SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-20, 12:16 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

cool This Gun Coffee Brand Was MAGA Royalty. Then It Turned on Kyle Rittenhouse.

This sorta belongs to the US Politics thread, but kinda should have a thread of its own. Reasons why: there is the theme of branding and marketing,
that interests me. Of course, the way BRC hyper-hypes their brand as some klnd of fantasy warrior man's coffee. Which is funny in the 1960s Batman TV show way.

Quote:
A pro-military, pro-cop coffee company declined to sponsor the teenager accused of murder, and all hell broke loose.
The topic of the legal case of Kyle Rittenhouse is not really the focus of this thread, I'm more interested in the marketing angle.

And I thought it was interesting, in the article it refers to
Quote:
Parler users became so incensed they started searching the Federal Election Commission site for Hafer’s political contributions, which revealed that he’d donated $500 to Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, a Hawaii Democrat. (Gabbard, who has served in the military like Hafer, saw some support from a fringe of far-right personalities during her 2020 presidential campaign.)

The accusations were a stunning reversal in fortune for BRCC, which, for years, has positioned itself as the go-to coffee for conservative gun fans. “I want people who voted for Trump to know that there is another option for you,” Hafer said in a 2017 interview. “[Starbucks’ then-CEO] Howard Schultz doesn’t want your business. I do. I’ll be proud to take it.”
I didn't even know that existed but, yeah, I searched my own name and sure enough, my 2019 political contributions are listed. See, August? Full transparency ain't bad

Full article here https://www.thedailybeast.com/black-...le-rittenhouse

Quote:

The far right thought it had found the ideal breakfast beverage company. Then it took a big sip of Black Rifle Coffee and checked the news.

For years, Black Rifle Coffee Company has been at the vanguard of an emerging conservative coffee movement. Customers can start their day with a “Thin Blue Line” Keurig cup, or wind down with a nice mug of “Combat Cocoa.” This isn’t coffee for WIMPS and CIVILIANS, the company’s branding implies; it’s TACTICAL CAFFEINATION for OPERATORS.

But not even that branding has been enough to save BRCC from attacks by its far-right former fans, who accuse the company of being inadequately militant because it declined to sponsor a teenager accused of murdering Black Lives Matter protesters.

BRCC’s trouble began shortly after accused murderer Kyle Rittenhouse was bailed out of jail last week. Rittenhouse is accused of shooting three people (two of them fatally) at a Black Lives Matter protest in Kenosha, Wisconsin earlier this year. Rittenhouse, 17, became a hero of the militant far right, especially of groups like the Proud Boys that openly lust for violence against the left.

Shortly after supporters posted Rittenhouse’s $2 million bail, the host of a conservative podcast that partners with BRCC tweeted a picture of Rittenhouse in a BRCC shirt. The picture, plus its caption (“Kyle Rittenhouse drinks the best coffee in America”) led viewers to believe BRCC was partnering with Rittenhouse.

That wasn’t the case, BRCC clarified this weekend. In a video, the company’s CEO Evan Hafer stated that BRCC had not and would not sponsor Rittenhouse.

“We’re not in the business of profiting from tragedy,” the CEO of the gun-themed coffee company said. “We’re not in the business of profiting from this event. We have zero interest in collecting one dollar from any of this. It is ethically inappropriate for us to do so, or even give the perception [of profiting].”

That would be an uncontroversial statement from virtually any other CEO. But not, apparently, from a leader in the world of conservative coffee. Hafer’s statement prompted a hypercaffeinated meltdown from portions of the right, which castigated BRCC as traitors.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 05:43 PM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Harrumph. High speed, low drag coffee huh?
Old 11-24-20, 06:04 PM   #3
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Amateurs.

I drink a 24 oz shot of pure black powder STRATEGIC coffee straight from a spent GAU-8 casing.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 06:43 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Haha, that'll do the trick.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-20, 02:30 AM   #5
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

So is this "Neal's coffee thread?" Do I pimp for Dunkin now?....or is Subsim and subsim brand coffee seeking a Starbucks endorsment?

If you put Jim in a classic Batman costume, I''l buy your coffee.
Old 11-25-20, 10:21 AM   #6
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
You ought to take this with a huge dose of salt Neal. You know that the Daily Beast is a leftist propaganda publication that is just trying to sow division among their enemies.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote