SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-22, 10:33 AM   #16
Rob Jacobsen
Mate

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kelvin View Post
Though once when I did a supply drop, the rubber raft somehow capsized as it deployed, so I ended up leaving the area while watching the two men in the raft row towards shore upside-down...
That happened to me, too. The next time, I tried it, I hit POSTPONE and waited several minutes to be sure my sub had come to a complete stop. Doing that kept me from running over the boat.
Rob Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 12:12 PM   #17
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Wake the dead.... wake the dead...

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 07-02-22 at 02:32 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 12:26 PM   #18
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Don't let Aktungbby catch us, or we'll get a thread necro award:

but... I have gone to insert Commandoes, and they carry apparently carry a good bit of explosives, which makes for nice explosions and fire when you run them over...

tough guys, staying with the boat...
And these while at 3 knots, turning away to the port, and they STILL got into the side of the sub and did that... lol - I have even ordered Slow Reverse and right rudder, and they manage to get into the boat and either dunk themselves upside down, or blow-up and catch fire. You just never know if the raft crew will paddle left or right, foward or back... Thankfully, no damage done to the submarine, or the division commander would have our stripes...

PS: Maddy - your link seems to be private, or somethin'...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 12:44 PM   #19
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

There's an extra https in the link.
Proper link
Old 07-02-22, 02:39 PM   #20
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

Don't let Aktungbby catch us, or we'll get a thread necro award:

That necro award, should properly go to:

Rob Jacobsen

since it was them, that... woke the dead...

PS: Maddy - your link seems to be private, or somethin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
There's an extra https in the link.
*sighs*

It appears I goofed on doing the yt vid clip share, as Jeff so graciously pointed out, propbeanie... have... fixed that... blunder I did.

problem... solved.

M. M.
Old 07-02-22, 04:19 PM   #21
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Wake the dead.... wake the dead...
WAKE THE DEAD!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 02:23 PM   #22
DS
Planesman

Downloads: 85

I'm coming back to SH4 after many years away from it.

I'm also having problems dropping supplies from a U-boat after electing to postpone the drop (air raid was in progress when I arrived).

I see the little crate icon in the top right corner of the screen but clicking on it does nothing. I'm within range of the shore at 0 knots...

Am I missing something?

P.S. thanks to the folks that created FOTRS Ultimate. Not only a great mod, but it got me running SH4 in Win10 without crashes.
Old 12-22-23, 03:26 PM   #23
propbeanie

Oh NO!!!!

But seriously, this is a rather common problem with SH4. and there are several old posts on the site, such as Beery's Guide: How to Complete a Mission that can give some clues. What he stated there as far as distances etc., can all be different with each mod set, but does leave other details out. Some drop-offs are 3km, some are 5km, some are 8km, etc. With FotRSU, we usually (not always) draw a circle for the drop-off area. You must be within that circle for the drop-off to initiate. If a circle is not drawn for you, then the orders for the mission will state the area (hopefully), and it is usually given in nautical miles of radius for the circle from a given point, which is usually signified with the Objective marker of a Star.

Your sub must be fully surfaced, and your boat must be set to All Stop. It is also recommended to be from 0-2 knots maximum speed when dropping, else there is no way to avoid contact with the boat, and having what is shown in Post #18 above from happening. The Objective though is usually a "drop", so even if you destroy what you drop, the Objective should still complete - usually.

However, when you have to delay a launch from enemy forces in the area, and you come back to do it later, or surface after having dove to hide your presence, you have to initiate the launch for the 2nd time. So when you first came into the launch area, there is a pop-up "Ready to launch boat", or something to that effect, but then you get an "Aircraft spotted, sir!" and "We're under attack, sir!!!", and you then click on "Postpone" and skeddadle, when you again come into the launch area and do All Stop, you do not get the same automatic prompt. But you do see the little blue square in the upper right of the screen... Just left-click with the mouse on that box, and presto "We're ready to launch the boat, sir" pops up again.

If that doesn't do it, then Save the game, exit the game, start the game again, load the Save, and try clicking that box again. It might be that something 'computer' interfered with your mouse click... Let us know how it goes for you!

Last edited by propbeanie; 12-22-23 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 04:08 PM   #24
DS
Planesman

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately, no luck. I saved, exited, reloaded. Clicking the crate still did nothing. I left to 12nm out and returned, still no go. Constant air attacks did not help either. Not sure if the presence of enemy prevent delivery (as it probably would in RL).

Mission was the 1943 Penang to Davao delivery.

No worries. I'll start a new campaign (and never postpone delivery again! )
Old 12-22-23, 04:52 PM   #25
propbeanie

The German side should work like the US side in this regard... what you could try is to leave the circle area, going out to about 42km, then come back into the area, only before you get within say about 12km, submerge, and come into the area under the surface. Stop that boat, and then surface in the drop zone. But realistically, you should not be seeing ANY US or British or any other Allied planes in the Davao area in 1943... Rabaul maybe, but not Davao... lol

Old 12-23-23, 03:44 AM   #26
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The German side should work like the US side in this regard... what you could try is to leave the circle area, going out to about 42km, then come back into the area, only before you get within say about 12km, submerge, and come into the area under the surface. Stop that boat, and then surface in the drop zone. But realistically, you should not be seeing ANY US or British or any other Allied planes in the Davao area in 1943... Rabaul maybe, but not Davao... lol
maybe Wendell Fertig and American-Filipino guerrilla force got their own AirForce now
Old 12-23-23, 11:16 AM   #27
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS View Post
Thanks for the tips but unfortunately, no luck. I saved, exited, reloaded. Clicking the crate still did nothing. I left to 12nm out and returned, still no go. Constant air attacks did not help either. Not sure if the presence of enemy prevent delivery (as it probably would in RL).

Mission was the 1943 Penang to Davao delivery.

No worries. I'll start a new campaign (and never postpone delivery again! )
i have had to retreat from a drop-off previously and, although i cannot remember which modset i was playing, i do not think that it matters because this action is most likely unmoddable.

IIRC, when i returned to the drop-off area, the small drop-off icon appeared in the icon-alert-space and the game did NOT pop a window notifying me that i could make the drop or postpone it until i clicked on the drop-icon. then it generated the pop-up decision box.

not sure what the issue is with your instance. two suggestions. Firstly, i would delete everything in the SH4\Data\Cfg\ folder except for the two folders that have "save" in their name. you will need to re-select your game options in the Career screen, not the main screen before you re-load your saved career.

secondly, if the first fix does not cure the problem, i would run through the Mod Soup fix. and then reload the saved career.

if these two do not fix it, then there is something uniquely hosed-up (technical term) with your installation. no offense intended.

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-23, 06:58 AM   #28
DS
Planesman

I tried one last time, exiting the program and reloading, then exiting the area by 62nm, returning submerged and surfacing at zero knots in the drop off zone. The crate button still did nothing. The air attacks were also no longer present.

No worries. I'm moving on.

BTW, the aircraft attacking Davao in 1943 were multiple PBYs and at least one Hellcat like single engine carrier plane. All USN.

Have a Merry Christmas all!