SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-22, 04:03 AM   #1
BrendaEM
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Interior Brushpaint and Orange Peel Test

Just as a thought experiment, I wanted to try to mock a brush-paint like bumpmap for the pressure-hull interior in Rhino. This wouldn't look right for mass-produced fitted parts such as motors, tanks, electrical boxes, and the like which would have been sprayed on a production line, but it would be for interior bulkheads, hatches, ect that likely would have been brush-painted, and/or touched up while at sea.

Disclaimer: It would still need a better dirtmap over it. Perhaps it should have more orange-peel. I am not sure if your game-engine (Unity?) affords an area/interior environment map, but it helps things like this.

Also, looking at surviving UBoat pics, which may not have the correct colors, the lighting varying temperature makes finding the correct colors challenging.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysvdzen338...ttest.jpg?dl=0

At the very last minute before posting this, I just found a paint document that pointed to traceable colors for all the parts of the UBoat. These have part numbers with modern color swatches! Such as "RAL 9002 paint"

https://www-u--boot--archiv-de.trans..._x_tr_pto=wapp

The original Uboat painting document for modeling document was here: https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/u-boat_colours_with_photos_5.pdf

I might give the colors another try with official swatches. LOL: I wish it were possible to add paint drips, runs, and hangers (line of paint), but that would make it very hard to map everything right.

Last edited by BrendaEM; 08-17-22 at 04:16 AM.
BrendaEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 07:42 AM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Wow, that gives it a whole new look, doesn't it? A little dirt, a little rust, a few tool marks and you have a great effect.

I will pass this along to Einar, our Grfx guy, thanks.
Old 08-17-22, 12:45 PM   #3
BrendaEM
Mate

Thanks for posting the pic, which I seem not to be able to do.

I can share the bumpmap, but it does need more orange peel, and more dirt. When I get back I will get the color coordinates for some of the interior colors, from the paint swatches.
Old 08-17-22, 07:43 PM   #4
BrendaEM
Mate

This appears to be semi-official RAL color pallet/swatch. The Uboat colors are from their "Classic" set. This is very helpful : )

https://ral-colors.us/ral-classic-colors/

From which, I collected these swatches comparing them to the ones I found from other sources, as well as the text descriptions, such as translated: "Ivroy" give me confidence that the RAL colors are correct.
(For some reason, my dropbox links don't work.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdgg7j238i...olors.jpg?dl=0

Official German UBoat Painting Rules, text translation: https://www-u--boot--archiv-de.trans..._x_tr_pto=wapp
...which has color codes for the whole submarine--including No. 58, which is likely not RAL.

Noting that: given the lighting and narrow white balance, this sub was pretty-well color matched, showing blue hues in the grey, and cream in the white, perhaps a bit saturated from the incandescent light. There are a lot of coats of paint on this thing, with drips and hangers, that likely would not be present in the 1940s. The orange/red is totally blown out. Perhaps there's a florescent in there, exciting it.

Last edited by BrendaEM; 08-17-22 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-18-22, 03:40 PM   #5
BrendaEM
Mate

Default Colormap Test-1

As the unsolicited, ongoing, texture experiment continue. I took the RAL colors into Photoshop, and added both a dirt layer and a light rust layer. All textures are 4096's.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/376oi2xwe0...est01.jpg?dl=0

Because of the process, the rust and dirt result needs to be adjusted for each color. I will have too look at them again, though reflection and bump will hide some of the rust and dirt. Comments are welcome.

I tried to approximate the level of grunge that exists in the current texures, but perhaps they should be just a bit cleaner.

All the textures would need to be gamma-adjusted for the game-engine.

-----------------

The plan is to:
Make a decent orange-peel layer.
Recreate a better brush-mark layer.
Merge rust into a bumpmap so that the rust is faintly bumpmapped.
Export the rust so that it can be used to make a specular map, as the rust should be more matte. Perhaps I can get Awesomebump to do this, but it really needs to be tested in the engine.

