SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-30-17, 07:56 AM   #16
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0

Fire down the bearing of the sound and evade?
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 10:36 AM   #17
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosphereIX View Post
this realism mod seems rather difficult

I am not bad at this game, but with this mod installed, I get my ass handed to me by anything more than a Foxtrot. A Victor I should not get the upper hand on an LA class...but he can hear me, shoot me and I have no idea where he is.
I can assure you, Victor I does not have an upper hand on 688 nor does any other sub actually. You can check the files if you want. If I were to guess I'd say that you were very close (within active sonar range), he randomly pinged, detected you and fired his torpedo.

Keeping distance is the best way to ensure safety with this mod. Or in other words: at 12 KYDS you can hear him (faintly but still) but he can't hear you. So you have the advantage. At 5 KYDS you can hear him, but he can hear you too (depending on the weather) so you're on even grounds.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 07:33 PM   #18
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Downloads: 65

I used a lot of your values for the best gaming experience for me. E.g. I have a 5 minutes weapon reload time on expert mode now. Just to name one.

Are there any updates or future planes for the mod right now?
LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 09:54 AM   #19
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3

It says in the mod page that this is for 1984 campaign.. But I don't actually see a reason why most/all features would not be appropriate for 1968 as well?
Barleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 06:13 AM   #20
Barleyman
Gunner

Looks like it breaks the game too (on 1.08 patch) so no go, 1984 or not. Signatures don't appear in the tab plus campaign start menu is all messed up.. I guess I just have to go over things piecemeal.

Last edited by Barleyman; 10-14-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-14-17, 04:45 PM   #21
Barleyman
Gunner

I went over weapons/sensors/config plus the vessels and added missing lines to the override files. Basically 1.08 has some new things that were missing plus there was one missing [/model] tag that can really mess you up depending on how the file is interpreted.

No more messed up text on campaign loading screen and signatures are back too.
Old 10-20-17, 05:50 AM   #22
Bungo_Pete
Medic

Downloads: 14

Well after many hours of playing with this Mod (68) only it is totally unplayable well at least for me.
Bungo_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 08:08 AM   #23
Barleyman
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo_Pete View Post
Well after many hours of playing with this Mod (68) only it is totally unplayable well at least for me.
I have been playing -68 campaign without the campaign changes.. It's pretty tough in parts but anything specific that's not right?
Old 10-20-17, 02:35 PM   #24
Barleyman
Gunner

If anyone's interested, here are the modified files for 1.08c - I have not intentionally changed anything but I did file comparison vanilla vs modded and added missing lines where appropriate. Plus fixed that one missing tag. Presumably the mod is for older build which doesn't have all of the variables from the latest versions. End result - signatures work ok and no goofiness with the campaign menu.

Seems to work ok for me
Old 10-27-17, 05:01 PM   #25
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleyman View Post
If anyone's interested, here are the modified files for 1.08c - I have not intentionally changed anything but I did file comparison vanilla vs modded and added missing lines where appropriate. Plus fixed that one missing tag. Presumably the mod is for older build which doesn't have all of the variables from the latest versions. End result - signatures work ok and no goofiness with the campaign menu.

Seems to work ok for me
Thanks. I've been busy lately so I couldn't update the mod to the latest patch, but I'll try to do it this weekend/
Old 11-02-17, 09:59 PM   #26
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344

In my game on the campaign loading screen the 1968 campaign option doesn't show up at all. I can only choose the '84 campaign. I figured since the mod is made for the '84 campaign leaving the '68 campaign out was intended. Should they both show up? I also have the sensor signature problem in game....can't ID any targets cause the incoming sensor signal box is blank. I'll try the missing files you found and see what works for me.

"CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 10:52 PM   #27
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCadt07
Loving the mod so far! But two things;
1. Can we talk about the TLAM strike mission. At best you have a salvo of four. Mission requires 8. I don't know how realistic it would be to expect these older boats to dance the dance for an hour while you reload. Shoot your 4 shot salvo and GTFO sounds more realistic to me.

Actually, I'm seriously thinking about it. On the other hand I've just completed one such mission, and the reload time is so long that if you play right you can end up 30 KYDS from previous firing location and it's actually a perfect spot for a second salvo.
Wouldn't it be more likely that the powers that be would assign a sub with a VLS system to do a TLAM strike that required more than 4 weapons? There were enough VLS subs available to do the job, unless unforeseen circumstances made it necessary for a older 4 salvo sub to do it. Can the mission be written so it's only available when a player chooses a VLS sub?

OR, on the other hand...what you said about using the reload time to clear datum and move to a new firing position makes a lot of sense. That was the basic plan after exposing your subs position with a TLAM launch. It just makes the mission that much harder for a older boat then it would be for a VLS sub. Can there be a second variation of the mission for older boats that will only require one 4 shot salvo and then bug out to a predetermined spot to end the game?

I dunno, I'm probably overthinking this one. Just maybe adjust the reload times a bit and use whatever boat you have. Just clear datum to a new firing position and hammer down with the second salvo. You guys will work it out fine.

I had the same issue with the Whiskey/Romeo mission. Never had a solid contact on the Whiskey, just intermittent. Granted I was heading towards him for the most part and my towed array didn't lock him in. Even when I went active I still didn't get a contact. After a few pings I got the visual of a torp launch from the Whiskey that neither I nor my sonar guys heard until the torp was almost on top of me. I fired down the bearing of my last contact with him with two torps searching a few degrees apart and eventually got lucky and tagged him close in....less then 5,000yds. I evaded the torp and left the mission. Evading the torp with the new rudder settings was difficult but not impossible. You have to overcompensate with opposite rudder commands to get the course you want. As for the Romeo, he up and disappeared. I never got so much as a sniff of him. The game is definitely much more aggressive now.

"CC"
Old 11-03-17, 12:14 AM   #28
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Currently there seems to be little or no reason to use the "rig for silent running option"
Are we sure about this? I use this quite often during a game. If I just came off a speed run to close range with a distant target, I'll drop to steerage and go silent to hopefully drop me off his sonar if he got a tag on me.

Or if I know I have a quiet boat in close, like a diesel boat and I can't get him on sonar, and I want to try and make it as hard for him as I can before we both end up going active, I'll go silent and drop to 3 or 4 kts and see if I can get him first.

I use it every time I'm coming off a torp evasion. After yankin' and bankin' at over 30kts for however long it took to beat the torp, I know that every enemy in the zip code has a lock on me. I'll change course, drop to steerage and go silent, hoping to clear datum from the last spot they had me.

So if silent running is modeled in the game and actually does help quiet the boat and make it tougher for the bad guys to track you, then I hope you guys decide to keep it in the mod doing what it's suppose to do. Thanks.

"CC"
Old 12-12-17, 05:06 PM   #29
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Hi everyone.
KFG have released a new beta of CW so I've decided to finally upgrade my mod. The latest version (1.09b compatible) is available in the download section:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5268

Here's a readme file (basically it's the same thing but compatible with the latest version of CW):
Quote:
Installation:

Place the override folder in steamapps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets

IMPORTANT!
Play at REALISTIC difficulty with 1:1 scale and 1x time.
This is for '84 campaign.

Changes from vanilla:

TL;DR

Campaign is longer and more challenging/realistic. Subs turn with actual momentum. It's easier to loose sonar contacts (works both ways). Most torpedoes are 1 hit-kill for attack subs. Larger vessels may require more. Russian subs have tougher hulls.

Campaign:
- reduced recon ranges
- time 2x slower
- increased time between events
- Soviet ground forces start in 2 more locatons
- Reshuffled missions
- number of ASW patrols increased to 5
- increased time before land forces can take back locations
- greatly increased time after being sunk
- "shore leave" after entering port takes 16 instead of 4 hours
- succesfull TLAM and commado missions will disable a base for longer (includes spetsnaz)

Movement:
- increased angular momentum for all US subs

Sensors:
- MAD detection range reduced to 400
- Detection min threshold changed from 10 to 1
- sensitivity values for all sonars reduced by 80% to keep detection ranges the same as in vanilla game

Weapons:
- new warhead sizes for all torpedoes
- new noise values for all torpedoes based on speed and propulsion types
- reduced sensor angles for all torpedoes by half
- slightly increased pitch angle for all torpedoes
- decreased acquisition range for Mark 48 to 1600.
- new acquisition ranges for all Soviet torpedoes based on real values
- decreased lifetime and effectivenes for knuckles
- increased number of noisemakers to 40
- increased torpedo reload time to 7.5 minutes

Other:
- decreased player hull strength to 0.65
- increased AI hull strength to 1.25
- increased combat repair time to 2.5

Thanks SubSim community for a lot of feedack.
Old 12-18-17, 04:03 PM   #30
kalijav
Seaman

Downloads: 117

Nice mod, however my torps do not seem to make a search pattern anymore. They just go straight. Is that intended ?
kalijav is offline   Reply With Quote