SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-20, 10:06 PM   #16
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Try the Fast 90 method of attack. Much simpler, works great. Only have to determine course and speed of the target.
Old 02-02-20, 01:18 PM   #17
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Try the Fast 90 method of attack. Much simpler, works great. Only have to determine course and speed of the target.
I will search for it, thanks for your help.
foo_jam2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 01:53 PM   #18
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

There is actually NO difference between the Fast 90 method and the video linked in message #4. It is just that in the video the lead angle is computed graphically. 0.9 km along the course roughly perpendicular to a 3km length of the torpedo path, makes a 16 degree lead angle on his map. (should be 17.4 according to the numbers) The fact that the uboat wasn't completely perpendicular shows that you can still pretty much aim and hit where you intend it as long as speed is reasonably correct.
Old 02-02-20, 01:56 PM   #19
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_jam2002 View Post
I will search for it, thanks for your help.
Sure thing. Need any help, just ask.
Old 02-02-20, 09:46 PM   #20
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
There is actually NO difference between the Fast 90 method and the video linked in message #4. It is just that in the video the lead angle is computed graphically. 0.9 km along the course roughly perpendicular to a 3km length of the torpedo path, makes a 16 degree lead angle on his map. (should be 17.4 according to the numbers) The fact that the uboat wasn't completely perpendicular shows that you can still pretty much aim and hit where you intend it as long as speed is reasonably correct.
True, he has more steps than I use/feel necessary myself, but different strokes, etc.
I.e., I don't worry about torpedo speed nor that target speed radius and assoc. lines he drew. Only line on my map is the target course.

Last edited by John Pancoast; 02-02-20 at 11:28 PM.
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 01:56 PM   #21
Drakken
Planesman

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_jam2002 View Post
Thanks but it seems very confusing for me. After a long time reading the same notes again and again and watching videos again and again, having to concentrate on something like this will consume much of my time and make things complex. Now, i am at a point that i can play the game normally so i will stick to what i know. This magui seems interesting though.
Then, I suggest to concentrate on getting the ship speed first and foremost. Your target's speed is the cornerstore of your firing solution and aside of the wind speed, it is the only data point that remains constant. With practice, this should become second-nature.

a) Real u-boat captains would put themselves on the same course as the target from a long distance, then test different speeds until the target remains on a constant bearing while not getting any closer. Using your ship's speed, there you go: you got her speed.

b) If the target is within 3,000 meters range and you see a good length of her side (so between 45-90 degrees AOB), bring you boat to Ahead Stop. Ideally, you want your bow in her direction or close to her direction.

When your speed reaches 0 knots, put your periscope's sights in front of the target and do not move it. As soon as the target bow crosses the sights, start your stopwatch. Stop it only when the end tip of her stern crosses the sights.

Using the ship's length in the identification log, make the following calculation :

(1.875 X Ship length in meters) / Time on stopwatch in seconds = ship speed.

c) If you use map contacts : Make a first mark on the ship's position on the map, then start your stopwatch.

3 minutes and 15 seconds later, make a second mark on the ship's updated position and stop the watch.

Measure the distance and divide by 100, and you have her speed in knots.

Last edited by Drakken; 05-08-20 at 02:06 PM.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 07:27 AM   #22
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

When submerged, I always use the tools on the top right note pad, i.e., target distance, target bearing, target speed and usually, launch my torpedo when the shooting angle shows 0°.

When surfaced, I let my XO do the shooting ;-)