Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-17-09, 02:40 AM   #16
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphy
Nice review Periscope, thanks.

I agree with everything said in the write up, and I also like Black Shark very much. This is a very good study sim and it deserves a high star rating. It's simply wonderful to fly the Shark around the map, doing the occasional cool helicopter move.

There is one thing though which isn't mentioned in the review, and that is the "tree problem".
Trees are plenty and they look good in the sim when you have all the graphics enabled. The thing is that they are not solid. You can fly through them. But even worse is that the AI can see through them, but you can not... Using trees as cover is a non option. If you do that you might very well take a good hit from SAMs, AAA gunfire or mandpads coming through the foliage.

To be honest. I haven't had big issues with this so far. Mainly because you are flying very low when staying behind trees, anyway, which tend to be sufficient to keep you out of harms way. But on a few occasions I have suffered from this problem. Especially if you are getting a bit too close to the bad guys. You have to remember that the enemy is probably tracking you already, and as soon as you are within firing range they will shoot. As you do a bob up attack from behind trees and try to quickly get a lock, they are already firing at you.
The thing is to think and perform the attack and approach as if the trees were not there. Use ridges, small elevation differences and even houses for cover. Stand of tactics and coordinated attacks with wingmans also do wonders. This works very well indeed, just remember that there is no hiding in the trees here.

ED is fully aware of the problem and there might be a solution for this coming up.

cheers Porphy
Thanks for the comments porphy. I didn't know about the tree issue. I've had one incident where an ATGM seemed to come out of the trees at me, but I just assumed it had skimmed over them.

And BTW, I understand Neal's downloaded Black Shark recently. Liking it Neal?

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 02:58 AM   #17
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Doggone server transition is getting in my way of installing it

Soon!
Old 03-18-09, 03:29 AM   #18
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Nice work. The forum is really fast now Neal.

Time for you to start up the Shark, me thinks. Be careful the first time taking it out though, it can be a bit wild.

I guess you already have read about how trim works in the Shark, but it really is essential for flying this one! All kind of bad things happened to me before I got that technique down.

cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 11:26 AM   #19
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

That was a nice review. I just love the attention to detail in the startup process. The amount of detail in the cockpit is immense. What was written in the review sounds spot on. You could immerse yourself in this simulation just flying it without geting to the part of employing it's weapon systems.

While I haven't yet installed the game I did watch a display of it by the owner of RCS Simulations here in the UK on his full on fancy simulation machine with triple screens, mounted on a moving platform. Ayway the purpose of the demo was to look at how the Track IR4 Pro works with DCS Black Shark.

First he flew it without TRack IR 4 Pro. I was struck by just how much of a workload the Blackshark pilot has. Then he ran a demo with the track IR and it's full 6DOF functionality. This display convinced me to finally purchase a head tracking system beng te Track IR4 Pro. Quite frankly I'm not sure why I didn't get around to it a while ago cnsdering how many hours I have spent in IL2, Janes F15, Janes F18, and so on.

Ayway the drive to Bristol was well worth it and I have my Track Ir4 Pro which is great in GTR2 and no doubt will come in for some heavy use with DCS Blackshark. So my advice is to purchase hardware such as the Track IR4 Pro. I also own a Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS system along with the Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Fingers crossed that there is more to come frm DCS with at least another module being the A10.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 03:40 PM   #20
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

If all goes according to plan, there should be quite a number of modules. Possibly Apache, Flanker, Eagle, Fighting Falcon and Hind. Just rumors as far as I know, but very promising.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 02:26 AM   #21
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

I've heard that KA-50 is available in Russia. When will it be available in the US? I have yet to see it in the stores.
Old 06-22-09, 01:21 PM   #22
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

It is avalable in english, im currently useing it... I realy like this game also, dont think ive ever seen a cockpit with sutch detail.
Old 07-20-09, 05:01 AM   #23
Arclight
Navy Seal

Best thing ever. Been waiting for a sim of this fidelity from the first time I played a flight-sim. If you're into this kinda stuff, it simply doesn't get any better. I'm talking about the flying aspect; some might say it could do with a dynamic campaign (personally I don't have any complaints about what's in place).

Considering the rarity of a product like this, flight-sims being a niche, there's absolutely no excuse for not getting this. A must-fly.

Old 07-20-09, 05:51 AM   #24
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Yep, great game, just cant hover... (never been able to since I first started.)
Old 07-20-09, 08:07 AM   #25
Arclight
Navy Seal

Ehr... auto-hover?

If you trim it right, it practically hovers on it's own.

Old 07-20-09, 08:08 AM   #26
Task Force
Rear Admiral

whenever I try that I usualy go WEEEEE WEEE WEEEEE in circles.:rotfl:
and my joystick is acting us, my z axis is leaning towards the right.
Old 07-20-09, 08:17 AM   #27
Arclight
Navy Seal

Takes some time to learn to work with the AP. If you're spinning around, you might have trimmed some rudder. Use ctrl+enter to bring up display of control input, easy to see how much input you're giving or how much trim is applied to cyclic and rudder. Also make sure the FD isn't active; the "hold" functions of the AP are overridden and only dampen movements.

Increasing the deadzone on an axis should allow you to tune out unwanted input when it is centered.

So much to learn, so many switches... fantastic.

Old 07-20-09, 08:50 AM   #28
Task Force
Rear Admiral

I use the "push all the buttons" method....
I look at it this way.... all the buttons have to do something...

Well... that method has gotten me halfway there.... but sadly all I get is the sound of the starter and no engine...:rotfl:
Old 07-20-09, 09:22 AM   #29
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force View Post
I use the "push all the buttons" method....
I look at it this way.... all the buttons have to do something...
I'll quote a finnish game review of Blackshark:

Quote:
There's a million vital buttons and switches in a helicopter which just wait for the smallest excuse to cause a spectacular catastrophe.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 09:58 AM   #30
Arclight
Navy Seal

Guess we could always try a small MP session, walk you through the start-up procedure. Or head over to the DCS forum, or read the pilot's manual. The videos can help, but are a little fast paced for a beginning pilot.
Quote:
There's a million vital buttons and switches in a helicopter which just wait for the smallest excuse to cause a spectacular catastrophe.
Those cut-off switches in particular can be nasty.