Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 08-31-10, 01:39 PM   #16
Fercyful
Medic

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 0
hey Skybird with your answers more and more I want the simulation, just waiting for the stock for buy it

(I think you deserve a FREE upgrade from them! )

Quote:
The Leopards are nice to play with, the three latest versions all with full 3D cockpits that mostly are similiar but nevertheless have all their unique features. Full 3D interior also for the CV-9035, CV9040 B and C, the Pizarro, and the Centauro, also the control console for the Lemur system. M1 and M2 also have modelled 3D cockpits, but they are not interactive and not as detailed.
so you can actually "click" on the systems inside the Leopard cockpits? that have to be great!

you can also play as the driver or "just" give commands to an AI driver?

sorry for the extra questions really enjoy the reading and keep watching videos in youtube until the happy "open-the-box" day
Old 08-31-10, 03:12 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fercyful View Post
(I think you deserve a FREE upgrade from them! )
I agree, but they never answered to my invitation to discuss this.
Quote:
so you can actually "click" on the systems inside the Leopard cockpits? that have to be great!
Partially, on some you can, as buttons are relevant for the optics of TC and gunner. But in practice, you do not use that often, at least I don't. I have all relevant controls mapped to a HOTAS I use. In case of emergencies and system failures it helps to iknow where an emergency function can be activated in the cockpoit, if that ius a rare command not mapped on the HOTAs and the keyboard command is not remembered. But truth is that in usual gameplay you use hotkeys to access the various optics, not the click-interface. The 3D interior is helpful in bthe Leopards, becaseu it allows oyu to keep an eye on the monitor with the map and the second monitor with the TIS at the same time, while easily and quickly being able to stick the head out of the turret, and then go back to the inside again. One needs to find a good combination of using the 3D interface, mouse, joystick and - if available - HOTAS. A question of taste, and routine.

Quote:
you can also play as the driver or "just" give commands to an AI driver?
You can drive directly from the driver's seats both with your head outside, or buttoned up. Also, night vision goggles are available since 2.538. but the driver's function are simplified, since it is a concession to gamer sonly, no order by their customers. There is no manual gearbox, for example, and no instruments. Manual driving is the one thing that was better done in Steel Fury. In SBP, you can also give speed and direction commands from the TC and gunner's station: conitnues turns left or right, 22°-turns, three speed settings, one revewrse setting at max speed, full stop, continue of preplanned route, find best hull-down position up to 300 m away from current position (the AI does that autonomously, then). The rocking back and forth during combat from a battle position, forward for firing, back during reloading, is done autonomously by the driver. You can 3. control the tank via "remote commands" from exterior view (if that is not deactivated by the mission designer), and you can let the tank follow the preset, preplanned network of routes with embark-conditions attached to them.

Much mission play is done before nthe mission starts: if this sim teaches oyu one ting above all others, than tactically planning ahead. Fail here, and you get blown up faster than Rambo can say amen.

If that is information overload for you, think of it as this: you can define either unlimited degree of freedom for the player how to control the tank's movement, but you can also limit player to just interior stations, just the gunner's seat, or just the TC's seat.
Old 09-01-10, 03:32 PM   #18
Fercyful
Medic

Quote:
If that is information overload for you, think of it as this: you can define either unlimited degree of freedom for the player how to control the tank's movement, but you can also limit player to just interior stations, just the gunner's seat, or just the TC's seat.
I like to be "overloaded" of info about Steel Beasts
I think the options for the driver are great and no need for any other thanks again for your replies!

ps: keep watching Youtube videos here... hope the 2.538 stock will go up this week
Old 09-01-10, 05:11 PM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fercyful View Post
hope the 2.538 stock will go up this week
Check here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/...isplay.php?f=6

you see, tanksim.com's forum is relatively non-active and small, there are the modders and fans of SF and TvT who use it, but the SBP crowd tends to leave here once they got their copies, and move to the eSim forum, because that is where the SBP music plays. Regarding SBP, this forum is somewhat a jumpgate, and I am the gate-keeper: I grab the too curious minds by their necks and throw them into the wormhole.

