SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-16, 03:48 PM   #46
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi idl0r
These are all choices where you only select 1.
_LSH3-2015__Addon_SH3-ClassicDials=3 < not widescreen just dials
_LSH3-2015_GUI__WIDESCREEN-Addon_SH3-ClassicDials=10

_LSH3-2015__ExtendedChallenge=5 < no black contacts
_LSH3-2015__ExtentedChallengeBlackContacts=6

_LSH3-2015_GUI__WIDESCREEN=9 > default mod with default dials

_LSH3-2015_SLS_SpecialEffects=11 < smaller effects bigger than default
_LSH3-2015_SLS_SpecialEffectsBig=12 < bigger than the special effects.

Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-16, 07:19 AM   #47
idl0r
Swabbie

Downloads: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi idl0r
These are all choices where you only select 1.
_LSH3-2015__Addon_SH3-ClassicDials=3 < not widescreen just dials

_LSH3-2015__ExtendedChallenge=5 < no black contacts
_LSH3-2015__ExtentedChallengeBlackContacts=6

_LSH3-2015_GUI__WIDESCREEN=9 > default mod with default dials

_LSH3-2015_SLS_SpecialEffects=11 < smaller effects bigger than default
_LSH3-2015_SLS_SpecialEffectsBig=12 < bigger than the special effects.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I was just looking for someone who would try to load my savegame with exactly the mentioned mods and order and try to safe my savegame by saving it again in the control room, in case that's really the solution. But for a new game I'll remove those false ones then. Either I didn't read enought or the docs weren't really clear about that. Thanks for the hint!

Last edited by idl0r; 11-25-16 at 02:42 PM.
idl0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-17, 12:11 PM   #48
Solyom2
Watch

Downloads: 40

I made the #2 solution steps months ago. Now i continued my carreer. I finished 4 patrol without any crash. So it worked, I thought.

Now, when I loaded my last save game, it crashed. I was in the middle of the sea alone (it was heavy raining, but my sonar didn't find anything).
okay, i uncheck the GWX enhanced damage and enhacd torpedo damage mod. It still crash.
Okay, i check the SH3 Commander. In my captain's textbook, the next patrol Grid is "Null". I dont know, if it caused CTD, or its because the CTD.

Delete previous save games.

Okay, i load my previous save, CTD. Previous, CTD. The game has this nice ability, if I loada newer save, the later will be deleted.

Finally, i managed to load a much earlier save in this patrol, where I was next to two neutral cargo ship in the sea, on the surface.

So, I dont know what was that. First I thought there were ships neary in the saved game, but its not the cause.
Pretty annoying.

Any idea?
Solyom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-17, 02:32 PM   #49
Harm
Seaman

Downloads: 38

Some time ago I had the same problem. Every time I loaded the savegame with commander the result was CTD.

So I tested to start without commander and the savegame loaded without any problem. Maybe it work also with your savegame.
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 07:01 AM   #50
Solyom2
Watch

Downloads: 40

Thanks, I will try it.

So i I launch the Sh3.exe without commander, load the game, if it works I make a new save.
After can I load the new save via Commander and continue patrol
Solyom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 08:21 AM   #51
Fenris_Wolf
Sparky

Downloads: 10
Icon14

The OP gets a and big thanks for saving my career as I return to replay SH3 once again after many years.

Three big cheers!!!

Old 06-28-18, 08:38 AM   #52
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Very good problem-solving thread from OP.
But in order not to invest much time in save repairs, here my simple tips:

- Very obvious: save often and accept to replay a portion of your campaign in case of save corruption; get used to save in different slots each time;
- Also obvious: different mod config needs its own saves in most cases to avoid corruption; if you change mods play with new saves;
- Saving the game in open sea with no enemy units in sight and away from ports is almost a guarantee for healthy saves;
- SH3 + GWX3 + SH3 Commander: You MUST install the special files for the SH3C; also not every SH3C setting is possible for a mod without crashing
- SH5: In case of save corruption, locate the file 'special.txt' in your save folder and erase it. Reload save.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-28-18 at 08:51 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 03:20 PM   #53
Eikson
Seaman

Downloads: 54

Hey guys,

Unfortunately I face the same issues with broken saves. I tried the read-only fix but whenever I turn read only off on a folder it automatically reverts the next time I check. Has anyone else had this issue on Windows 10?
The folder is on my C drive, but not in program files
Eikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-19, 08:21 AM   #54
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Well, that read-only option would only apply to files in a folder. Not to the folder itself. (It says so on my machine)

Besides, in Windows 10 these days it does not prevent deletion or overwriting of files. NTFS security rules (security tab in file/folder properties) determine which users (or the applications started by the user) can do what to files and folders. That checkmark is a left over from the DOS filesystem years.

