather. In the 44b Jap Convoys file (since my patrol was in Dec 1944) changed weather interval from 5 to 24, saw stable weather, will probably lower it a little but worked fine.