I am aiming for a lot of orange peel, with some brushstrokes but less apparent than before. Looking closer rust should be visible/detectable, but not apparent. I want the player to see color first, dirt, later, and rust still later.

Last edited by BrendaEM; 08-18-22 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-20-22, 03:12 AM   #6
BrendaEM
Mate

Default Paint Test 6

Getting there. Oddly, this has a fair amount of rust on it, chips, and dirt. The ivory paint texture is getting close to the heavy-coated orange-peel seen above.
There's not really bolts there, but it's fun.

There are: 4 textures, 1 bump-height map, 1 specular map. They are 4096s.
(I cleaned up a few posts and extra pictures.)

Last edited by BrendaEM; 08-20-22 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-20-22, 08:51 AM   #7
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Ya just gota luv so many talented people here me thinks
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-22, 03:36 AM   #8
BrendaEM
Mate

Thank you, @blackswan40. Critique is good, too.

What are the texures doing bad. Not enough rust, too much rust. Not enough glop. Ect?

The materials:
Have four proper German Uboat colors
Have rust in color and bumpmap
Have a layer of filth on them
Have chips both in color and bumpmap
Have a specular map that dulls the rust

Have brushmarks (WIP)

I am experimenting with making the material duller to check the bumpmapping. I also changed the gamma/brightness on the darker texture.

I still need to redo the brushmarks, to make them a bit broader, for low-res textures, but I used Krita for that, and somehow made a custom brush.
The scene I am using is just to test the "paint" I think that in the real sub, the dark paint went down from the hatchway, depending on which compartment.

One of my friends mentioned that perhaps the texture could show the slightest evidence of touch-ups, with just the slightest shade lighter in patches. Not sure. What do you think?

Old 08-24-22, 08:29 AM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Touchup and slight irregularities with the border between gray and white would go a long way to making it look real, yes.
Old 08-27-22, 02:12 PM   #10
BrendaEM
Mate

@Onkel Neal, well, for now, I am just working on the plain fields. In my hasty test, the geometry is split at the "Ivory" and gray paint line. I don't know if on your sub model if the the paint texture has 2 colors, or if there is also a split in the geometry to differentiate the paint colors.

Certainly, once the textures are done, textures could be made from them with an imperfect paint line, which could be slightly apparent in the bumpmap.

In order to make something like a paint line or other textures that work with the geometry, I would need to know the absolute pixel scale of the textures, such as: How many texture pixels high is the paint line, in the largest texture resolution?

Also, I have seen different paint lines around the bulkhead doors. Some have the gray coming straight down from the left and right quadrant of the hatch, yet the ivory goes down lower. In some compartments, there is a lot of gray.

In my quick test, I have scaled the textures so they would repeat about twice in a long compartment, or make it across the beam of the sub once.

Also noting: there was 2 grays and 2 cream/ivory overcoat colors inside the subs. Looking at the chart some paint was fire-retardant.

For now, I will try some uniform touch-ups on the paint field textures. I've got to get tablet drivers on my laptop, too.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 09-05-22, 03:54 PM   #11
BrendaEM
Mate

In this test, I added touch-up brushstrokes, which were brighter than the rest, as fresh paint often is. The newer paint covers some of the rust.
The "Ivory" colors were made flatter for the rendering.

The paint is not as gloppy as the original because the original is 75+ years old.
I was trying to emulate a used uBoat, that might have seen use and been touched up.
These should be fairly close to the original colors, though rendering methods vary saturation and gamma. Lights also affect rendering. The lights here were warmer than the florescent used in the museum-ship below.
I will try lowering the saturation a bit to make it more what we are used to and not how it was : )
BRB

Compared to the many coats of glopped on pain on an original.

Edit: Fixed missing Light Gray Color

Last edited by BrendaEM; 09-06-22 at 02:03 AM.