WARNING: Don't go screwing around with those security settings if you don't know how it works. Since many computer users are administrator by default (first computer user on the system) you can mess up badly. You might screw up your install further, or even be unable to remove the folder or files and reinstall the game back in that place.

Personally I think the solution must lie somewhere else. It was posted as one of many actions that somehow got the OP to get the game running his/her savegames. It was never figured out systematically if this was the sole cure or solution to the problem.
Old 06-17-19, 02:30 PM   #55
Eikson
Seaman

Thanks for the clarification.

I seem to be unable to fix this issue. Restarted several campaigns and took out all particle-effects/debris related mods.

Every single savegame I try to load leads to a crash, even when following all the rules posted here (I believe some are just superstition though).

I gave all exes admin privileges and marked them as safe for my antivirus.

I tried the "read-only" method as well as the indexing/archiving method but they both changed nothing.

I also did a complete clean reinstall.

Does anybody else have an idea or does he maybe spot a mod that caused similar issues for him in my modlist?

Thanks!!

Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
ARB WideGui 1920x1080
raobf Fix
SH-5 Water for SH-3 16 Km V84
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation
New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked (for German U-Boats Compilation)
FixAllSubGWX
Alert Crew
Weather Fix
German Hits Collection
SH3 oggvorbis2
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey]
GWX - No Medals on Crew
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey - All Leather] Patch
MFM-Improved
MFM v3.3 Silhouettes by Izgud
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19390901
OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX3
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3
Sh3_volumetric_clouds&fog_V2.2
Old 06-19-19, 04:23 AM   #56
u47 1956
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Eikson,

There is a bug in the mod "TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3"

It is known to cause save games to CTD as your experiencing

Graeme

Last edited by u47 1956; 06-19-19 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-19-19, 11:49 AM   #57
Eikson
Seaman

Thank you man! I'll try that asap
Old 07-24-20, 05:05 PM   #58
mrb__
Nub

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solyom2 View Post
I made the #2 solution steps months ago. Now i continued my carreer. I finished 4 patrol without any crash. So it worked, I thought.

Now, when I loaded my last save game, it crashed. I was in the middle of the sea alone (it was heavy raining, but my sonar didn't find anything).
okay, i uncheck the GWX enhanced damage and enhacd torpedo damage mod. It still crash.
Okay, i check the SH3 Commander. In my captain's textbook, the next patrol Grid is "Null". I dont know, if it caused CTD, or its because the CTD.

Delete previous save games.

Okay, i load my previous save, CTD. Previous, CTD. The game has this nice ability, if I loada newer save, the later will be deleted.

Finally, i managed to load a much earlier save in this patrol, where I was next to two neutral cargo ship in the sea, on the surface.

So, I dont know what was that. First I thought there were ships neary in the saved game, but its not the cause.
Pretty annoying.

Any idea?
I’ll dig this one up for the record, maybe someone smarter or with a fresh approach figures out the solution.
It happens to me too, UNLESS I load up the first save of that particular sortie, but then all my patrol efforts are lost...

What I noticed on returning to the gameplay on the following day, is that the original save game (in base before mission) bears a later date and time stamp then the consecutive patrol entries
This order is not logical and you need to remember that the particular savegames are grouped under the main entry done by the game system before deploying out to the sea.

My guess is, the game engine compares both timestamps during the load up and gets stuck, you cannot be far away from your home base and at sea earlier in time then you were at the start of your mission.

One more thing, I’ve noticed too is I tend to go to sleep late at night and often after midnight, while the last savegame might have been done with the timestamp of the previous day, ie. before midnight. The game engine might be writing down that new date and time to the original entry (at home base before mission) messing up the whole structure.

Now, if only I could figure out how to change the “last modified/created” entry in Win10 for each file of the particular savegame...
mrb__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-21, 11:58 AM   #59
Dostie
Watch

Downloads: 118

I tried everything. The only thing that seems to work for me so far is to save while you are in the control room.
Dostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-21, 10:55 PM   #60
kaizerhund10
Mate

Downloads: 223

it works!!! so now do i save first then add the three mods i took out and reload?
kaizerhund10 is offline   Reply With Quote