Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-11-05, 12:45 PM   #31
Fandango
Officer

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
Not at all. TMA is not the sort of thing that should be automated, it's a thought-intensive process requiring intuition and judgment. It's ideally done by a human. TMA is something that doesn't need to be done constantly too, you do it when you have data and update occasionally.

Scanning the sonar is much more mechanical, aside from classification there isn't too much judgment, it's just about seeing the lines and marking them. In terms of TIW, it needs to be done constantly; even leaving the station for 5 seconds without having a TIW warnings can be fatal. Not so with TMA.
Molon,

I still can't understand why "objectively" having a TIW warning which CAN be disabled is a bad idea...

I'm not talking about changing parameters of modifing doctrines...just something ADDITIONAL that will modify the game as it is now only if the player wants it...

Probably you've intentionally "stretched" it that much, but by gaming experience (little experience, I admit) I don't see anything FATAL in realizing a TIW after 5 seconds it occurs. And honestly, we've got simulations out there where you don't even know a missile is shot at you and where missile cruising times are matters of seconds. An example above all is Falcon 4 Allied Force...

The purpose of disabling TIW warnings is that of making you more concentrated on sonar which is the station you are probably using more. Again, when playing alone, you may want to keep the TIW warnings on but while playing in multistation, you may want to give the buddy looking at the sonar a higher degree of responsability...

- Marcus Aurelius
Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 02:01 PM   #32
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango
Quote:
Not at all. TMA is not the sort of thing that should be automated, it's a thought-intensive process requiring intuition and judgment. It's ideally done by a human. TMA is something that doesn't need to be done constantly too, you do it when you have data and update occasionally.

Scanning the sonar is much more mechanical, aside from classification there isn't too much judgment, it's just about seeing the lines and marking them. In terms of TIW, it needs to be done constantly; even leaving the station for 5 seconds without having a TIW warnings can be fatal. Not so with TMA.
Molon,

I still can't understand why "objectively" having a TIW warning which CAN be disabled is a bad idea...

I'm not talking about changing parameters of modifing doctrines...just something ADDITIONAL that will modify the game as it is now only if the player wants it...

Probably you've intentionally "stretched" it that much, but by gaming experience (little experience, I admit) I don't see anything FATAL in realizing a TIW after 5 seconds it occurs. And honestly, we've got simulations out there where you don't even know a missile is shot at you and where missile cruising times are matters of seconds. An example above all is Falcon 4 Allied Force...

The purpose of disabling TIW warnings is that of making you more concentrated on sonar which is the station you are probably using more. Again, when playing alone, you may want to keep the TIW warnings on but while playing in multistation, you may want to give the buddy looking at the sonar a higher degree of responsability...
Me neither. That's why I agreed with you that it would be nice to have. I just think fixing the way the TIW works needs to be the priority. Currently the TIW is a minor cheat, so fixing it is a high priority. An option to remove the TIW is a minor feature addition that will be used only by a small number of players in a small number of situations, so it's a low priority. What's worse is that SCS often looks for excuses not to do things (their resources are rather limited, after all), so if the TIW removal option gets done first, they might drop fixing the TIW from their "to-do" list.

You don't play against air platforms or Akulas very much, do you? 5 seconds can make the difference between getting the boat turned around in time to use your decoys properly or getting sent on a one-way trip to crush depth. It's not a stretch at all.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 05:10 PM   #33
Fandango
Officer

Quote:
I just think fixing the way the TIW works needs to be the priority.
We both agree on that...

Quote:
You don't play against air platforms or Akulas very much, do you? 5 seconds can make the difference between getting the boat turned around in time to use your decoys properly or getting sent on a one-way trip to crush depth. It's not a stretch at all.
That makes sense...

- Marcus Aurelius
Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 03:54 PM   #34
JoGary(sco)
A-ganger

Downloads: 10

Yeh manual TMA is more importaint. But i would rather see the TIW fixed so it like Bellman and Malon Labe said than have option to dosable it. Both would be good but as ML said recources are limited at SCS
http://seawolves.org
JoGary(sco) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 02:36 PM   #35
jlmr1988
Nub

Downloads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
The PM is on its way... :-)
I could REALLY appreciate it if you could send me those active sonar frequencies aswell, if you can still find them xD

Thanks
jlmr1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 03:24 PM   #36
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmr1988 View Post
I could REALLY appreciate it if you could send me those active sonar frequencies aswell, if you can still find them xD

Thanks
Unfortunately this thread is over 15 years old

Look in the "Manual" folder of your Dangerous Waters game directory and you'll find sonar profiles there. The stock game doesn't have much more granularity for active frequencies than "submarine," "surface ship," "sonobuoy," and the audio files that play when you get pinged are generally sufficient to tell those apart.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 08:59 AM   #37
KungPao
Seaman

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmr1988 View Post

Thanks

Quote:
Los Angeles - 2500 Hz
Seawolf - 2800 Hz
Akula - 4000 Hz
Kilo - 5000 Hz

FFG - 7500 Hz
Other surface - 3500 Hz

MH 60 Dip - 14000 Hz

DICASS - 10000 Hz

Weapons - all torpedoes and UUVs - 22000 Hz
Can't remember where I found this. It is probably from a pdf file that discuss DW stock platform. I copy paste it on my spreadsheet. I hope this will help
KungPao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 06:41 PM   #38
snak3gam3r!
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Unfortunately this thread is over 15 years old

Look in the "Manual" folder of your Dangerous Waters game directory and you'll find sonar profiles there. The stock game doesn't have much more granularity for active frequencies than "submarine," "surface ship," "sonobuoy," and the audio files that play when you get pinged are generally sufficient to tell those apart.
I know the thread is really old, but I didn’t know it was literally 15 years!!!
snak3gam3r! is offline   Reply With Quote