SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-13-10, 10:27 AM   #1
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default CGI submarine I knocked up, ideas wanted

Hi gang, used to be a regular here back when SHIII came out, and came back to check out the views on SH-V when it came out, then decided not to buy it just yet...

Anyway, for a laugh i make 3D models, and when I was bored today I decided I'd avoid the usual space ships and aircraft and instead build a submarine. Here's a couple of links, click to embiggen...

The only other sub I've made was a Typhoon some years ago, using references from the web. This was made without using any real references or anything, I just wanted to build a sort of Russian looking sub. I guess it now sort of has elements of Russian, US and UK subs as well, as I was just sticking on bits here and there that looked nice to me. I suppose it's most like the new Borei class, but I was aiming part Typhoon and part Alfa, and this is where I ended up.

It's not super detailed or anything, just something to pass the time. I should have made some masts and bridge crew for the surface shot, since I went to the trouble of making it look like an old western photo of a Russian sub stopped on the surface. I also haven't decided yet where to put the fore diving planes, and thought you guys might have an opinion. Mount them on the sail and you get less noise near the bow sonar, but control is apparently more difficult at periscope depth and you need to faff around to get through ice. Just behind the sonar you get easier depth control but more noise near the sonar. What do you guys think? Ideas? Comments welcomed.
Axeman3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 01:38 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Nice work!I'd put retractable bow planes near the the dome at the same level as the stern planes.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 09:30 PM   #3
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Uploads: 6

Very nice.

Current and late cold war Russian subs (Akula, Borei and Yasen) mount their (non retractable) bow planes aft of the sonar dome at the same level as their aft planes. I would go with that.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 02:04 AM   #4
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89

That looks super cool

Any chance to put the torpedo tubse to midsection so that the bow sonar sphere has full dominion in the front? And make them at least 6 instead of four tubes?

Anyway it's already super cool as it is you've got talent there.
Old 10-14-10, 03:28 AM   #5
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Looks like aft of the sonar dome is the place for the planes then, I'll go for that. I thought they were still using retractable planes, but it's no issue and makes my life easier modeling it. I always thought that sail mounted planes looked cooler though...

Castout, I wanted to make a Russian style sub, and they tend to have their torpedo tubes exit at the front right above the sonar dome. I therefore stuck 6 x 533mm tubes on the front, although I was toying with the idea of putting a couple of the larger tubes (620mm?) that they use as well since they often mix them together.

Having the sonar fill the front and angled torp tubes at the sides is more an American innovation. I think it makes a lot of sense to give your primary sensors priority, particulary when your weapons are fully guided. No point having straight on tubes if you dont hear the bad guy coming.

What I think I'll do is build a hunter/killer today, and give it the full radome, side tubes and any other recent innovations I can find. Again, if anyone has any ideas that I can incorporate, I'm happy to hear them.
Old 10-14-10, 04:18 AM   #6
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89

Anyway that's so gorgeous already . . . . . .!

When you're done with the attack sub pls do share it with us to droll over together
Old 10-14-10, 09:18 AM   #7
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman3d View Post
I wanted to make a Russian style sub, and they tend to have their torpedo tubes exit at the front right above the sonar dome.
The new Russian Yasen class submarine has the American style amidships tubes.

Also the pod on the stern is a lot smaller now, just a tube like on US Subs. So uncool...

Old 10-14-10, 09:22 AM   #8
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

I have to agree, the pod was better looking. You knew you had a Russian sub when you saw that.
Old 10-14-10, 10:56 AM   #9
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

That is a nice looking sub, Axeman.
krashkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 01:55 PM   #10
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Alright, I've hit a problem building a nice SSN. If I build this, what will it look like? I dont want to just build another Virginia or Seawolf, but the only difference between Russian and US SSNs these days is really just the shape of the sail. To be honest, I think the smoothed shapes of the Russian conning towers looks better and more hydrodynamic. I want to include the following items...

1. mid section torp tubes to allow...
2. full bow front sonar, and
3. VLS launch tubes, either forward or aft of the sail.
4. towed and side sonars
5. pump-jet propulsor

Beyond that I'm not sure. Maybe some fancy diver system for special forces? Any ideas would be helpful, no matter how wacky. There's also another option, where we go completely space-age on it and do a future submarine where we're not so constrained by materials, etc. I made this one a couple of weeks ago, initially as a fighter or space ship but as it went on I made it more submarine-like. Hence the sub-aqua yellow paint job and the rather impeller looking engines...

Now obviously this is just a two man craft, but if this was the future SOCOM fighter, what would the mothership look like? Worth pursuing?
Old 10-14-10, 04:59 PM   #11
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Might seem strange but for more 6th generation submarine look maybe consider VLS only. There has been talk outside of the Navy of using the VLS silos on the Ohio SSGNs for launching torpedoes.

An internal hanger below the waterline would be useful for SOF craft like on the Yankee Stretch. You can also stick one or two man SDVs in external lockers or push then out the torpedo tubes.

Also consider thinking smaller. In this age of defense cutbacks a smaller, cheaper SSN would be the route perhaps taken soon.

Old 10-19-10, 10:35 AM   #12
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

OK, here's my attempt at a quick SSN design. It's not pretty or cool looking, but it makes sense to me. US subs have been getting slower, heavier and more shallow diving over the past 40 years, so i decided it was time to reverse that trend. This boat is designed for speed and deep diving, so i went with the classic 'body of revolution' shape and as clean and hydrodynamic lines as I could. Here's a couple of quick pics of the work so far...

So there it is, a body of revolution shape rather like the experimental USS Albacore, fitted with a ducted prop and a smoothed out sail. It is about 8 meters shorter than the new Virginia class, but is nearly 2.5 meters wider across the beam which allowed me to fit 22 VLS tubes instead of the current 12 in use today. Along with the standard 4 midships mounted tubes this gives the sub a real flexible payload and lots of power.

I've still to add a few details, and it still doesn't have a towed array of any kind yet, but I'll fix that tomorrow. This is just to show what I have made today. Thoughts?
Old 10-19-10, 04:29 PM   #13
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

That's amazing!

I love it...

What program are you using BTW?

Old 10-19-10, 04:35 PM   #14
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

I use an older version of Lightwave 3D to do my models and animations. I cant afford the new version, but Sketchup cant do shapes like this easily and Blender does my head in.
Old 10-21-10, 10:46 AM   #15
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Well, I got a bit of stick on some forums for not making a futuristic enough submarine, so I tried again. This time I went deliberately a little overboard on the shape, and I've incorporated a few ideas which seem to be gaining credence. Here's the pics of the work in progress...

Here's my thinking. At the front we have some fancy sonars and passive listening, then immediately behind that would be the bouyancy tank. From there to the conning tower will be weapons bays for modular systems and launchers which can be quickly reloaded or replaced to suit the mission. There are no standard torpedo tubes as such, everything is located in the launch bays.

At the rear you have the habital spaces and a nice platform for special forces to work from. You could moor habitats or SDS style subs no problem, and using helicopters would be easier too. At the rear you have the azipods for steering, fully steerable in X and Y access for thrust vectoring. Each contains several electrically driven impellers in a shaped tube to use pressure to assist in stopping the formation of bubbles which cause cavitation noise. At the rear of the pod an external housing funnels 'clean' water around the wake to further reduce turbulence and noise.

Anything you think I've done completely wrong, bearing in mind I'm just making this stuff up?