SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-24-12, 05:11 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Windows 8: Microsoft spent three years killing the Start menu ?

Quote:
Microsoft spent three years killing the Start menu and introducing a new tablet interface,” you say.
Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/10/2...#ixzz2AD4k55oK

So, any realistic, compelling reason for me to abandon Windows XP for Windows 8?
Old 10-24-12, 05:14 AM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

No but I can give you plenty to go for Win 7

Windows 8 is...well as a PC user to avoid like the plague.

HunterICX
Old 10-24-12, 05:51 AM   #3
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

hmm, lets see:

Ignoring the live tiles,

XP support is ending soon, aka, you will not get any new security patches

Windows 8 performs great, much much better than windows 7

improved touchpad gesture support

improved touchscreen support (duh)

Better file performance

DPI neutral display support (a first for windows)

Improved WiDi support

As for what is said to be a steep learning curve, it takes literally 5 minutes to learn everything in the new interface. I have used it successfully on everything from a 12 inch laptop to a 42 inch TV.

I love the fact that you can "pin" an application on the left or the right

I can be using word in full screen on the left to type up an essay, while I pin an MSN window to the right.

I mean, the only thing I can say is, head down to your local best buy (or better yet, the Microsoft store), and try it. Even if you buy a windows 8 computer, if you don't like it, you can return it. Plus, all windows 8 pro licenses (sold right now for 69.99), allows you to downgrade back to 7. In essence, you are buying a Windows 8/7 mixed license.

Give it a shot, if you don't like it, you can easily go back
Old 10-24-12, 06:05 AM   #4
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I really like a lot of things about Win8, like the ribbons in the explorer, or the fact that you can pause filetransfers. But what I could do without, is the touchscreen optimized desktop, formerly known as Metro. Gimme that start button back.

Also the handling of the apps without a touchscreen is horrid. Although I suppose even with a touchscreen they wouldn't fare much better. The IE app for example is a POS.
VipertheSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 06:15 AM   #5
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipertheSniper View Post
I really like a lot of things about Win8, like the ribbons in the explorer, or the fact that you can pause filetransfers. But what I could do without, is the touchscreen optimized desktop, formerly known as Metro. Gimme that start button back.

Also the handling of the apps without a touchscreen is horrid. Although I suppose even with a touchscreen they wouldn't fare much better. The IE app for example is a POS.

Hmm, why don't you like IE10? I'm typing this comment on IE10, and to be honest, it is absolutely the best version of IE ever (not usually a high bar, but IE9 was pretty good)
Old 10-24-12, 06:21 AM   #6
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/10/2...#ixzz2AD4k55oK

So, any realistic, compelling reason for me to abandon Windows XP for Windows 8?
As said before go with the 7.
It is absolutely rock solid version of windows with much better performance.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 06:22 AM   #7
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I see no reason to switch from 7 to 8. Reading the various performance comparisons,
the differences between the two are very minor.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 06:34 AM   #8
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Unless you plan on using a touchscreen then go for 7, but the_tyrant makes a compelling case for buying the 7 'downgrade'/8 combined - just in case. Still another eight years of W7 support, and it dominates over XP.

But there is a Win 8 exclusive version of SHO -

Old 10-24-12, 08:05 AM   #9
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I see no reason to switch from 7 to 8. Reading the various performance comparisons,
the differences between the two are very minor.
There is no reason to switch to WIN8 unless you have touch screen or must have the latest software.
Yet win8 has its purpose as OS for touch or gesture devices which seem to be the future as it seems...actually we shell see how it will turn out.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 06:10 AM   #10
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
Hmm, why don't you like IE10? I'm typing this comment on IE10, and to be honest, it is absolutely the best version of IE ever (not usually a high bar, but IE9 was pretty good)
I'm talking the App-version that you open from the tile screen...

the normal desktop variant is fine.
VipertheSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 04:22 PM   #11
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

One of the most striking things about the new Microsoft operating system – beyond the Metro user interface – is the lack of a traditional Start menu in favour of tiles. However with a desktop view available for running legacy apps, it seems likely that users will appreciate the ability to use a Windows 8 computer in much the same way as they have used each version of Windows since the mid-1990s.

Of course, this means manually switching from the Metro view – or does it? A useful registry hack can be used to disable Metro, restoring the classic Start menu and desktop view as the default user interface. Sadly this fix will only work with the Windows 8 Developer Preview, rather than with the new Windows 8 Consumer Preview, due to tighter integration of the Metro UI with the various Windows screens. However Microsoft has indicated that there will be a method to disable Metro or set the desktop view as the default for corporate users, so those of you looking ahead shouldn’t be too concerned just yet.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quickly...ace-windows-8/
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 07:00 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Metro surface is for tablets. For heaven'S sake, let's leave it to tablets, then. Like console menus rarely are comfortable on PC, they were designed for consoles, and on PCs they mostly are a pain. Using metro on a PC, with mouse and keyboard, is a compromise at best, and I read that Microsoft has deliberately deleted in past weeks any chance to have traditional Starting menu/button modded back into it, or having the traditional OS looks booting first. They want to force it onto you, you must learn to accept Metro, they want it so. The question is: why?

First, their new hardware strategy is meant to get some share from the pie that so far Google, Amazon ebooks, Applestore and such installation enjoy for themselves. They want it,l and the customer has to deliver it to them,. so their philosophy. This comes at a cost often ignored:

Second, I have no doubt that the new licensing system sooner or later will see them tightening the screws, and I think this is one of their major motivations for having designed this new system the way it is now. That means your software, love older games and simulation for example, maybe will not run anymore, for they are not bought via Microsoft's own appstore, and are not licensed. That is a perspective that is really worrying, for it also means that the quality of games is to drop.

What Microsoft does is effectively starting to implement the closed-universe business model by Apple'S appstore.

If you do not want that, you must hope that W8 will become a hurting financial disaster for them, because else they will succeed with their plan.

But there could be a benefit which already is to be seen by the fact that Steam - I still hate it - has started to develope foir Linux. They want to avoid getting caught and dried out ion the Microsoft trap. The developer of Minecraft has put down a demand by Microsoft that he should subscribe to get his program licensed for W8. Other studios and developers, I read, also have decided to leave W8 alone and not to follow Microsoft'S wish to get theirt products licensed by MS. They all said they want to develope stronger for Linux, and this could maybe - maybe - after all these many years mean a breakthrough fore Linux not just on servers and universities, but in the private PC sector as well, where it still is , let'S face it, an exception from the rule.

For the sake of future gaming and simulations, I hope that W8 blows up and explodes MS right into the face. Neal, go W7 x64. It's good, really. that tablets and gesture screens need a new OS philosophy, in principle is a non-brainer. But leave it to tablerts then, do niot mess up PC handling - it is tested and proven since 20 years. Why are there no cars with stick-control? Because steering wheels were found to work best.
Old 10-25-12, 07:05 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by longam View Post

Of course, this means manually switching from the Metro view – or does it? A useful registry hack can be used to disable Metro, restoring the classic Start menu and desktop view as the default user interface.
Are you sure? Some time ago it was reported that they have deleted the ability to use that hack, or do I mistake some things there? During public beta, that hack was used, but the latest versions delivered were unable to be hacked that way, I read.
Old 10-26-12, 03:54 PM   #14
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Are you sure? Some time ago it was reported that they have deleted the ability to use that hack, or do I mistake some things there? During public beta, that hack was used, but the latest versions delivered were unable to be hacked that way, I read.
Looking at the article it seems that corp version will be able to turn it off, guessing this means the bulk license expensive version.

Another major mistake MS?
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 12:34 PM   #15
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92

I have just installed Windows 8 Pro running in 64bit configuration and I must say it is pretty damn good the time taken to install the software is fast but the best it yet to come.
The boot up time is next to instantaneous as I hardly see the windows 8 logo (which is good because its crap)
then it takes on the look of my mobile phone which is running the android operating system.
At first I didn't like this look but I must admit it grows on you as did the next screen that again look like the apps screen on my mobile phone.
But as you use this operating system you find more exciting things you can play around with and change to suit the way you want the operating system to look or run.
You can choose to use the desktop and place items on the taskbar as with the older versions and I am still using the same programs that I use on my Windows 7 Machine so compatibility seems not to be a problem.
Ok you say but what about drivers do they all work with Windows 8 well no is the simple answer there are updated drivers for Window 8 out there for sure and as I used the upgrade assistant to download Window 8 it told me what needed to be done and also where to find the drivers needed.

Ok I am running a i5 processor with 8Gb of ram and with Windows 8 running the system is super fast.
Also the graphics are truly improved and crystal clear and I can say its well worth the effort of buying and installing it I also used the beta copy of Windows 8 but the full version is totally different I will be using the operating system from now on ok before the will it questions start I have not installed any version of Silent Hunter to Try. So I cant yet say if all will work with it or not but I cant see why not.
SeaWolf U-57 is offline   Reply With Quote