Bon voyage. There is a fun at the end of the tunnel.

BTW, they have a newsletter service you can subscribe to.
Old 09-02-10, 01:44 PM   #20
Fercyful
Medic

I just fall into the "wormhole" there I use the nick "Vikingo" thanks for the invitation , I'm downloading things to have them ready for the game

Old 09-03-10, 01:06 PM   #21
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

Lol Skybird, still singing SBPpe praise over here .....they should give you a free upgrade.

Got my 2.538 version today and yes I am off to the Steel Beast forums...
Old 09-03-10, 04:34 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Ah, that makes plus two on my list. three, if counting Werewolf also. - Check.

i wonder what the total score is today. judging by mails and feedback in the first year, I estimate it to be in the range between 50 and 60 people that I converted to tracks over the past 4 years. Maybe even more when considering the hit-number of my review at that time. most people who decided to buy due to it, probably have not sent me a mail.

Boy I should have become a salesman. and maybe i should switch on my pm- and emailbox again.
Old 09-04-10, 05:50 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

CDs with version 2.538 have started shipping today.
Old 09-04-10, 03:10 PM   #24
Fercyful
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
CDs with version 2.538 have started shipping today.
some hours ago I finally order it! -was wating for the stock-

Today I was reading your great 2006 review (mate now I clear remember reading it in the past when I was working at a CyberCafe and it was from you ) don't know if the simulation change that much since then but the things I read from that version I love them all. Sure in 2.538 the little bugs have to be fixed... now some days to wait and see for myself

thanks!

ps: @esim: -again- my vote for a free next upgrade for Skybird, I bought the game by reading his replies/feedback....
Old 09-04-10, 04:19 PM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

Much has changed, or better, much stuff has been added. Also, 2.538 seems to be most bugless version they have released. Except the mentioned problem with small water holes, and an apparent issue with the bridge layers that in the version pre-2538 I have not had, everything I tried so far worked as intended. Consider that review from 2006 as outdated.

2.538 really is a version to stay with.
Old 09-10-10, 06:05 AM   #26
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Ah, that makes plus two on my list. three, if counting Werewolf also. - Check.
Oh yeah, I bought a few days ago when they announced that it had started shipping again
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 11:59 AM   #27
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

Default HELP....HILFE!

@ Skybird

I have just received the package and I started to install, everything went smoothly, it lasted quite a while compared to normal, but I got the message saying that the game had been installed successfully, and then it happened! I got to the code meter bit, I put in the stick, I followed the instructions and suddenly! Error 1740, some idiot script is missing in my windows !?!?!....now I cannot get the codemeter to react, it is not fully installed, bu on the other hand I cannot make it finish its installation because everytime I insert the meter into my computer nothing happens!

I have tried to install the game 3 times now, only that verdamter code meter will not play ball.

Do you know what to do?
Old 09-22-10, 04:13 PM   #28
Skybird
Soaring

I would recommend to ask in their support forum:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/...isplay.php?f=3

It probably is related to your Windows, I assume you run Vista or W7!? If it is not that, then they may refer you to Codemeter directly, if it is an issue with the dongle software. Anyhow, the support forum is very helpful and has competent people from the company answering, so - ask them. It's the fastest way to get the issue sorted out.

You must not repeat the SBP program installation, it probably has nothing to do with it. The dongle software runs indepedent from that.

You could also enter the script name into Google and try what happens if you manually download and install it - in case your Windows indeed is missing a vital file, maybe it got deleted during an earlier software deinstallation.
Old 09-22-10, 04:25 PM   #29
Skybird
Soaring

Werewolf,

since you are offline currently, and I can imagine how it feels to need to spend time in waiting, I took the freedom to speed it up for you a bit.

Keep track of this thread, and post there from now on (as far as I know eSim does not scan tanksim forums):

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?p=186571#post186571
Old 09-23-10, 02:52 AM   #30
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

@Skybird:

Thanks a lot for helping out

Hopefully there will be somebody in there who knows what's wrong.